iPhone coding language?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by mebeswordguy, Aug 9, 2009.

1. mebeswordguy

mebeswordguy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    What is the iphone coding language? is it java? C? Any good explanations of the language?

2. fluffyguitarist

fluffyguitarist Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    it's C++

3. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    You could use C or C++, but the iPhone mainly uses Objective-C.

4. fluffyguitarist

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    it's mainly C++

5. mebeswordguy

Jul 5, 2009
    Thank you. is there any good way to learn tis?

6. fluffyguitarist

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    get a book. or better yet leave programming to the pros.. not to be a dick or anything.... that and you also need to be good at trig and calc. to do programming (at least for some projects)

7. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    You can write an app using zero C++, so it's by no means "mainly C++" :confused:

The system APIs are Objective C and C. You can freely mix Objective C, C, and C++ for your own code.

Best way to learn is to download the SDK and read the documentation (IMHO).

8. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    #8 henr1kk, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    You can use only Objective-C or you can mix it with C or C++ (which is probably the best way to go if you want to port it to other platforms later).
    If you're going to be developing just for the iPhone (and/or Mac), you should probably start with Objective-C because it's easy to learn and it's an object-oriented language (you can get results faster than with a procedural language like C and it'll keep you motivated to try new things).
    If you start with ObjC, you should get "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" because it's the best book out there. Later, you should get "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" in order to learn how to communicate with the Cocoa (and Cocoa Touch) API.
    If you want to learn C (before or after you learn ObjC), I recommend "Learn C on the Mac".
    You should also visit sites like iDevGames or iCodeBlog and follow this forum closely. Don't forget to download all the documentation and source code from Apple's Developer site. That'll teach you some interesting stuff.
    If you're interested in making a 2D game, also check out Cocos2D.
    Hope I helped :)

9. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

No, don't leave it to "the pros". Look at all the crap in the AppStore! What pros? We need more Pros, so learn this stuff and make something good...someday :)

Or you could try Unity which is what I'm using. You still need to code, but it's a lot easier depending on what kind of games you want to make.

10. fluffyguitarist

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    holy crap guys you are retarded. don't look at the shitty documentation in the SDK. get a book. i.e C++ for dummies. gosh.......

11. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    "not to be a dick" fluffyguitarist but you should let answer people that obviously know what they're talking about more than you, like Frank Condello and henr1kk :)

12. fluffyguitarist

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    no, me and my friend are both highly advanced at C++, which is what you use to program for the SDK. And the reason why we don't? Because we find that the iPhone platform for programming is a waste of time.

13. mebeswordguy

Jul 5, 2009
    Thanks for all the help, and since I alreday know C, I will learn ObjC :) Thank you.

14. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    Good for you. I also can code in C and C++, but it doesn't change the fact the iphone SDK native language is Obj-C. You might say that C++ is the best choice for certain applications and you might have your reasons, but "mainly C++" is still the wrong answer.

15. fluffyguitarist

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    oh wow way to go! I bet you feel so good! ha no........ C++ wins..... haha

I don't see why you would want to program for the SDK anyway... I mean there are so many hidden gems in the app store that the possibility of your app getting popular is very slim... not saying that it won't happen I'm just saying that it's very hard.

16. mebeswordguy

Jul 5, 2009
    Then why are you in the developers forum xD

17. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Not sure where you're getting your information, but the vast majority of the apps available on the store are 95% Objective C, with bits of C here and there for Quartz usage. Yes, if you're making an OpenGL game, you will probably end up using C++, with a few Objective C calls to interface with the SDK. But OpenGL games do not even come close to making up the majority of the App Store. The SDK is in Objective C, with bits of older technology in it, which is done in C.

18. darchinst

darchinst Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    manager
    Shreveport, la
    hahaha, reminds me of a dave chappell quote:

"GOTCHA BIT**!!!"

19. fluffyguitarist

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    oh.... well then.... lol i'll shut up now because you're little white bear..... lol

20. alta219

alta219 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Yeah, Obj-C. Note that Obj-C is technically a superset of C, so it's very easy for C programmers to pick up -- all it does is add capability to what you already know.