How many people to make Iphone game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by boardgameguru, Aug 15, 2010.

1. boardgameguru

boardgameguru Active Member

Jun 30, 2010
    How many people does it take to make an Iphone game?

Say a game like a multi player word game?

2. Just one if you are multitalented. Usually, if jobs break up, it might be along lines of having a programmer and a graphic designer. Or maybe also a music/sounds guy.

A word game might not need particularly fancy graphics. And could, perhaps, use freely available music or something. Or you can do it all yourself, if you have the skills.

3. boardgameguru

Jun 30, 2010
    Thats 3 then.

I already have graphics.
    The trouble I am having to find people drives you nuts

4. woody

woody Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Jagimo creator
    Brooklyn, NY
    What are the roles required for the game?

- App developer
    - Server/database developer
    - Designer/artist/UI designer
    - A/V technician
    - Tester
    - Marketing
    - Legal
    - Accounting
    - Writer/editor

I'm guessing that many developers play all or most of the roles themselves. And some of the roles may be minimal or not necessary for a particular game. It seems that developers are not usually good designers or marketers.

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I know and have beta tested a great number of awesome games that were one man projects. So if you are asking for the least amount it takes - it would be one - yourself. If you were getting together with some friends to make a company and all that, then as many as you wanted to pay or share the profits with.

6. It's anything from 1 to 20.

It really depends on the project and the goal of it.

I think that we will slowly start to see the bar of the Appstore rise alot in the future, making it harder for really small development teams to get a foothold. But there will always be a place for great indie games.

7. boardgameguru

Jun 30, 2010
    Scrabble

IF you think of Scrabble with some graphics multi player and a single player (but its way better and fun than Scrabble) Then you get the gist.

Incidentally why did those nasty Hasbro people sue Scrabulous?

Was it because they failed their own Scrabble so decided to crush the competiton?

I dont like people like that.

8. boardgameguru

Jun 30, 2010
    Oiginal

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nope- this is already in board game form it just needs making into a game however I am not artist programmer audio wiz or anything like that I can just invent board games however money is needed to get cash flowing for other projects as this game can be made into a little industry.

IT can be educational software too and Facebook Bebo etc. allsorts but as I am nearly penniless and nobody recognises my general work skills giving me a job I'm in a catch 22 and I tried licensing but its incredibly hard.

So the only way is do it yourself ad reap the big rewards.
    Iphone game I thought would make quick cash to get going.
    Howver I am not a businessman or have confidence running a business or hiring people as a paid job.

This game has also been in UK shops but only broke even the little time it was on shelves.

But thats quite a feat in itself for a one man band
    Guess Ill keep dreaming in poverty in this short life.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Most people won't do profit sharing with a smalltime (practically non-existent) company, so you're gonna need the money to pay them for the work they do straight off. It's not cheap.

10. FavoriteIGames

FavoriteIGames Active Member

Aug 15, 2010
    I'm willing to give ideas for free :D

I love puzzle games, especially ones that quickly goes to the next level, and having to get 3 stars for maximum points.

there's not alot of quality Carnival games out there, gambling games are fun too.:p

11. Hold your horses, who ever said that making an iPhone game would make anyone quick cash? Those days are more or less long gone. Read up on the subject, the "easy" days are over.

12. Philipp

Philipp Well-Known Member

I'd say it completely depends on the scope of the game, as well as the persons creating it. I did an iPad game (Ogs) myself because I like both programming and designing and also dabbled with music some years ago, so for a simple casual game with a clear scope that works (for me with thanks to PhoneGap, which allowed me to do it in JS). If your project is bigger in scope you might need more programmers, graphic artists, musicians, level designers, perhaps marketing, testers, later on translators, and so on, growing to dozens or even hundreds of people, like a movie might.

I tried to find partners for programming in a profit splitting team. For that, I advertised at StackOverflow, which costs a couple of hundred bucks for some weeks but got a great amount of great feedback. I can only suggest this. However, it's not easy. I noticed that when no "prior" money is involved, project partners often tend to prioritize their other (paid) projects higher, so that the project might fall apart due to slow progress.

For another project I found programmers at RentaCoder.com. That works though you will need to go through quite a bit of applications for your project, many of which look like general templates being offered to you with no specific replies to the project.

13. boardgameguru

Jun 30, 2010
    Help

Appreciate that-but Rentacoder I thought of they are not really game oriented type people I thought.

14. boardgameguru

Jun 30, 2010
    Console how to?

I was also wondering how to get console discs made and a game on those?

China or Taiwan I suppose?

15. Philipp

Philipp Well-Known Member

I've only had experience with developing apps with the help of programmers of RentaCoder. I don't know about games specifically. One app is called Magic Artist, you can find it in the App Store (I had prototyped the main drawing algo with JS-Canvas, and the programmer took that as basis for the Objective-C implementation). I suppose games are merely a special type of app so I guess it's also possible to find programmers for that at RentaCoder, though I guess games are especially complicated to program (sprites movement, game AI and what not), so maybe that's what you're getting at... and you may be right, I don't know...

16. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Experience is the key thing here...

If you are making a game and learning at the same time then mistakes will be made - which is part of the learning period. This will waste time.

If you have multi-talented skills then communication will not get in the way as you build the game and couple that with experience then you can bang out some simple games very quickly.

An example of experience and multi-skills can be seen in what we did with Jet Car Stunts.

Luke handled all the game coding, the physics engine and art and design.

I handled all the iPhone programming and all the online stuff, plus the techniques to use to get the best out of Opengl es.

So for us it took about 6 months and 2 people to put together JCS, plus 1 other person who we outsourced the sound too. It did help that Luke and I have a ton of experience between us working on mobile and car games.

As I said experience is the key factor here... And anyone hoping to make a game from scratch while learning - don't expect much from the App Store in return. But keep trying because each game will gain more experience and eventually rewards. I do stress if you fail just pick yourself up an try again and never give up - that is the only way to learn.

17. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    For me, one. :(

Sometimes that's a good thing too, hard to work full hours being a student.