Why "Successful" Games Not Popular Here?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Hyman_1990, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Hyman_1990

Hyman_1990 Active Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Hong Kong
    I am new to TA forum. And I found that TouchArcade forums and the players here have a more unique favour of mobile games.

Because for the games that are so popular in all kinds of leaderboards (from Supercell and King), they are not popular here and not so discussed here in "iPhone Games" section. Why is it so?

2. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #2 JasonLL, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    I don't find the Supercell and King games as egregious as some people but I believe most people who at least post on the forums generally come from the pay once and play generation. There are probably tons of lurkers on these forums that enjoy both types of games and I wouldn't be surprised if many preferred F2P over Premium.

It could be that some lurkers who enjoy F2P don't want their opinion torn to shreds or feel like there is a strong possibility of negative backlash if they post something in favor of those games, I don't know for sure. Lurkers who have been around awhile may have good reason to believe that since pro F2P articles posted by Eli Hodapp on the TouchArcade main page seem to be met with highly entertaining hostility.

Despite the pro F2P articles TouchArcade is still generally more of a Premium friendly place as far as game coverage but without the all F2P must die attitude of other well known mobile gaming websites.

Or it could be that forum posters feel that those games have been discussed at length. Lesser known F2P games such as Terra Battle, Pocket Mine 2, and the new Mabinogi Deul get high praise in their respective topics.

My belief is it may be a little bit of both.

3. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    We play plenty of freemium games, they just are not new and the newest games dominate the early pages. Games like CoC and candy crush have their own official forums, no need to dwell on them here.

4. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Because TA is harccore gamer's domain, and games from appstore tops ( like Candy Crush and CoC) are boring, primitive due they are made for mass audience.

5. Deadpool6902

Deadpool6902 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    See, TA deals with games that are amazing but not shown in the AppStore that way.

6. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    At least in my experience, those games are very stripped down experiences designed to serve as mildly entertaining time (and money) sinks. At TA we typically look for more than that from our mobile games. Also, the genres they take place in are typically not new and exciting (match 3s like candy crush have been around since games you could play on an ipod with a click wheel).

7. Hyman_1990

Hyman_1990 Active Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Hong Kong
    I agree with you. For every community, there must be something that makes them unique. The initial players and reviewers in TouchArcade have shape this community in this way and attracted the people with the same values.

8. Hyman_1990

Hyman_1990 Active Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Hong Kong
    King and Supercell having a forum may contribute to this, but I think it's more about the taste of this forum?

9. Hyman_1990

Hyman_1990 Active Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Hong Kong
    So do you guys think that still a large amount of players in this forum also enjoy Supercell/King's game, while at the same time enjoying the game of TA's taste?

10. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Possibly, possibly not.
    Supercell/King games usually are kind of 'diversion' games - you'll play them for five minutes, periodically throughout a day, for example.
    A lot of the games TA members like require a bit more of investment - you get the most out of them by playing for sessions of 30-60 mins, perhaps even longer if you have the time.
    I can definitely see people enjoying both types, but I find that when I try to play both I end up not really enjoying either. So I just play premium mostly.

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Successful does not necessarily mean the best game. And by this, i mean that the term "best" is very subjective.

King and Supercell games are the casual types, ones which appeal to as many players as possible, and even reinforced by their social mechanics.

Touch Arcade caters to ALL user types, but the fact is, a huge percentage of those casual gamers (take note, that is not a bad or offensive term at all) are friends, moms, dads, sisters, brothers who do not play a lot of games before, but then had access to these casual games since everyone now owns a smart phone. Fact is, my mom, your non-hardcore gamer best friend, or his/her sister wont visit or even try to search for Touch Arcade.

Those that do look for a site like TA, are those who are into mobile gaming in general, and not only for those types of games. Those who are into general mobile gaming, have developed a certain understanding of what these games have to offer and how they differ from each other (in terms of pricing, mechanics, grind, etc.). These guys want to know about the games they play, and not merely play a game because everyone else they know also plays it.

That said, TA most definitely has regulars who enjoy these supercell and king games, but, chances are, these are the ones who also play a certain gaming demographic outside of casual gaming, which drove them into checking out and sticking to a gaming site like TA.

At least that's how i see it.

12. Hyman_1990

Hyman_1990 Active Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Hong Kong
    Thanks Exact-Pscience! This explains a lot!