Aralon Suggestions thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JoshCM, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Any word on why the menus and loading screens are appearing iPhone sized?

It's interesting cause it's displaying the iPhone version of the loading screen, not just a scaled iPad version.

2. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Yes its not a bug, thats just the way it is.
    We will work on the iPad version more in the next few weeks - its a ton of work to move all of those things around. It is playable though for now.
    We need to figure out how we can 'maximize' all of those menus - maybe put more than one up at the same time, since we have all of that real estate.

3. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Very playable.

A suggestion for the menus, maybe do quarter or half screen menus. A bar at the top has choices, and you click or drag which side it should open on, so you can see skills and stats at the same time, or any combination you wanted.

I'm not a developer or artist or anything, so i don't know if it applies to your game, but if you've heard of fullforce for jail broken devices, it maximizes iPhone resources for you, depending on how they're made. I'm pretty sure gameloft uses similar tech for their hd versions, so maybe you can look into how that works.

4. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    My main request was going to be in reference to the menus on iPad. I have a suggestion that might make it better:

Instead of worrying about upscaling the menu, simply stop it from going to a black screen with the menu in the middle, it'd look much nicer if the menu popped up on screen above the action. In some ways a partial menu would be less jarring than switching from action to a fullscreen menu. And maybe the placement of the pop up menu could be customised, or at least defaulted to near the right so it's closer to where the players' hand is.

I'd recommend you upscale the loading screen though, and as someone else requested, please add in custom volume controls for bgm and sfx.

Finally, please make the options accessible without quitting out of the game.

5. ipodrocks123

ipodrocks123 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Add were I can own a home... That would be awesome.

6. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    #26 YouSuckDude, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
    Make it so you don't have to Retarget when turned around. Also sunberries don't disappear when you pick them...dead monsters should disappear after a certain amount of time. Oh and it's NOT tap to attack like you said Josh. It's tap to target. I still have to press the attack button repeatedly. You could do swipe controls where you use your left thumb to hold the screen in place and your right thumb to swipe in the direction you wish to attack or just tap on the monster to normal attack. That would be very playable and would fix the camera issue you brought up earlier :)

Support rotation of the screen.

When dual wielding and secondary weapon is on hip, character still reaches for it on his back.

Customizable button placement

When you double tap to move in 3rd person view and the character is in motion, if you turn the camera he stops moving :(
    Ability to look all the way up in 3rd person view

Different color font if item in inventory has better stats than currently equipped item of the same slot.

Auto equip?

7. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Fantastic game, but it bugs me that after I completely loot something the looting window doesn't close. Also, I would love the option to choose to strafe or turn when dragging the pad to the left or right. Or heck, just make it an option to move forward/back with the pad, and turning is done with swiping.

8. WilliamG

WilliamG Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Agreed with the looting suggestion. I just can't shake the nagging feeling that this game is just unfinished! The tiny iPhone windows that pop up etc. Also, why can't I clear a quick slot? I by mistake added a second quick slot to my knife, and now I have two of them and can't clear one!

9. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    A way over Bluetooth or wi-fi to transfer save files between the iPhone and the iPad, preferably automatically. This would really encourage me to spend my time mixed between both devices. It's relatively simple to set up locally over Bluetooth.

10. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    My only suggestion for now would be to try not to let all of the suggestions overwhelm you. Work on the bugs first, and then organize the feature suggestions by priority.

11. va2k0r

va2k0r Active Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Analog movement. And why attack range for arrows and spell is soooooooo short? :-(

12. tbaldree

tbaldree Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Game Developer
    Seattle
    I'm enjoying this a lot, and navigation with the default control scheme feels pretty good. A couple of quick suggestions -

It would be helpful if tapping the target name+globe in the top right of the screen functioned as a target cycle so that I can select an enemy or NPC from a crowd without wiggling, and for selecting lootables ( and especially for DE-selecting my minion/summon) Orienting the character toward the new target might be helpful as well when cycling.

I find waiting for the bow/wave animations for NPC conversations to be a little frustrating - tapping to get directly to the conversation would be nice.

When moving from interior space to interior space ( especially small ones ) it is a little grating that the music track stops and then starts again. If possible, it would preserve the 'flow' of those interior spaces better if, when the music track is not going to change, it didn't stop and restart.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, auto-close on loot all would be great.

