Unity or SDK Dev?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by shodanng, Apr 2, 2009.

1. shodanng

shodanng Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Hi! I'm work as a Web Programmer and I'm interested in develop iPhone Game. Since I think I just have beginning programming skills and have no Mac programming experience, SDK Dev seems to be quite difficult for me to develop a good quality game. Also, as I'm a IT Degree graduate and a over 20 years gamer, I know that some components in game such as Physics and CG(e,g, Shadows & Light) is quite difficult to implement well without a good Game Engine.

Q1) So,is that Unity more suits me than SDK Dev for my case?

Q2) And I find that Unity Indie + with iPhone Basic = $598 but Unity Pro is much expensive. Is that Unity Indie is enough for normal game development?

Q3) What is the payment method allowed for buying Unity? I'm live in Hong Kong, so I should ensure that I can buy it and receive it without problem.

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions!!

P.S.
    I just have iPhone 3G but no Mac, I'll buy a Mac Mini or Macbook for development later. English is not my native language. :p

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

I would say so. I'd recommend becoming reasonably familiar with Unity before jumping into Unity iPhone. There's very little functional difference between them, but the iPhone is more challenging to program for because it's so limited compared to a desktop/laptop.

Yes.

Paypal for sure, and I think some other methods but I can't remember offhand.

That's probably why you write better than most native speakers. ;)

--Eric

3. travistrue08

travistrue08 Active Member

Mar 23, 2009
    President, Founder, Programmer, Game Designer, Par
    Vegas, Baby!
    So, is Unity an SDK to work alongside the iPhone SDK then? I see it uses a drag-and-drop editor that allows you to play and pause your games. This does not substitute all programming concerning game code right? Just the media and asset management end of it, right? I'm a control freak when it comes to programming, but I'm willing to give Unity a try if it can outdo my skinned model code which I'm counting on! It's only doing 10,200 textured vertices at 30fps which is not good. The texture is only 64x64 pixels as well.