Gameloft in perspective.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by goodboyback, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I'm really frustrated with asphalt 8. You take one wrong turn and you're race is done. You crash too many times from random lag or a RAMP GLITCH, and once again your race is gone. I hit a paywall in season 3, and eventually worked around it. I finally made it to season 5 after so much hard work and none of it seems worth it. The Freemuim model ruined asphalt 8 for me, especially with the 100 dollar cars. Unfortunately that's what mobile gaming has turned into. By the way, do you wanna pay 2.99 to remove the ads from this comment?

2. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Unfortunately freemium is here to stay,Most major games are going freemium with iap and timers.I just hope always online doesn't become a norm.

3. anteye5

anteye5 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Can you give me some examples of these games? Just for the sake of the argument here.

4. goodboyback

Mar 30, 2014
    #44 goodboyback, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Hmmm....I don't know really gt racing 2 and asphalt 8 are basically freemium now and 90% glu games,What I meant was that more and more games are going to be free in the future.Almost 75 percent income is made by freemium games compared to around 10% a year and a half ago.

Rr3 is yet another example.

5. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    #45 Jake7905, Apr 30, 2014
    While Gameloft doesn't offend the gamer on an EA scale, they do match the masters on occasion. Gameloft has always been my source for slick-looking, soulless, premium clones with astronomical file sizes. But then they drank from the freemium cup, and started releasing slick-looking, soulless, freemium clones with astronomical file sizes. So I stopped buying Gameloft games.

Some time passed, DH4 was released, gamers kept complaining, and Gameloft made a change. They started to release slick-looking, soulless, paidmium clones, that all require a constant online connection and have astronomical file sizes. So I once again stopped buying Gameloft games.

6. goodboyback

Mar 30, 2014
    #46 goodboyback, Apr 30, 2014
    Oops double post.

7. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You might want to change that view.

Real Soccer 12. 10 updates. Jan 2014 last one.
    Captain America. 2 updates and its only out a month.
    GT Racing 2. 3 updates. Last one a couple of weeks ago.
    Thor The Dark World. 2 updates. Last one in Feb 2014.
    Total Conquest. 7 updates. Last one in March 2014.
    Asphalt 8. 5 updates. Last one this month.
    Despicable Me Minion Rush. 8 updates. Last one in March 2014.
    Gangstar Vegas. 10 updates. Last one this month.
    Uno & Friends. 11 updates. Last one this month.
    Blitz Brigade. 6 updates. Last one this month.
    Iron Man 3. 7 updates. Last one in December 2013.
    Dungeon Hunter 4. 10 updates. Last one this month.
    Order and Chaos Duels. 11 updates. Last one in Feb 2014.
    Littlest Pet Shop. 13 updates. Last one this month.
    Heroes of Order and Chaos. 7 updates. Last one in Feb 2014.
    My little Pony. 8 updates. Last one in March 2014.
    World at Arms. 13 updates. Last one in March 2014.
    Urban Crime. 4 updates. Last one in Feb 2014.
    Six Guns. 18 updates. Last one this month.
    The Oregon Trail. 18 updates. Last one in March 2014.
    Order and Chaos Online. 18 updates. Last one this month.

I dunno, that seems like a lot of updates to me and doesn't even go back that far.
    21 games getting 191 updates between them seems like a lot of support for their products.
    There is a lot more from last year as well but the list is limited to anything that was updated in the last four months, excludes legacy obviously enough and is still missing a few games.

Seems somewhat prolific to me.
    Even if people on here don't have a taste for some of those games, some people obviously do if they are getting that level of support.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I knew GV was getting good post-launch support, but damn. That sure is a ton of updates.

For all the potential terrible-ness of F2P and IAPs, I think we can all agree that it's great how iOS games get so much free DLC so regularly. And Gameloft has been doing a great job with this over the past two or so years.

Seriously, ten updates. GV came out what, less than a year ago? That's around an update per month. For a paid game, no less.

9. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    You're right, that actually isn't bad at all.

I suppose the problems mostly stem from older games. Gameloft does seem perfectly willing to update the latest games in the series - the ones with in-app-purchases and premium currencies. They ignore the ones they've already collected money from customers on. Do any of the games on that list not have some form of in-app purchase?

Cynically, one could argue that this updating isn't about supporting their customers, but instead is about enabling those customers to keep giving them money.

But that's still something, and you're right, they deserve credit for that.

10. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    Gameloft does support it's newer releases, even it's to "adjust" the game balance, but you're omitting most of Gameloft's catalog, mainly the older games, which they do not support. For example; you mention Dungeon Hunter 4, but omit the first 3 games of the series. The first two games (which also happen to be pure premium) haven't been updated since 2010, and the 3rd game was last updated in 2012. Those games seem abandoned to me. Hardly prolific.

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    They're legacy titles. Considering how fast things move in mobile, it'd be like Activision updating CoD 4 with new content.

12. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Gameloft make da big games for uh da big money an now da big games are free but make more of duh money.

Period. Thread closed.

13. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    Who said anything about new content? I'm talking about bug and compatibility fixes. Apparently Gameloft's legacy will be abandoned games and soulless cash grabs.

14. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    They have always "borrowed" elements from well known games. At one time though, they had some credibility. Before they began their sale->update->monetize scheme.