Non-action based asian stile rpgs?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Yikes, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Yikes

Yikes Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Seems that there are quite a few rpgs out there that follow the old snes stile rpg format, such as Inotia, Zenoia, Seed, etc.

However, combat in these is very action oriented. IE: like zelda. Enemies are on the same screen as you travel around, and you push a button to swing your weapon and have to line up your character next to the enemy to hit them.

The problem I have with this is two things.

1. These games are on a mobile device, which means small screen. There are no built in controls on the iphone, so pretty much you have to have your thumb and fingers on the screen to control your characters, which blocks the already limited screen space to actually SEE the game. I dont want my view blocked by my fingers or virtual controls in a real time game. Turn based is fine, in that im not pressured to react instantly to things on the screen so the view space isnt as crucial.

2. While touch controls have gotten much better over the months, the simple fact that the screen is small vs my non-kid sized fingers makes it very difficult for me to comfortably perform dexterous control actions in a game. This makes for very clumsy gameplay for me. I usually avoid the more action oriented games that have a lot of emphasis on being able to control your characters (like the FPS stile attempts on the iphone). One would think that an rpg would be much less demanding in this area.

I think of games like many of the final fantasy series (ie: FF1-3), where controls were really only used to move around. Combat was a separate screen where you only using controls to select menu options that controlled who you attacked and with what ability. Are there no games like this on the iphone? Just seems like a mobile phone is much more suited for games that require less demand on being able to control your character, which baffles me as to why I cant seem to find any games that are more like what I described above with Final Fantasy.

Any suggestions on games that are like im describing?

2. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Jaybots Arvale Series uses a combat system like you described. He just released Arvale: Treasure of Memories for the PC (there is a demo available). The first two boss battles are pretty good and challenging at Level 3 (werewolf) and Level 5 (goro).

http://jaybot7.com/blog/

He also has two other Arvale games on iPhone- Journey of Illusion and Ocean of Time. He claims that JOI is the better of the two.

3. sdragon

sdragon Active Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Vay, which is an actual FF-style RPG port from Japan.

4. Dylan1696

Dylan1696 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Photographer/Graphic Designer/Electronics engineer
    Debbie did it here in '78
    My wife is Asian, so I feel like I'm in an asian style RPG daily :) Oh, wait....I am!

Just kidding! I play all the actual Final Fantasy's on my i device, so until something really good comes along, I am gonna stick with these. :)

5. Yikes

Yikes Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Thx for the recommendations.

I wish the FF games were on the iphone. Instant buy for me if they were.

6. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    You could also try Yipe 5 and RPG Quest Minmae