Beast Flyers! (An aerial action platformer with cool creature physics)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jychong, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jychong

jychong Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    #1 jychong, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    Hello touch arcade forum people,
    I will like to show a beta gameplay video/demo of our latest game Beast Flyers!.
    This is an after hours/weekend project done by 2 people over a period of 3 months. We are aiming for an end of april submission date.

Beast Flyers! features:
    - Single player story campaign spanning multiple missions
    - A unique creature physics engine, creatures deform and react according to real world physics
    - Different weather effects and environments. Fight in snow, rain etc. Experience lightning strikes, hail storms, volcanoes spewing lava
    - Cling onto aerial creatures using your magical energy rope. Have fun with rope physics!
    - Research creatures and arm yourself with their unlocked abilities!
    - Collect energy crystals in the sky, battle mythical beasts like the phoenix, dragon and lightning wyrm
    - Other modes include time trials and survival
    - High scores and achievements via OpenFeint

Here is a preview video of the game in beta(please excuse us for it being a rough cut. It's beta :) ) :
    [hqyoutube]kQ6zP72TTdM[/hqyoutube]

The art and parts of the game are still going through polishing and tweaking.
    Please take a look at it and let me know what you guys think.

Updated Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks!
    Developers of Beast Flyers!

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Sounds cool, but the video is broken.

3. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    Yea... I think youtube was down for a while. You should refresh and try it again. I think it's up now.

4. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    #4 Devilishly Good, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    it certainly does look interesting and unique...do you control where the flying creature is taking you?

5. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    Thanks for embedding the video... but youtube seems to be flaky today... I might repost again later on if it keeps occurring...

6. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    Yes you do. The basic idea is that you shoot these energy ropes that cling onto creatures. Once the rope is connected to the creature, you have control of the creature and you can fly the creature anywhere around the screen. The controls are also very simple. You just tap on your desired destination and your creature will take you there!

thanks,

7. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    I am reposting this because of youtube connection issues earlier on in the day.
    Hopefully you guys can see the video now:
    [hqyoutube]kQ6zP72TTdM[/hqyoutube]

This is a game made by 2 people as an after hours project. Hope you guys enjoy it. We are aiming for a end of April submission date..

thanks,

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Looks fun. Are levels dynamically generated? I mean I assume the types of creatures and hazards will be pre-determined for a level but their exact positioning and spawn points randomized?

9. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    Yes, the spawn points are all randomly determined.
    In addition to that, for boss creatures, the animation is not keyframed.
    Rather, we have a creature physics system that drives the motion of the creatures based on desired motion. So a giant bat can be flapping and moving its body in one direction but when you interact with it(say by colliding with it), the body will deform and arch back due to the impact of the colliding body. Basically the dynamics of the boss creatures are not pre-scripted and they have some freedom to respond to inputs from the outside world. Hope that explanation helps.

thanks,

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Very cool!

11. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    Hello touch arcade people,
    I am gathering opinions for our upcoming game Beast Flyers! (Check out the earlier posts for the video)

I am wondering if we need or should have a gore knob for the amount of blood particles spewing in the game. I've heard mixed reactions from people(some say there is too little blood and they want to turn it up for some reason).
    What do you guys think? Check out the video above and let me know. Your comments/opinions are welcome and will be taken into consideration as the game goes through more polishing. Feel free to comment on other things regarding the game as well.

thanks!

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    My question, besides maybe a matter of taste, does the gore heavily influence performance on older devices? Could this even be abused (i.e. turn up gore to maximum to keep the game slow and easier to manage)?

13. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    That is a good point. Currently the particle system has been optimized quite a bit so hopefully this won't be an issue. It only renders what particles can be seen on screen and batches all the renders as well. When you mean older devices, do you refer to the first generation of iphones and ipod touches?

thanks,

14. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    Hello people!
    Here is a brief update of Beast Flyers!

[​IMG]

We have our webpage(still work in progress):
    http://www.troodonproductions.net/BeastFlyers/

Please let me know what you think! Your comments will definitely be taken into consideration. If any of you are interested, you can PM me for a code in return for game reviews when it gets released(we are targeting an end of April submission date)

Some new screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Still looks fun!

16. esoteric

esoteric Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Software Engineer
    More videos/gameplay demonstrations, please. Also, what kind of game is this? The images look neat, but kind of confusing what the game story and gameplay is featuring.

17. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    It's OUT:
    [thread]53632[/thread]