Do you sing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Oceraux, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Oceraux

Oceraux Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    #1 Oceraux, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    I can sing but not so professionally, and I have a not-so-wide vocal range, I can sing Alt. Metal (SOAD, Slipknot), Thrash Metal (Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer etc.), Pop rock (Maroon 5), Rock (The Killers), and the best of my voice - Death metal (Death) and lot of other Rock/Metal subgenres. You? Tell me about some songs you sing..

2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I love singing along to Taylor Swift. I have trouble deciding whether or not I should do my regular voice or my horrendous high-pitched voice to match Ms. Swift :p

I sometimes listen to Senses Fail and want to just take in the lyrics.. while other times I like to sing along.

I mostly rap along to stuff, though. Nas, Eminem, Bad Meets Evil, Hopsin, Lupe Fiasco, "Airplanes" and "Airplanes Pt. II" by B.o.B. ft. Hayley Williams, "Worldwide Choppers" by every damn rapper imaginable... I like rap a lot. :cool:

The only time I sang publicly was at Christmas last year, when I sang to the whole family a song I learned in Russian class. It was called Катьюша, I think. It's been a while, but it's a very popular song there, and I believe it is a wartime anthem.

3. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010

...how do you like rap and Taylor Swift?

4. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    So you're pop and hiphop? Nice, do you listen to any rock by chance?

5. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    You've gotta hear me sing B.Y.O.B. (by System of a Down/SOAD) and Spirit Crusher (by Death). The scream at the chorus of Spirit Crusher, is eargasmic

6. I can scream, though acoustically, it's quiet in a quiet place, and practically inaudible in a noisy place

7. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Wow, lots of rap and metal love around here! Let me throw my hat into the Power Pop ring for a minute. I've been singing for about 12 years, starting with singing along to Green Day, Weezer, Alkaline Trio, and other pop punky type junk when I was in high school. Around that time I started learning how to play guitar (I already knew drums) and started writing/recording terrible songs in my basement.

Flash forward to now, I've learned piano and bass and am trying to be more like the Beatles and Brian Wilson and less like Blink 182 (to stick with alliteration). In college I was a finalist in the John Lennon Scholarship songwriting competition and have played the International Pop Overthrow festival a few times (well, two cities, only one year, but still!)

And this finally brings me to my half assed plug of my current band Sweet Diss and the Comebacks which can be heard at sweetdiss.com.

Any other bands around the TA forums?

8. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    I can relate so much, but the volume of my screaming has increased so much, but the last month I can only scream like the 83s Metallica, if you know what I'm talkin' about, but its not even near to death metal and you can't almost hear it.

9. B.o.B featuring Taylor Swift - Both of Us

That is all.

10. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    No, to the mercy of everyone.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Tenacious D's #### Her Gently is my go to karaoke staple if that counts.

12. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I request that on the next podcast, please.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

My parents listen to the podcast and that'd be pretty awkward. :X

14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Hell yeah, I sing! In my car and in the shower! Would anyone wanna hear that? hell no!!! :D

15. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Because I have a broad taste in music? :p

Sure, we could go with that. I listen to more than I sing to, including Brand New, Metallica (have to be in the mood, though), Megadeth (same as Metallica)...

I'm not sure. I listen to lots of different music. But the biggies are Eminem, Senses Fail, and Taylor Swift. :D

16. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Yes I love to sing! I'm a tenor. I have sung opera , classical but my favourite singers to sing along with are Jon Anderson ( of Yes), Kate Bush, Kylie Minogue, Bruce Cockburn, Carrie Newcomer
    My favorite music to sing to though is my own music compositions

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #17 Vovin, Jul 19, 2013
    I sang all my life. I am singing in a choir now, bass and some alt. We practically sing everything from Musical stuff over pop to rock and traditionals. I've also sung in a metal band and a German medieval band. And, funny fact: rapping helped my a lot with more fluent English speech. I learned dozens of songs, all the old heroes. Cypress Hill, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys and those. Wanted to rap along with Busta Rhymes but epically failed.

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #18 drelbs, Jul 19, 2013
    Unfortunately for those around me, yes, though our 4yo doesn't seem to mind. :)

I think you can hear me singing a bit on my SoundCloud page, thankfully there's nothing on there that hasn't been through a vocoder or some sort of distortion. :eek:

EDIT: Almost forgot Smule's Glee app - there are a few recordings of me, only slightly auto-tuned, out there. Seek them out at your own risk. (I am especially fond of my rendition of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but for some reason my rendition of Sweet Transvestite was well received by teh interwebs.

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Oh. Fine. Drelbs is singing Sweet Transvestite. Now I got pictures in my head.

20. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    My favorite part about that was downloading the song - "Would you like to buy one Sweet Transvestite for $0.99?" :D