Is there a way to Access my iPhone's files without having a jailbroken phone?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Visionary, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Visionary

Visionary Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Hey All,

I'm working on the development of an iPhone game, and my programmer is in another county then me.

We have created a level editor within the game in which you can save the level to the iPhone's memory.

Now the question is, is there a way I can access this saved file on my PC so that I can copy it and send it to my programmer?

-Visionary

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    As far as I know, not without being jailbroken.

3. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    No, you will have to jailbreak.
    Jail breaking is pretty easy though. I found it easy and I am only a 16 year old student with very little computer knowledge.
    Redsn0w is the best for jailbreaking.

Redsn0w step by step guide: http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2009/06/20/tutorial-iphone-30-jailbreak-redsn0w/

And to access your files, I would recommend 'iPhone Browser'.
    It is free program that only takes up a couple minutes to set up and there is no hassle of SSH. You can then access your files and move them about/copy them to your computer.

'iPhone Browser': http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/downloads/list

4. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I think there is a way if you have already paid Apple. In Xcode, go to Organiser, then click on you device. If you expand that grey arrow next to the app you want there should be a package called 'Application Data'. Play around with right clicking, double clicking it etc.
    Hope that works.

5. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Correct. I grab created data all the time off my phone using this method.

6. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    all apps which you uploaded using the oraganiser are marked in dark letters and with these options. You can also delete them quickyl and save the datea before toget afresh test start and then move the data back etc.

7. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    As others have mentioned, Xcode will let you grab your app data, but it sounds like you might be getting adhoc builds and syncing with a Windows PC. If this is the case you might want to get your programmer to make it so the level data can be uploaded to a central web server, or sent to an email address. Or build a server of some sort into the app itself and connect the PC via wifi (using CocoaHTTPServer for example). If you want to eventually allow end-users to create and share levels you'll need to do something like this anyway.

8. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Like has been mentioned you can use the XCode Organizer to grab the data. I actually used the map maker included in my game to make the campaign mission maps. I did make a Windows version also to speed up the process but I was able to get the data off of the phone.

9. Visionary

Visionary Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Hey all,

Thanks for the help.

Using Xcode's Organizer works perfectly!

-Visionary