Search Function on Forums

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Mew2468, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I've been seeing a lot of new members on TA, and all of the Senior Members keep reminding them to use the search function. It gets frustrating that 5 topics about the same app keep appearing. Perhaps if there was a textbox to search right above the words "Game Discussion", underneath the textbox to search through TA articles, or somewhere else, people would search more often.

Just my two cents.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    If you're new and read some of the posts, you'll catch on quick that you need to use the search button.

Sure, it's location isn't blatantly obvious, but it's easy enough to spot.

Besides, can a new box even be made?

3. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Even better would be a button called "Search Forums". Place it directly next to and on the left-hand side of the existing button for starting a "New Thread".

4. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    That would work too. Actually, I kind of like that idea better than mine :D.

5. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Great idea.
    Maybe also an automatic search when starting new threads and it finds other threads with similar titles.

Example of new thread someone is going to start
    "Zen Bound is Out, I love it!"

And then an automatic messages comes up once you enter the title stating "we found these similar threads. Are you sure you want to start a new thread" (whatever to the wording, you get the point)
    "Zen Bound - Submitted to App Store"
    Zen Bound - Expected intro price of $4.99"
    Zen Bound - What's the big deal about tying rope"

I think you get the point I'm trying to make...at least I hope.
    This would hopefully make the poster think twice, and then just maybe (and it's a big maybe), they'll just post in one of those proper threads....
    Maybe I'm too young, naive, and too optimistic ;)

6. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Actually I think the problem is that when people think of search, they look for a textbox (typically somewhere at the top right of the screen real estate) and not for the word "search".

This is a usability problem with the site. Of course, once you know where it is, its not a problem. Of course its noticable when you already know where it is. The issue here is discoverability when you don't know how to search.

So, I think changing it into a button would not really help very much.

7. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    This involves playing around with the php files. Not too sure how easy that would be... lol

8. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Hey, I just make the suggestions. ;)
    That's up to arn to see if it's a worthwhile suggestion and then if it's worth the trouble of implementing! :)

9. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Haha. Ya. Of course. And actually, I like your idea. It'll be quite a cool and useful feature. Very Web 2.0 :p

10. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Or when the submit the new thread, a pop box apears and says "Have you searched the forums for rated threads?"

Or something like that

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    if you've already started the thread, what's the point? people would probably just glance it off anyways, kinda like how we all ignore the "the people who bought this also bought..." on amazon.com

12. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I think two bubble buttons below the existing search box on the main page allowing you to choose between searching featured articles or the forum threads. I hate having to navigate the forum interface on my iPhone. The current search drop-down feild requires two attempts to work properly