How to record my gameplay with best quality?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by GameVision, Nov 9, 2012.

1. GameVision

GameVision Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2009
    I need to record gameplay footage for making trailer. I tried reflectionapp with my new 13 rmbp and ipad3. The frame rate is unstable. Any other suggestion? Please help! :mad:

2. GameVision

Sep 27, 2009
    any one? HELP!!!~~~~:confused:

3. EFGames

EFGames Well-Known Member

I'm using a Capture card with the Ipad HDMI Cable.
    http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/

It's a bit over the top (and not too cheap), but I can record footage from other devices as well (PS3 for example...)

4. GameVision

Sep 27, 2009
    I tried reflection again today. It turns out ok with frame rate. I guess my wifi was not that good last night.

:)

5. Silvanis

Silvanis Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    co-owner of Silver Moonfire
    Interesting. I tried a similiar setup (HDMI, capture card) and was blocked by HDCP protection from recording anything. I was using an AverMedia card instead of Black Magic, but I would assume the Black Magic respects HDCP as well. Since you also mention the PS3, it sounds like you found a workaround for this. I'm very interested to hear what that workaround is.

6. EFGames

For the Ps3, because I'm using a development kit, I have the ability to turn off DHCP.

For the IPad, only recorded games footage. Recording movies is very likely to be restricted, but to be honest, I didn't try.
    I'll do a test to check.

7. klo

klo Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Try the Kamcord SDK (http://kamcord.com/documentation/). It lets you record video and audio from your game without any additional hardware, and it's totally free. If you use the "trailer resolution" setting, you should be able to record high-quality videos.

8. JasonS

JasonS Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Game Dev @ Fun Mob Games
    Australia
    If your looking for best quality possible, I would have to recommend getting a hardware capture device. Depending on how serious you are will depend on what device u use. TA uses the elgatos-game-capture-hd from what I read. I've just ordered an avid media game capture hd device, that allows you to capture video without being connected to a pc/Mac, by hooking up an external Storage source. I'll have it next week sometime and will give it a try and let u know the quality. (supposed to do 720p).

There are many other options a list of game capture devices depending on your budget and how serious your are. Also, if you can afford it, consider paying a professional to create a awesome trailer.

9. EFGames

So, I actually just tried to capture from Netflix and looks like the BlackMagic card was able to bypass HDCP as I was able to record footage...
    I then tried to record from Amazon Prime video and video was blank (still got audio).
    No problems recording games.

And given that I'm using an Ipad 3, it's recorded at 1080p :)

10. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    I may have to repurchase the adapter and try again (I returned it thinking it was useless for my purposes). I was planning on going the AirPlay route (with AirServer), but I'll have to take a closer look at video quality.

Glad to know that it worked for someone though.

11. tofusoup

tofusoup Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    I highly recommend el gato for ease of use. It was simple to setup and get going. You can look at some of the games i've recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/t0fus0up

12. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

13. wearepinata

wearepinata Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    iOS Game development
    Adelaide
    How did you go with your avid media game capture hd device? I'd love to see some video if you've got any examples :)

14. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

All our stuff is recorded with avermedia card as well. We have to use a workaround in order to bypass the HDCP though, but its an easy one.

15. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

With the Avermedia Game Broadcaster you shouldn't need a workaround for HDCP. It's been several months since I've used it - trying to remember if I used the iPad 2 or 3. But I just plug it in and it works. I think you need to use the VGA adapter though, not the HDMI, maybe that's the trick. Sorry, memory is a little fuzzy.

Anyways, it works really well. I used it for this video - compressed of course for Youtube. Try to ignore the music.

http://www.mdigitalmedia.com/daredevildave2/index.htm

I bought the wrong card first but their tech support (online) is pretty good and I exchanged it. Crappy and ugly UI but it's really easy to set up and use.

16. dprichard

dprichard Active Member

Oct 23, 2012
    #16 dprichard, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    Reflection works for me but...

Reflection works for me but the Audio can be hit or miss. Sometimes I get a little hick-up and the sound will jitter. I generally replace the audio with a different soundtrack for my game videos anyway so it all works out for me. I'm still a noob when it comes to video anyway but I'm getting better.

17. klo

klo Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Love your trailers, dprichard. If you would be willing to share the video files with us, we would really like to promote them in our forthcoming Kamcord mobile gameplays app. Shoot me an email at kl (at) kamcord (dot) com if you would be interested!

18. JasonS

JasonS Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Game Dev @ Fun Mob Games
    Australia
    Ok, finally got a chance yesterday to sit down and have a play with the Avid Media Capture HD.

Firstly, If you are buying this for iOS recording only, then DON'T. The device itself is very nice and easy to use, however I ran into a problem when trying to connect an iPad.

You see the Media Center HD uses component cables(5 x RCA plugs) for input. This is fine because apple sells an AV component cable for iDevices.
    Problem is MIRRORING is NOT supported with the component cable, only TV-OUT enabled apps are displayed through the cable(youtube app, videos, photos, etc). This means, if you want to record trailers with this device, then you'll need to incorporate tv-out functionality in you app/game. This isn't really a big problem, however it's not what I was expecting.

So I have a few options:
    a) Enable my games for TV out.
    b) Buy the "AV HDMI out" cable from apple and get a HDMI to COMPONENT convertor. (the HDMI cable and VGA(DSUB) cable will do MIRRORING)
    c) Sell it and get a proven solution.

So, I'm leaning to option c) because if I choose a) I don't want to be limited to only recording my apps that i've enabled for TV-OUT. If I choose option b) then the cost of the whole set up becomes more than a Higher End capture card.

So moral of the story, If you want to record XBOX, PS3 or any other component connected device then the Avid Media Capture HD seems great. Easy to navigate and use. But If you want it for iOS video of anything, you are better off with a proven device like Elgato's or Avid's other options.

So.......any chance anyone wants to buy a near BRAND NEW Avid Media Capture HD?? :eek:

19. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    there are alot of different aver media capture cards.. why did you go with the component one?

@ forsaken: as for hdmi out is hdcp enabled during games? would be odd.

20. Silvanis

Nov 2, 2012
    I can confirm (having just tried it yesterday) that HDCP protection is enabled for everything that is output from an iDevice. (Using both an iPhone 4S and an iPad3)

So using a reflection/AirPlay app seems to be the easiest way to get your game onto your PC. Using the AV adapter is going to involve jumping through some hoops to bypass the HDCP protection.