Wireless download limit

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by lithiastudios, Feb 10, 2009.

1. lithiastudios

lithiastudios Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    I was just curious as to anyone's experience making games over 10MB (I believe that's the limit before you are required to download over WIFI/sync from your PC?)

I'd imagine that there would be a decent drop off in sales from requiring someone to sync from their PC or download over Wifi. I guess it boils down to the # of people buying apps straight from their phones. I know from personal experience when I'm on the go, I've run into larger apps that I can't download on my phone and then forget to download them via wifi when I get home.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Enough >10MB games have been in the top 10 (like iShoot, for example) that I don't really see it as an issue. I get the impression that more gaming is done on iPod touches rather than iPhones anyway--there was a poll here that confirmed this, for whatever that's worth--so it's a moot point to some extent.

--Eric

3. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    im normally near wi=fi anyway when i try to download a game

4. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I know someone who accidentally went over the 10MB limit recently, and their sales dropped right away. When they found out about the limit, they lowered their app size, and sales went right back up again.

5. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.
    Does anyone know the reason for the limit in the first place now we can download music without wifi are apps next in line any insight on this because for me 3g is faster than my home wifi (178kbs and I pay full price I hate quest) and would love to download a game in one night and not have to re-enter my pasword all night

6. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #6 rIcHrAnDoM, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
    It is a factor for me, but not whether I buy or not, only if I have to drive to McDonalds or not.:rolleyes:

I believe Little White Bear because America (I won't speak for any of the other countries present) is a people of instant gratifiction, and if "we" can't have what we want right now, we'll take the next best thing.

I don't see why the 10mb limit can't be lifted, other than Apple doesn't want the headache of people complaining their game didn't d/l.

7. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    As far as I know, users get a warning after trying... just I don't think it says anything like "go find some wifi". ;)

8. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I believe in the U.S. it is a request by AT&T, so their network doesn't get bogged down by extreme levels of data transfers all the time.