Universal Blazing Star - (by SNK Playmore)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Yeah, please add this, if you have to, add another harder difficulty setting somehow too if the game is too easy...

2. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #42 Uprising Elton, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    Anyone able to confirm the framerate / smoothness on an iPhone 4?

R-Type was converted by the same company and that doesn't quite run as smoothly as I was expecting.. and it's a much simpler game.

Used to play this a lot on a PC neo geo emulator and loved it!

EDIT: I'll download anyway.. can't resist! :) It's only 2 quid! :) :) :)

EDIT2:: Ignore the question! STUNNING work! Congrats to DotEmu, that's a brilliant conversion.

3. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Basically what I need at this point is two things:

1) 1:1 touch-motion ratio and

2) an autofire option: make the "super" weapon work by holding it (charging) and releasing it (fire)

Otherwise the game is great as ever, but I can't see myself 1cc-ing it with the current controls, even on easy.
    Please devs, consider the options above.

4. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

#44 Planetshooter, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    Don't delete it!

To place the buttons in the lower left corner in "touch" mode, you have to do this:

Go into control config
    Change to pad mode (trust me)
    Move the pad over to the right side of the screen
    Move the buttons over to the left corner
    Swap back to touch mode

The game assumes the pad is taking up that position, even in touch mode, when you are configuring controls.

I hope this improves your enjoyment of the game!

Personally, I want LAST RESORT more than any other Neo Geo game on my iPad - fingers crossed, I suppose.

[edit] - Also, if anyone wants a 1:1 movement ratio, pick one of the ships with speed maxed out (3 bars). I know that's not the perfect solution, but there's a reason the more powerful ships move slower ... they're more powerful.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Another vote for Last Resort !!!

But would love an official version of Ikari Warriors or Galaxy Fight (Two other SNK games)

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    DotEmu, looks like the same "video settings not saved when the app is killed from the multitask bar" bug from Metal Slug is here too.

Thanks for the private message dude. :) Gave it a try and ultimately because there isn't autofire, my left hand just gets way too tired mashing on the buttons. I just sat there for a while and played over and over with the default scheme and it's alright... I'll get used to it. I'm CERTAINLY not deleting this. ;)

7. Cleankutazn

Cleankutazn New Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Ikari warriors one of my favorite games...spent so much money on it, I could finish it with one quarter.

8. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Autofire should be very easy for them to add. I hope they do, it's not nice that you're going through physical pain to play it as it is!

Good week this week, though - this game, 'Orc: Vengeance' and 'Manos' - three very different and fun games.

9. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Hey there - iCade works on both. Just as the game starts proper while icade is all lined up and in cabinet etc hit the home button then open metal slug or blazing star and it works a treat.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks i'll try that again, couldnt get it working previously with Metal Slug

11. geremy

geremy Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I kind of like the control scheme. No complaints here. I love CAVE shmups but the iOS versions are way easier because of ship speed. This makes the different speed of the ships more apparent.

12. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yeah, I'm still LOVING the game... and am not have any issues with the controls. I love how much control I've got over the ship's shots... special shots, and extra shots... and that each of the ships have different speeds depending on their power. It all fits very nicely together, IMO, and I'm actually pretty surprised to see so many people not comfortable with the ship movement speeds... =o/

Oh well... Really hope the 1:1 relative touch is kept as an option, and that they do something to make sure that the ship's shot power is changed because of it... because I really think that's a big game mechanic - more powerful = slower ship... less powerful = quicker ship... it has a big effect on the gameplay.

13. billyb

billyb New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    another vote for Last Resort; and Viewpoint

Last Resort was the bomb. the crazy weapon that you had to fly around to control, and charge up, wicked. And the dark dystopian city mood was sweet.

Anyone remember/ever try Viewpoint? it was like Zaxxon for the 90s.

14. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I really like DotEmu and will continue to support them as I think both R-Type and Metal Slug 3 are extremely good ports. That said, I feel like they missed the mark here in terms of controls.

