So... Infinity Blade vs Rage (or specifically Epic Games vs iD Software).

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Dec 10, 2010.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Who impressed more, and why?

2. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Infinity Blade looks more like a real game. Rage seemed more like an ad for the real console game not yet released.

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    In the red corner we have the reigning champ Rage the "killer" iD *crowd cheers*

And in the blue corner we have the challenger, Infinity "Epic" Blade!!! *more screams*

Who will win this battle to the death! The day has come to watch these two juggernauts go toe-to-toe in a fight for biased opinions based on which app you purchased!!! *countless yells, a woman takes off her shirt*

4. Ste-ve

Ste-ve Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Both, and I really hope all devs push the hardware to it's limits as we now know it can be done. Hopefully when the iP5 comes out devs/customers will move to new hardware so this can be done.

5. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Havn't gotten Infinity Blade yet, and honestly probably won't unless some major price drop come's along. Not that it's terribly priced now, it just doesn't appeal to me game-play wise. It look awesome as shit otherwise, and looks like it might be more technically impressive than RAGE. RAGE however, I did buy and was happy with it considering I only spent a couple bucks on it. It looks amazing, plays amazing, and great for little bursts of awesomeness (as we all know it sure as shit doesn't last long).

I don't consider myself a cheap ass gamer on the appstore (bout to drop the $$$ on Aralon and already dropped some $$$ on Eternal Legacy) but some games just don't appeal to me for the price they ask. Most games I play for like an hour anyways and then leave them alone. Thus is the addiction to the app store.

Enough rambling. To sum it up, Inifinity Blade looks like it looks better than RAGE, but I agree with said post above, I hope they (and others) both continue to push this little machine to do some sick biddings.

6. TheEvilNoob

TheEvilNoob Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Noob assassinator
    My evil lair
    Infinity Blade no contest. and i rofled at that line right there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Rage wins hands down!

8. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Infinity Blade is more advanced. Graphics wise, the two are equal-ish, but Rage uses generic controls and the interface is ugly. Infinity Blade has controls best suited for iOS more than any other game. And IB has an advanced loot system, while Rage has nothing. I'll pick up both, though.

9. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Aralon will win :D

But seriously, out of the two, I much prefer Infinity Blade. RAGE was horrible.

10. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Infinity Blade is better graphically, but I prefer the awesome gameplay of Rage. I like both.

11. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Okay, here's how it went down. I bought Rage and Infinity Blade at the same time, on the same day.

I've drained my battery like three times on Infinity Blade. I couldn't take anymore than 5 minutes of Rage, the default tilt controls where terrible, the graphics weren't as good as IB's and the gameplay was boring.

I just love IB's gameplay, it's very cool and something I've wanted to see in a game for a while now. While it is getting repetitive, I'm still having fun and I can imagine myself playing it from time to time just to admire the graphics. Also, IB has promised content updates, which sound amazing, and Mr. Carmack said there will be no content updates for Rage (right?)

But eventually I'll try to figure out Rage, no sense in throwing away two bucks.

12. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    #12 5duc29, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
    Do you play with gyroscope controls? If you do, that could be the reason why the tilt controls were awkward. That happened to me when I transitioned from NOVA with gyroscope controls to Rage (tilting). It felt like the tilt controls were so horrible that I switched to touch for a while. Now I am playing with tilt controls and everything seems to be in sync, but that's only because I haven't used gyroscope controls for some time now..

I like Infinity Blade but it felt a little too repetitive compared to Rage. Rage had three levels with awesome shooting action while IF has one level with weapon XP and weapons upgrades. The sword slashing was fun but I think I would probably stick with a shooter game..

I could change my mind when the next update comes out for IF..

13. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    #13 Hmar9333, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
    Personally? Infinity Blade by FAR

Rage was great and all, but there just wasn't enough substance, plus, Infinity Blade looks better, which leads me to my next point:

How is it that Rage, with significantly less content and arguably worse graphics, is almost TWICE the size of Infinity Blade?

Edit: I also think that Epics' mentality for the control scheme (make something that fits, not fit something in) really helped.

14. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I enjoyed IB a lot more as well.

To answer your question, Rage's file size probably comes from the sound. I've noticed that a lot of the file size in many large games comes from the sound.

15. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    And also the cutscenes+trailer for the console version of RAGE

16. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Eh, I still don't see how it can be so big.

17. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    This.

Infinity Blade may be a little repetitive, but it's a hell of a lot more fun than Rage. There's more to do, and more skills to master. I almost got the hang of parrying.

18. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Hmm that could be it. I was fine with tilt controls on JCS...unless those where gyro. If JCS was gyro controls, that could explain the awkwardness I felt with the tilt controls.

Eh, I mean you can change the options for that, so it shouldnt really be a problem.

19. Zinle

Zinle Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Rage is the first of a few games on the iphone. Rage: Monster Bash TV was more like a public test, to see what the device is capable of. Next year, they will either port the game as a iphone full version, or just make a new "mode" for it-Rage: (gamename)

20. dream

dream Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    You know, as someone who remembers the id and Epic battles from before there was hardware acceleration for 3D graphics...there's something pretty cool about id and Epic going head to head on iOS.

Although if you had told me this would happen back in the 90s, I'd probably call you a goddamn liar.