What's the iPhone's Mario?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Mag, Feb 8, 2010.

?

What's the iPhone's Mario?

1. Rolando

29 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. Hook Champ

29 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. Soosiz

33 vote(s)
    36.3%
  1. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Just out of curiosity what the most people on TouchArcade think on the matter.

2. ahmed409

ahmed409 Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Rolando was the first iphone plat-former, and the first to get a sequil.
    plus rolando is way better then sooziz and hook champ,both the original and the sequel.
    dont get me wrong hook champ is a great game, one of my favorites too, but thats not the argument here, its which one of these games is the most ''classical'' iphone platformer, and i think rolando deserves that position.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    The clone for classic Mario on the iPhone is: Ricky ;)

4. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I would say Canabalt is the iPhones Sonic The Hedgehog :D

5. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Except that it's a port of a free flash game.:rolleyes:

6. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I would say we wait for tomorrow and they check out Giana Sisters ;)

7. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    How many levels are there in soosiz? I enjoyed the lite but longevity is an important issue for me.

8. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Well, obviously, but you know what I ment :p

Ah yeah, forgot about those, bound to be a great platformer from what I could tell

9. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Well, in terms of having an iconic character: the Rolando series. In terms of gameplay that is fast-paced and addictive: Soosiz.

10. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Hook Champ is a better comparison, not least because it follows the principles of the classic Sonic games. Sonic used to be about momentum (that can lead to speed) but somehow people now mistake it for being just about speed. That was not what the Sonic games were about.

Hook Champ follows the 'momentum leading to speed' design, it also follows the multiple path design as well as the best path leading to better goodies, small shortcuts, springs, and water = bad. Indeed, it follows the designs so well that it 'outdoes' Sonic (games we have now) at being Sonic.

11. aros2k

aros2k Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2010
    77 I think? Awesome game

12. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Of which some are quite hard. Also theres a level which you unlock upon rescuing ALL those dudes. And that level is even tougher :p

13. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    There's a game by Triniti called Robo Rush which is an exact clone of Mario but different graphics, every single little secret etc. is right there.

14. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Looks pretty awesome from the screenshots, wonder why theres no hype surrounding it (good graphics + mario gameplay = win! does it have bad controls or something?)

15. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    The controls aren't anything to get excited over, the most you can say about them is they work.

16. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    65 ? + a few bonus levels?

17. newbatthis

newbatthis Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Lol, no one mentioned Bounce On....

Best 2D platformer imo. Bearing quite a few resemblances to Mario. The only quirk is you move the character by tilting. Which gets really cool when they add the magnetic powerup (there are over 5 powerups) and you start defying gravity. There are 5 worlds each with its unique atmosphere and soundtrack. Really underappreciated game i say.

18. Randimonium

Randimonium Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Game Designer
    Towson, MD
    It's either too soon, or I'd say it doesn't have a Mario. If there is a game that people buy iPhones just to play, then I'll vote for that!

19. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I'd go with Rolando. I love Soosiz but, in all honesty, it'd be as good or better on a platform with real buttons. There's nothing in it that makes it an iPhone game (though, again, it's one of my absolute favorites on the platform). Rolando is an iPhone game through and through. I prefer Soosiz overall, but I go with Rolanda here for having a more iconic character and for being a game perfectly suited to its platform.

20. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Soosiz is pretty much Super Mario Galaxy without the 3d and Italian people.