Prior to buying this game, I played it on my ipad and iphone in iMame4all. It was one of those Neo Geo games I somehow never really explored so I was delighted it was so fun on Mame. Insta-buy on app store. But after spending some time with the DotEmu version, I have to say the pad controls are definitely not as good -- or responsive as the iMame4all version. It seems the virtual stick has a bigger deadzone than the mame version (which you can adjust), creating frustration here in later stages as the screen fills up with bullets.

I will also echo complaints here on the touch controls and lack of 1:1. I get that ship speed is a part of the game design, but it just doesn't work here as implemented. It takes too much swiping to move your ship around if you're not using one of the fastest ships. Either make the swiping more sensitive so each swipe registers MORE, or do what some have suggested and get rid of ship speed and tweak the game difficulty in other ways to compensate.

For now, I will stick with the imame4all version as the DotEmu controls are just too frustrating for me.

Those on the fence, I would wait until this game is patched.

15. billyb

billyb New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Game Impressions

I find the controls (with the 'touch' setting) perfect on a 4g ipod. Part of the challenge of this game when played with a joystick was knowing the speed of the ship, and then having to decide how to dodge, fight based on how quickly you could move. Any attempt to mold this game to made-for-iOS shmups with controls that instantly move you would break that game balance. At least make the current controls the default, with other options.

Now they need to port Pulstar; Blazing Star is the sequel to that game (it had only one ship, the "dino" in Blazing Star). I think Pulstar's levels had better art and design.

16. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    I just gave this a quick 2-minute test. The controls are just how they ought to be - don't change them. The touch control is 1:1 movement; the ship just isn't allowed to move faster than it's capable. If you drag quickly across the screen, and leave your finger in place, the ship will work its way over to where you've guided it.

I love Dariusburst, but it always felt like the instantaneous 1:1 movement cheapened the challenge. (Ditto for the auto-fire.)

17. trjp

trjp New Member

Jul 26, 2012
    I picked this up last night and my first impressions, on an iPad2, are that the iPad controls really need work.

The 'Touch' option is useless on an iPad unless you want your hand in the way of the game all the time.

The 'joystick' controls are far too big/unsensitive - a problem with the upscaling of the game I guess?? You have to move your thumb MILES before the ship moves, making bullet-dodging far, far harder than it need be. I think you could safely say difficulties above hard would be impossible.

We really need the ability to adjust the sensitivity of the 'joystick' on iPad ASAP - as it stands, the game borders on unplayable. See games like Ballistic+ where there are loads of options to customize the controls as-close to perfection as you're going to get for onscreen 'sticks'.

18. Decided to pick this up even with all the poor reviews on the controls.

And guess what? I agree, the controls are whacked!!!

Will have to play around with the control settings to see if anything is useable, but so far, what could be a great game is muddied by poor controls. Hopefully the dev will add 1:1 instantaneous controls, cause even if it would make the game easier, I think it would be a lot funner.

But the game brings back memories to me, so guess it was worth the cost. But I too would have to be like the others and recommend buying this after the controls are fixed.

19. geremy

geremy Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    If 1:1 controls do become an option, please give those weak players a separate leaderboard. The use of 1:1 in this game would be akin to cheating.

20. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    #60 Issac, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
    Great game

4/5 easily. The game is great, the graphics are wonderful, the ship selection and their impact on gameplay - all signs point to a win!

I can see why everyone is mentioning the control, but I really haven't felt that it has hindered my success in game. The only issue I have is inherent to the platform - my thumb takes up too much of the lower left corner of the screen. Okay... maybe the deadzone of the virtual stick could be smaller. But still... I have been doing fine as far as making progress in the game.

Either way, I recommend this to anyone interested! :)

Edit: I just wrote a glowing review on iTunes, with a 5 star rating. And KUDOS to DotEmu to responding to it's fans!