Who else is sick of iPod 1G users being excluded from great games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Somerandomdude, Nov 16, 2009.

?

Are you sick of not being able to buy games because you have an iPod 1G?

1. YES! I want to be able to play all games, even at the sake of graphics.

35 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. No, they should have upgraded to a better device.

89 vote(s)
    71.8%
  1. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    #1 Somerandomdude, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    I've had it with these developers making games that work on every device EXCEPT the iPod 1G! I've been able to handle it until now, but with the release of Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies, it was just the last straw for me. I'm sure it would work perfectly fine on the 1G if they had made an option to reduce the graphics for us. I was REALLY looking foward to being able to play Nazi Zombies on my iPod on a long car trip that's coming up soon for me, but because of this stupidity, I can't. To me, it's like saying someone can't play a PS2 game because they have the fat one, or that you can't play a 360 game because you don't have the Elite.

Simply put, post here if your'e an iPod 1G user who is sick of being left out for having an older device. I know I'm fed up with it.

EDIT: Could a mod please move the thread? I accidentally placed it in the wrong category, it was meant to go in the games discussion.

2. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Wrong thread dude lol, but anyways... Yes it is unfair, but the preformance issues fail for 1G, i'm shure if you try to google some questions, something might pop up.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, it's more like a PS2 user raging because they can't play a PS3 game. The 3Gs is 4 times faster than the 3G -- I would expect that speed differences are comparable between 1st Gen and 3rd Gen iPod Touch.

Not saying that developers shouldn't cater to everyone (a game like Ravensword, for example, has been designed to work well on all devices while giving next gen users an enhanced experience). But it's to be expected that AAA developers will soon begin to focus their efforts on the next gen devices.

This should probably go in the game discussion section.

4. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Who else is sick of members posting this garbage in the wrong forum?

Lets say you were the devs behind CoD Zombies, would you waste the time making an option to reduce graphics on a $10 game for a community of technology laggards that aren't willing to buy a new, more advanced iPod who, in the devs mind, fit the same demographic as those who are likely to not even look at a $10 game.

I'm not targeting you or saying you're cheap, I'm just saying the average person with a 1G iPod Touch obviously doesn't have too much passion for iPod gaming so why would a dev make a premium game to fit their out-dated devices?

5. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    What I meant is that if they're such a big dev, why can't they make an option to downgrade the graphics for those on older systems, like Ravensword? It just seems like we're being FORCED to buy newer systems just to be able to keep up with the growing game technology.

and yeah i noticed the thread thing after posting

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Nope. Gonna pick up the new 3G iPod touch in a day or two :D

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I know what you meant. My point is that it's unfortunate, but unsurprising. Ravensword will likely be the exception, rather than the rule.

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Meh.

Welcome to the world of computer hardware.

9. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Seeing this trend, I may unfortunately have to say no to a PS3 this year and go for the iTouch 3g. Luckily an 8G is only 200 from the looks of their website (Or is that a 2g? Ah well, either way its a reasonable upgrade). My money would be better spent there, always been dying for a built in speaker and for my emulators to run at reasonable speeds.

10. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    A month ago I picked up the new Ipod Touch 3g. I had a 1st gen iTouch for a few years and was sick of the limitations (no speaker, no earbuds w/ mike, no cases, exclusions to games, etc.).

11. blk04a4

blk04a4 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    xray tech
    bay area cali
    i never owned a first gen, i actually didnt get into the iphone until the 3g came out, but i am going to have to take the latter side of this argument. If you want better games i think you should have a more powerful device, not expect devs to have a setting to reduce the graphics. As someone stated before, why should devs spend extra time putting stuff like that in, and judging by the way the poll is going, its not worth their time. keep up with the technology!

12. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    The ipod touch 3g 8gb is the exact same as the 2g 8gb.

13. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    ok good, looks like I'll be doing an upgrade after Christmas this year. I can hold out until then, plenty of good games comin out between now and then that work fine on my device.

I'll see you guys on Nazi Zombies in December! Or January! Depends on when my parents would take me to get a new one with my money (if they will, saying that it was a gift and then getting all mad at me for asking)

14. RoyalCanadian

RoyalCanadian Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    why would you even have a 1G? i dont even know how those look like. time to upgrade me thinks

15. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Sad, but true. :( But what bugs me even more is that many 1st Gen Touch owners have had so much difficulty even upgrading to OS 3.x successfully. What good is it to upgrade to 3.1.2 if I lose my ability to connect to wifi reliably? So I can download Eliminate, but can't play it because I can't connect to wifi, or keep losing the connection.

I think squarezero is right, though. I feel like I've got a PS1 and now all the good games are for PS3. Oh, well, maybe Santa will put a new iDevice in my stocking! :)

16. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    #16 Somerandomdude, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    I got it as a gift about a year and a half ago when it first came out (making it even harder for me to convince my parents to let me upgrade). I've been on the iDevice scene before the appstore was even being thought of! No respect for the veterans... lol

Well, luckily my friend is also getting an iTouch for Christmas, so we'll both get this (being Nazi Zombies fans on the 360) and get a bluetooth game going... Christmas can't come fast enough now.

17. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Totally understand where you're coming from. I also had an ipod touch 1st gen until recently, until getting an 8gb 2nd gen specifically for gaming. Much better experience.

18. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Why do I not know half of the people that's posting in this thread -_-?

19. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, my friends all have either some sort of iPhone or iTouch 2g. Wish there was a pay as you go plan for the iPhone though, I just killed my Virgin Mobile pay as you go phone in the washing machine.

20. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    I have a 1st gen and it does pretty much everything I need so I'm not upgrading any time soon (too many more important things in life to spend my limited money on). Plus I have yet to see a game worth spending $200+ to get a new device. Even the very best games are just pale imitations of much better games on the PC or consoles (e.g. Modern Combat, Eliminate, almost any racing game.. If they were PC games they'd be laughed out of the room) and in my opinion the best iphone games tend to be simpler but innovative, like Geodefense, Lion Pride, Defender Chronices...

So I really don't care about being excluded from newer and more intensive games. In fact I'd rather have the developer block me so I know not to buy it. That's far better than games that say they'll work (or don't say they WON'T work) but are so sluggish or buggy they're completely unplayable.

As for the devs, well, a smart one will make the game available to as many variations of the device as possible, because excluding blocks of customers is just terrible business. That's up to them though. Fact is there's still tons and tons of earlier phones and ipod touches and most people aren't going to upgrade every year; many won't update more than once every three or four years, and the latest-and-greatest 3GS crowd is actually just a small fraction of the user base. Then again they're also probably most likely to buy the newest 3D game and blow $50 on Eliminate cells, so there you go.