App Store Pricing Argument YAY!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Gwarmaxx, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    and they raise the price at 10 bucks!?!? this guys are out of mind!!!

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The feature identical PC version sells for $18.99, so... ?

3. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    So a shitty port that runs at 5fps with game-breaking bugs that forces you to restart the entire world is worth $10.99? :rolleyes:

4. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    If you're facing game-breaking bugs and poor performance maybe get in touch with the devs? The information is readily available. And I haven't faced any problems with the game. It's been a stellar port from my experience and easily deserves the $9.99.

5. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Marketing
    Berlin Germany
    From Week to Week a Price Increase!? From 4€ to 10€. Really Bad Price Politic :(

6. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Lack of critical thinking is a big problem in this world.

1. NOT week to week at all, as anyone who does more than glance at things to whine *could* know for certain without any difficulty at all.

Oh look, I found out the exact time frame. Introductory sale lasted 1 week from it's launch. The secondary introductory sale - which was ALWAYS billed as a sale mind you - lasted a month.

Everyone knew the price was going to go up, well, except you (and the handful of others who have deigned to grace us with their immense wisdom at how overpriced this *bargain* is) ;)

2. The game is being simultaneously developed cross platform for PC & mobile with no lost features. It's an $18.99 title on Steam, it's a $9.99 title on mobile, yet the same game. You can't even pretend they're just porting things since they're running multiple platform development concurrently - they are increasing development and testing cost and time by making it possible to play on mobile with the same feature set as PC and charging us roughly half as much as they think the game is worth because, unfortunately, posts like yours confirm that mobile gamers are an entitled bunch of ******* ******* when it comes to paying for their entertainment.

Anyone complaining at this *announced* price increase never had any intention of supporting the developers adequately to begin with. Game has been out for more than month and already had its first feature expanding update. It has a very positive rating on Steam with more than 2K reviews, yet has only 74 total ratings on the App store. This is why we can't have nice things.

Let's just hope this game doesn't suffer the same fate as Meltdown - abandoned and left knowingly broken for iOS but still going strong on PC & Android (let that last one sink in, Android has a much higher percentage of piracy than iOS, yet the developers were still able to make more money on that platform over iOS because we suck).

7. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I've had no problems.

8. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    No issues here either, game run flawless on my mini retina

9. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #9 Gwarmaxx, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    so...? we have excelent indie devs that make gems like Hero Emblems without almost any issue and share with us at only $2.99... so...?

i don't care about PC prices, it's a world that doesn't exist for me in this forum, we're talking about iOS games, so i compare them only with other gems for our devices... or maybe are this devs your brothers? ;)

10. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    LOL

While I don't know for certain, I'd wager the development time for HE next to this game comes in at less than 1% of the man hours for Craft the World (game has been in active development for several months and in semi-public beta since early September) yet those HE bastards have the nerve to charge 30% as much as CTW (that's sarcasm for the impaired ;))

If a simplistic game that, other than art and localization, can be churned out over the weekend by a couple of skilled programmers is your gold standard, again, this is why we can't have nice things.

Stating you don't care about the PC market doesn't make it go away, and it certainly doesn't do anything to address the number of developers who try their hand at iOS, realize we suck, and go back to PC development where the larger user doesn't freak out at being asked to pay a ten or twenty spot for a good game.

11. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #11 Gwarmaxx, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    i've put HE as a fresh example of a well done game that has 650+ enthusiastic replies in its thread in only one week (doesn't mean nothing to you? ask yourself why or go to read them...), but i could name a long list of GREAT (and better than HE) games that costs a quarter (or less) of CTW...

so, let me understand, with your criteria then Sword of Fargoal would be a simplistic game that can not be compared to a 10 bucks one with months of developing??? if they are slow in developing, don't see why i have to pay them $10, and for a game that anyway is always a clone (with some fresh new ideas) of greater ones!

come on, i'm an iOS owner from 2008, i'm not a newbie pal, so don't talk nonsense with me, please.

12. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    #12 sapphire_neo, Jan 16, 2015
    That's bottom of the barrel pricing thinking and it's not going to end up well, it already hasn't. If you want devs to keep making good premium games you have to pay them the worth of the content. The cost of developing games on mobile has not plummeted, just people's worth of games have and that has lead to the freemium horde. Hero Emblems is priced at that range because they believe they can capture a mass market and break even on those terms, but I can guarantee you that the true worth of that game is easily upwards of $10. If that game goes to steam it will be $9.99 if not more. Also, do you think Ascension is overpriced? Each new expansion costs about $3-5 and the total cost now is upwards of $20 if you've been buying without a discount. Similarly FTL, Shadowrun, XCOM. What about those gems?

And C.Hannum, while you might not agree, the scale and quality of HE is far above the average simple game. It's priced at $2.99 but that is much below its worth. Don't make it sound like HE is a morsel compared to CtW. They might not be entirely on par but HE stands tall on its own.

13. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #13 Gwarmaxx, Jan 16, 2015
    i agree with you "onlyphoenix" (great games on Ascension pal!!!) but partially, 'cause you're naming games from majors or with known brands, at least XCOM, Shadowrun and Ascension, we must pay for them and it's comprehensible... FTL is an only iPad game, are always more expensive, if there'll be an iPhone version will cost sure 5 or 6 bucks at the most.

however, Ascension is an OUTCAST, $20 (maybe 30?) well spent ;)

14. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    So you're paying for brand value. Isn't that the wrong thing to do? Shouldn't you be paying for the actual content and merit of the content? If something that is the scale, ambition and accomplishment of those games comes from an indie dev should they have to sell their hard for work for pennies just because that's what the App Store pricing has become? How are we going to see more refreshing stuff from indie devs if we keep treating them like second rate citizens who deserve less just by virtue of not being established.

As for iPhone pricing, the game being on a smaller form factor doesn't change the amount of content. It would in fact increase the amount of work to cram all the UI into a significantly smaller screen. Thinking that an iPhone or universal should cost less is archaic, pay for the content.

15. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #15 Gwarmaxx, Jan 16, 2015
    didn't tell i prefer brands, i'm telling that unfortunately it's comprehensible, that's the way establishment works, we all know and accept... in fact i don't own nor FTL, Shadowrun nor XCOM (but i'm still loving and playing Aliens vs Humans, and loved the original XCOM on PC), but an indie clone game at 9.99 looks overpriced to me!
    i like to support reasonable devs and not greedy ones.

btw, what is the price of the just released Frozen Synapse iPhone version?
    and the iPad one???
    be informed before tell me that price differences between iPhone and iPad are archaic.

edit> yes, i've bought FS port for iPhone, great strategic game at a reasonable price from indie devs...

16. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Why is an indie game overpriced at $9.99 if it has the content to match the price? Or are you saying that all games should be $4.99 or less? Don't equate greed with pricing your app at a certain line that fits what expense you put into the development. Greed is the freemium bs we see in so many games, stringing along whales and kids alike.

As for Frozen Synapse, they are trying to bend to the App Store pricing trend, one that has been perpetuated for no reason at all. And it's their fault partially for splitting their property in two. They can't sell it at the same price even though they have the same content because they'll get called out for selling twice to customers who want to own both for their iPad and iPhone. Most games these days are universal, since that allows you pay for the content and not the form factor. The days of HD and Pocket are being dragged along by a few publishers and devs.

This discussion is veering way off course into pricing territory and not on-topic at all. I'll say we agree to disagree.