Darkest Fear for iPhone summer 2009

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RovioMobile, Jun 23, 2009.

1. RovioMobile

RovioMobile Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
    #1 RovioMobile, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
    It's confirmed we started development of an iPhone version of Darkest fear and we should have it released by mid-august.

We are going to revisit Darkest Fear one from our java series but with greatly enhanced graphics for the iPhone and new controls.

Any thoughts on what you the public would like in the game will be noted, please get in touch with your thoughts.....

What your Darkest Fear?

2. Marcomarco

Marcomarco Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Amazing News, can't wait for the release :)

3. RovioMobile

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
    I'm glad your excited so are we :D

We really want to bring a true horror game to iPhone :eek:

4. Frant

Frant Well-Known Member

Have played in DF on my old Nokia - can't wait for the iPhone version ^)

5. Karuko

Karuko Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #5 Karuko, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
    So DF is going 2D or 3D?

I said this in the other thread before:
    My darkest fear?
    Having better eerie sounds and music will help give the game's atmosphere now. Also the screen could come up with interference so you can't see the action for a while, and show something pop up later...

6. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    awesome amazing News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Great news! Please, pay particular attention to comfortable controls and test this on at least one non-gamer. Some very promising titles have stumbled by making the controls non-intuitive and the difficulty too hardcore. Better nail the first and have options for the second from the start.

BTW, does DF series have a substantial story component?

8. RovioMobile

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
    The game is going to be nice 2d graphics, we looked at free roaming but decided to stick with moving by squares because the puzzles wouldn't be as good in free roaming.

The game is going to have all new sound components to create a creeper atmosphere.

The easter eggs "might" not be in the game at release, but we could put them out as a later update.

We're trying out a few different ways to control the characters and we'll definitely get some non gamers to test out the feel. Also the game does have a substantial story component :)

Thanks for all the feedback keep it coming we really appreciate it

9. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    What exactly is Darkest Fear? I've never heard of it, but from what you guys are saying, seems like a horror game.

10. RovioMobile

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
    About Darkest Fear:

The mystery begins with an eerie phone call from the wife of Dr. Thomas Warden. She is working in an old hospital mansion and begs him to come and save their child. Darkest Fear defines an entirely new category of mobile games, inviting the player deep into a haunting story of hidden mystery and bitter despair. As Thomas moves deeper into the mansion, he needs to solve several puzzles and rescue patients from the bloodthirsty creatures lurking in the dark. Only light, reflected realistically from walls and mirrors, can save him and his family from a grisly end in the dark.

Attached Files:

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Ok, someone has to rewrite that sentence. It just ruins the entire mood. It's like saying, "Mario must save the Mushroom kingdom from the menacing, fire-breathing koopa king, Bowser, using state of the art 8-bit pixel power-up 'shrooms."

12. RovioMobile

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
    Point taken :p

13. Karuko

Karuko Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Great!

You should look into StormBasic's Ankagua 3D, it's an isometric Sokoban game that has some interesting controls. The slide ones are used to move by squares, and they also implemented a free roaming one, which is the one I use to play the game, it's very nice.
    By having free-roam it would make walking around light more rewarding since you could walk unto the darkness by mistake.

Note taken! It was one of the extra features I liked. Looking forward to new mini-games?

14. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    It's a action puzzle. Some screenshot.

[​IMG]

More at GameSpot.

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Hopefully there will be a massive graphics and animation overhaul. And multiple control schemes.

16. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    best news i have heard all day. loved playing this on my old phone!!

17. Karuko

Karuko Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    For people new to the series, this is how it looks like in their java versions.

18. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    Amazing News, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I have to say that this looks great. Puzzles + interesting story + horror atmosphere? I am sold. Lots of people will want to see higherresolutions, though. Me? Just make good controls, please. Ideally, completely tap controls as an alternative scheme - I hate D-pads.

20. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    It would be cool if the graphics were at least on iDracula's level, hell maybe better graphics and animation as well. Forget fuzzy youtube clips: spend a dollar on the game and you'll see why I suggested it as a high water mark for you guys.