These reviewers

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Oceraux, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Oceraux

Oceraux Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    I'm kinda hating some of the reviewers that rated the best games I've ever played low, especially IGN, the games that should be rated low - rated high, the games that are very awesome and addictive - rated frikin' low. But I'm not hating on TA, they are the best app reviewers ever, the other one would be 148apps.

And Gangstar IV, too. Lots of 2/5 or near to that, but 4 stars would be the appropriate ratings for that game.

2. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Well a review is one person's opinion so why the hate? They have the right to express what they think the flaws of that game are and if it bothers them or not.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I wouldnt get too upset. I've learnt that we all have such varied tastes. Some games i see and think 'ha ha this looks rubbish' and a minute later someones posting how great the game is.

Reviews are frustrating though, on 'some' sites the reviews seem to always be low. As for app store reviews they're just the worst, some kid giving a game 1/5 stars because it only has 100 levels for his 99c etc !

In your view Gangstar should get 4/5, read quite a few opposite opinions for that game though.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Appstore reviews are teh worst.

I am somehow inclined to think that some of these big-name reviewers' reviews may be influenced by their "connections," however thoughtful or shady they may get.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    If theres a decent couple of sentences on an app store review i tend to believe those. But if its just a few words like 'this game sucks' or 'this is an amazing game' i just think of all of those as fake.

Might not be the case but after seeing so many obviously fake reviews its difficult what to believe.

6. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    Some reviewers just don't care about playing the game further and learning more about it, example is ########'s Kinetic Damage review, I love that game.

Some are just ain't opinions, though.

7. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    Agreed to the app store reviews, I HATE those kids complaining their games don't launch on their iTouch 4ths. I guess they've just wasted their parents' money.

8. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    If it's a good review, you'll be able to tell what will and won't appeal from the description given of the game and its elements. If a reviewer just states, "I liked this," or, "I didn't like that," and never explains why or links that to the relevant mechanic, it's probably not a very helpful review. A solid professional review is never "just somebody's opinion", but unfortunately many game reviews on the net – often even on "professional" sites – are written by amateur fans and hobbyists who basically write reviews with all the impartiality and depth of a Facebook status update or blog post.

If a reviewer goes on and on about how awful a game is just because it includes a virtual joystick, that won't necessarily mean much to somebody who likes this type of control scheme. Merely mentioning the existence of the virtual joystick is enough to go on with, unless there's something out of the ordinary about it: people who like them will be okay with that feature, and those who don't will have been forewarned. Knowing that the reviewer personally doesn't like something is worthless to me, and won't have any impact on my view if the review is written properly.

Excess personal value judgements just cloud the issue; we're sitting at over seven billion people worldwide, so a personal "opinion review" made up of likes and dislikes is no more valid or concrete than the potential seven billion other such subjective opinion pieces. Just give the facts of the matter and let people interpret them for themselves. Do you like something? I don't care; tell me why you like it, tell me about the mechanic itself. Is something "too hard"? Not useful, tell me why you think it's "too hard", because it might be something I find easy. If something about the game is "broken", it had better be objectively broken and not just something the reviewer couldn't figure out.

9. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I have been approached to do some paid reviews for the AppStore. The individual shamelessly advised me to post positive reviews in exchange for a small fee. On principle, I turned them down.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Good on you

I always moan about some of the competitions here, quite surprised by some users. The ones where its 'to win $15 itunes voucher download our free app and leave a review....'. Obviously everyone leaves good reviews whatever the app is.

There was one app about babies/toddlers the other week, i'm positive 99% of the users who entered havent a clue whether that app was good for toddlers or not ! They just want to try to win $15.

11. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Gotta disagree with ya there a bit. Regardless if it's a professional (or not) review, it's ALWAYS just someone's opinion! Their impressions, their thoughts, observations, what they like or don't like, whether it reminds them of another game, or whatever, is just their opinion! Your little rant on the subject is just YOUR opinion! There's no right or wrong! No one person is gonna ever be perfect. That's why we read multiple reviews to help form our own decisions. So, basically you're saying that forums like this are useless? I guess according to you, YOU'RE the only one qualified to review accurately. So, I s'pose you've got a lot of work to do, bud! But seriously, these things, like Yelp, are supposed to be made up of people's opinions, and that's what they all are, that's what a FORUM is. You take a little here and a little there, throw out the fluff in the middle, and take that with you! It's that simple.