A green/red up/down arrow or something similar in the tooltip for any non-equipped items to quickly compare their dps or armor rating to equipped items would be helpful ( tapping back and forth can be tedious and I have a terrible memory )

A music adjustment slider would be great. There is also a high degree of variance in the levels of different music tracks - some seem much louder than others.

In conversations, darkening the text for any conversation options already performed would be handy.

Changing the opacity of skills in the link bar if they are out of range of a target would be very nice. As it is I try, move forward, try, move forward.

Nice work guys! Really impressive.

13. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I don't get how you let the menu and load screen be iPhone size on purpose?
    It's very hard to see what's what in the inventory and character screens, it gives the impression that the game is unfinished.
    I hope that it will be given a priority, as I would categorise it as a bug. It needs to be at least double size if not full screen.

A couple of suggestions:

It would be great if the camera would snap back to behind character after swipe to look around you.

Targeting system needs to be fixed, its been plenty mentioned elsewhere, so I guess you must be aware of that.

Options should be accessible without quitting the game.

Controls on the iPad is way too small, and your finger all to often slips of the movement button and swipes to look around instead, also the attack button os too small.
    Skill bar on the bottom of the screen could be a tad bigger, but that's mostly cosmetic.

I know there's a lot of work involved in this game, and there's apt to be a few bugs, so just want to say in conclusion that the games fundamentals are great, and none of these things are game breaking, but if I had to say one thing that should be a priority it would be the tiny menu thing on the iPad.

14. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    I'm really enjoying this so far. Western RPGs are one of the last game genres that aren't really represented well in the app store, and this is a fairly good one too...

My biggest pain point: The small menu and inventory on iPad. I agree that not blacking out the background would have made it seem more natural. With the black background it just screams "iPhone menu" ;-) Making it movable would help too, that way I could move it to a corner where it's easier to reach. The inventory is the biggest issue for me since we have three *tiny* tabs of inventory slots when the screen could easily accomodate the full set of slots. Another smaller issue is that there is enough room on an iPad to show the stats of equipped items at the same time as showing those of a carried item that would go in the same slot, but instead I have to close it (and that tiny close button is really hard to hit) and manually open the other and hope I don't misremember the stats.

Bow range seems awfully short, not that I have a problem with that per se but it makes it much more apparent that most of the mobs won't even look at me when I'm standing right next to them and aiming an arrow at their head.

Enemies respawning right behind me are slightly annoying. Would be less annoying for a melee character, I suppose.

I would really like direction buttons as alternative movement option since I tend to have trouble walking in a straight line with the joystick. My personal preference is looking around by moving the camera and walking forward, and that would work better with a forward button instead of a joystick. Making the joystick location configurable would help too, right now it's about 3 cm above where my thumb would naturally be.

15. pingtrip77

pingtrip77 Member

Sep 18, 2009
    #35 pingtrip77, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Non HD version? (1rst gen)

16. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I echo the sentiments of many other comments above. These would be my main points:

Redesign the (tiny) menu interface to take advantage of the iPad real estate.

Configurable joystick location on the iPad. (It is way too high up the screen at present in my opinion)

17. Kronusdark

Kronusdark Member

Dec 16, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Just played the first couple of quests, my suggestions so far.

change the camera sensitivity, i like the fixed camera rotation but it makes my character turn way to fast.

using a bow with a torch out is weird looking.

please make the achievements work with gamecenter, i like showing off my achievements.

GREAT GAME btw, im looking forward to content updates, hell i would probably pay for them. but free is nice too :D

18. Slyy

Slyy Active Member

Jun 28, 2010
    I not test the game yet because I will have my iPod 4G at Christmast, but in the french store, the game seem crash when we choose the race.
    And If you can translate in french, it would be wonderful :p

19. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    There should be a system in place that asks you if you want to save when you are saving over a slot with a different character name. So if you attempt to save over a slot that is using the same character, it just saves. But if you attempt to save over a slot that is using a different character, it says, "Are you sure you want to save?" — This would prevent unfortunate accidental saving over other character slots, which has already happened to me.

20. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    there is a lot to go through! will get the bugfixes out first though.