Universal Talisman (by Nomad Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 30, 2014.

1. zeratulo

zeratulo Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Has there been any word if this will eventually come to mobile?

2. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Mobile? :confused:

iPad is a mobile system ... :)

I think, games like that would make no fun on such a small iPhone screen ...

3. zeratulo

zeratulo Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2014
    So you didn't like prologue?

4. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    That is what the developer said earlier in the thread when asked about it coming to iPhone. So it is only a matter of time, we just don't know when.

5. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Have to add my voice of support for the game, it really is well done and fun to see in this format. But it is begging for asynchronous play and a way to keep multiple games going, that you can play live when your opponent is online, but you can trade turns on and off when you're not. Carcassonne and to a lesser extent Lords of Waterdeep are ideal examples of this (Carcassonne, as it has been mentioned is far and away the absolute best multiplayer implementation on the app-store). Is it the best way to play the game? No, but asynchronous play would net you certainly a few more sales among my friends.

6. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    Has anyone who checks this thread been able to get the "zoom automatically" feature to work? Sorry for the repost, I'll take any answer, yes/no/don't care, but short of e-mailing the devs, I get crickets every time I ask lol.

7. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #67 ojtitus, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    Let me take a look and I'll reply with an answer in a hour or two.

Edit: The auto zoom seems to work during combat, I haven't seen it used any other time yet.

8. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Not really. Mobile = phone. The iPad is a TABLET, which is not technically a "mobile" device.

9. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    In the U.S. it's far less common to hear "mobile" used as short for "mobile phone" than elsewhere in the world. That's where the confusion in your statement comes from. In the U.S. "mobile devices" often will include tablets, phablets, and the like... Basically anything that fits in a purse could be considered mobile in the U.S., and does not refer specifically to phones.

10. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    Ok, cool, very much obliged. It's the same for me, but I wanna say that a long while back when I played the PC version,nit would zoom in on the models when they moved. If you do it manually on the ipad eventually it zooms out again, meaning you have to push the zoom button constantly.

I really like the models and art, and they're much nicer up close. I have to go back and check the PC version again, to make sure I'm not making things up lol, but if that's not the case, I wonder if they'll implement the same mechanics. Auto zoom during combat alone makes no sense to me, from an aesthetic POV. Thanks again for the answer.

11. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    #71 FRS, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    Well, after playing several games with friends online I can say that the way online multiplayer is implemented is just horrifically cumbersome. These types of games that rely on Game Center for matchmaking and move communication shouldn't even be bothered with if you really want to play a game like this with others.

It's too bad because it has so much potential, but without being able to pause and return later to a game, or at least rejoin a game you often deal with disconnects and lost games because people drop off and can't reconnect. This is a serious problem, especially a board game that lasts as long as a typical Talisman playthrough...

Any developers paying attention... if you've gone to the trouble of implementing your in-game chat server then just go all the way and implement non-Game Center match making and game serving.. It's just lazy to use Game Center for long-drawn out games because the match-making is at its best gankity and its worst completely bugged and un-workable.

That said the single-player experience is quite good, I just can't recommend it for online multiplayer at all.

12. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    #72 Topherunhinged, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    This deserves a lot more notice that it has gotten.

13. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #73 ojtitus, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    An update with the Frostmarch expansion is now available. Plus the Gambler character is available via IAP.

Edit: And it looks like The Dungeon is going to be the next expansion, that makes me very happy. :D

14. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Zomg. This needs to be universal ASAP :(

15. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    #75 CalinR, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    Frostmarch update is amazing. I love the new endings, and how you can choose which one you get. The game's becomeing insanely replayable. 290 some adventure cards? You have to me kidding me. Money amazingly well spent, keep rolling out them updates Nomad Games, and I'll keep paying for them lol.

Edit: I just realized you can not in fact choose the ending, that's kind of a bummer lol

16. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    Anyone else get a memory allocation error? The app will no longer open for me.

17. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I have not had this problem. Did you try rebooting your device after downloading the update?

18. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    Neither have I. Try doing a memory cache dump. Make like you're gonna turn off your device, but instead of sliding the power "button", hold down the home button. It should just return to normal instead of turning off, but it'll in fact clear the RAM cache, if the above solution doesn't work.

19. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    #79 Topherunhinged, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    Didn't work, neither did a full reboot. It's got to be an app error.

*Solved. An app reinstall fixed the issue, I'm a bit dissapointed that I lost my rune progress though.

20. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    Glad to hear it finally worked, sorry about the rune progress.