Gamespot opens new separate iPhone section.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DannyV, Oct 7, 2009.

1. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    I don't know if someone already posted on this, but thought I"d put it up to see what you guys think. Personally, I think this is good news, it brings some legitimacy to the platform. They picked up the guys from Slidetoplay.com to do reviews for them. It's so funny to see the way the "hardcore" gamers are reacting to this. Check it out!

Here's the link:
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6232068.html

2. yellowsquirrel

yellowsquirrel Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Oooh! So much venom! I love it!

3. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I just hope that slidetoplay adapts Gamespot's 1-10/10 rating system instead of continuing to use their current 1-4/4 system. The 1-10/10 provides a much more accurate reading for how good games are especially when being compared to other games IMO.

Also, SLidetoplay needs to review more games. They miss a lot of them.

Other than that its a great website.

4. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    Wow this is really grade..

But, listen to this. The users gave Rolando 2 a 2.3! (3 Votes..) *Gasp* Gamestop readers are on crack! But gamestop gave it a 9.5.. lol

5. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    and I was one of those 3 votes ;):p

I'm glad to hear that Gamespot is going to cover the iPhone now, I use the site for all me cheats,hints,etc.. for my Wii,Xbox, et... games.

6. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Interesting, they have finally got round to it.
    Here come the onslaught of douche baggy comments such as:

'The iPhone can play games???'
    'My PS3 can play better games than this piece of crap'
    'The iPhone is a mobile'
    'WTF, the app store only has apps!'
    'What's an iPhone?'

Am I alone here in thinking that these people need to be run over, then shot in the head, then run over again for good measure?

7. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Was bound to happen at the rate of our market.

8. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Gamespot accepts money from developers for positive reviews, and fires editors who give negative reviews to featured games.

Nothing they could do at this point would ever result in me using their site again.

9. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    Nope! Not at all. I have this friend who has an iPod Touch, but he refuses to spend money on the games because he thinks he's too high above it (he's a hardcore gamer). So I showed him the review for Zenonia and how even traditional gaming sites are astounded by it and he was like, "I'll get it when it's a dollar". So I'm like, "you're willing to spend 30 bucks on something for your DS and you're not willing to spend 3 dollars on a game that all the sites say are on par with the top RPG's on the DS and PSP? He didn't say anything, but I was like "whatever, hopeless...".

10. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    That's good that they're picking up coverage on the platform. But, they definitely need more. And the reading audience over there needs to wise up.

11. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Proof? :eek:

12. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    I can't prove it, but this was a big deal a couple of years ago - someone was fired right after leaving a negative review for Kain and Lynch, which was advertised all over the site. Immediately after, a lot of the review staff quit in protest, and they all claimed that there was no separation between the advertising department and the review content department, leading to huge pressures to give good reviews to featured games.

The first article I found on the subject is HERE, but there are many, many more on the internet if you want to look around.

13. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I dont buy it, there might have been 1 or 2 cases of that happening but for the most part that website leaves a lot of bad reviews when a game deserves it. And Kane and Lynch? pfff that game sucked.

14. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Yeah that game sucked. Thats why the person who reviewed it gave it a negative review. And they were fired immediately after. It then came to light that Eidos called the offices at Gamespot right after the review was posted to complain, which lead to the firing.

15. yrrebeulb19

yrrebeulb19 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    This is too bad I really liked slidetoplay. Now they will just be covered with ads and biased reviews.

And as for the eidos nonsense I'm kinda glad it happened Gerstmann's new site is way better.

16. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    Gamespot is a nasty site. Yeah, they do accept money for good reviews, most of which drool over the same points, and they hate anything not made by a huge or rather large developer. I had a lot of experience with that site, sadly if you don't agree with them, they ban/fire you. I remember a mod who got caught up in a political/console argument and tried to ban or warn anyone who didn't agree with them. Granted they are a good source of game info, but they basically advertise and crank out biased reviews.

17. Windburn

Windburn Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    This happened. It was a huge media furore at the time, and I was active then in the Gamespot review circles. Just go have a google for Jeff Gerstmann and Kane and Lynch, it's quite appalling and marked the last time I cared to read a Gamespot review.

Sadly, it is also common place. Most review sites that I know of will have an editor pressuring their review scores one way or another, despite what the reviewer may think.

It's why I like toucharcade, as they completely do away with the review score issue here.

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    lol

Albie...this is Gamespot you're talkin' about. It's just filled with the worst most thickheaded gamers you'll ever come across. Hell, I've had more open minded message board discussions on GameFAQs than Gamespot, and that's saying quite a bit.

BTW, that site became dead to me once the old EGM crew split and Gamespot became its own entity rather than EGMs internet site.

Only reason to ever go to that site is the features section, when they give nice "History of...." features, even though they get some things wrong.

19. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    And the Gertsmann (sp?) incident is notoriously infamous on game related sites and boards.

It came to the point where other sites not only directly mentioned it, but assured readers that their reviewers and reviews were on the up and up.

20. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Those reviews that you see there are not from Gamespot, but from Slide to Play. That's why the scores are so ridiculously high.