Apple Removes 'Rate on Delete' for Apps

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by The Game Reaper, Apr 11, 2010.

1. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Rejoice and be glad, developers, 'Rate on Delete' is gone.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/10/apple-removes-rate-on-delete-for-apps-in-iphone-4/

[​IMG]

Finally.

2. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Thank god! One of the most annoying features of 3.0 software

3. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Yeah I noticed this while removing an application, I was like "What, why did i see the rating thing" then I just shook it off as nothing and continued on with my day.

4. Yes! Finally good apps won't have terrible ratings from whiny kids, stupid customers, and others...

5. derekvanvliet

derekvanvliet Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Programmer
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, definitely a step in the right direction.

6. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    it is a pity they don't do a small update/patch to the minor versions of 2.x and 3.x to do the same while they are at it. one can only hope.

7. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Might be a bug :p

I've noticed (in 3.0) that the App Store categories are now showing the icon of the top paid app instead of the top free app, that's a welcome change too.

8. It's about damn time. I thought that was a ridiculous idea from day one for the very reason developers have been complaining about it. I'm annoyed that it took them this long to realize rate-on-delete was a bad idea, but at least they've finally acknowledged it.

9. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I think Apple's idea was to try to force prices up. The idea being that free and maybe 99c apps would drown under 1 star ratings while apps where users had invested more money would be less likely to be deleted and therefore more likely to be rated higher.

It didn't bring prices up and has only served to make ratings almost irrelevent, specially in the free charts where there are often apps with more one star reviews than anything else in the top ten.

10. egarayblas

egarayblas Well-Known Member

It's about time! Who would rate an app that's ready for deletion? As a customer, I'd rather rate an app I'm going to keep rather than something I'm about to delete.

11. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    There needs to be an easy way to rate apps that are on the device. There are many times I wanted to rate an app but I have soooo many that I don't have time to go into itunes to do it. We need a very quick way of doing it from the device.

Maybe after the 20th time of launching an app ask a user to rate it. If they say no then prompt again after the 40th time. Don't bother the user after that.

12. egarayblas

egarayblas Well-Known Member

13. @egarayblas

Thank you for the link, I was thinking about implementing this in upcoming projects.

And finally Devs can make free apps that would not be trashed by users...