Unlock Codes for Beat Brite, a new Music/Rhythm Game

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by okeedokeben, Feb 11, 2013.

1. okeedokeben

okeedokeben Member

Feb 8, 2013
    App Developer
    Cincinnati, USA
    Hey guys, if you enjoy music/rhythm games, please check out my recently released game. It's called Beat Brite, and it's like smashing a bunch of Simon games together to create 80s drumloops. It's free to try, and I'll give anyone interested here an unlock code to bypass the in-app purchase (which is usually $0.99). You can download the game here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beat-brite/id586646334?mt=8

Leave a post, and I'll get you a code. I'd love comments and suggestions as well! Thanks!

2. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    #2 repapermunky, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    I'd certainly appreciate a code. I'll come back with feedback as well.

EDIT: So far I'm really enjoying this game. The UI is very simple, but you'll soon get over that as you become engrossed in the game. The idea is fantastic, and I'm giving the dev two thumbs up for the creativity. The way the sets begin to loop after a stage, resulting in a beat at the end is awesome. It makes you want to get to the end to hear the final product. That and messing around in the free play mode is cool. This one is staying on my phone for sure. Keep up the great work!

Honestly reviewed,
    repapermunky

PS To the dev: Despite a good amount of content in the game, I'm hoping there will be new content added in the future!

3. okeedokeben

okeedokeben Member

Feb 8, 2013
    App Developer
    Cincinnati, USA
    Thanks! Just sent it to you!

4. Bartow

Bartow Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2012
    I'd like a in-app code,thanks

5. okeedokeben

okeedokeben Member

Feb 8, 2013
    App Developer
    Cincinnati, USA
    Done. Thanks for trying it!

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Would love a code, thanks! :)

7. okeedokeben

okeedokeben Member

Feb 8, 2013
    App Developer
    Cincinnati, USA
    Great, hope you enjoy it!

8. cpn pixel

cpn pixel New Member

Feb 11, 2013
    I had a quick play; I can see with practice it would be a lot of fun.
    A suggestions:

Main Menu:
    UI is a little difficult to grasp at first; perhaps a collapsible menu for the various difficulties (Beginner, Easy etc), with a tap to expand/contract them?
    Move the Tutorial to the top (above beginner).

Tutorial:
    Gets a little tricky at the end.
    Given you need the player to suceed here AND enjoy the game in order to have them play more and hopefully make a purchase, I would suggest making the final sequence simpler. Of course, if this is more aimed at musicians than casual players, it may well be ok as is.

Difficulty:
    I would aim to make the difficulty on the beginner levels such that finishing it can be done quite quickly, and enjoyably leaving the player wanting more (ie helping you sell your IAP). This is more a business point that anything though and it depends on how you see your market (if it's a musician niche, then the current setting may be just right).

Menu Navigation:
    Tap any of the Easy songs and you are sent to an IAP confirm screen, cancelling this returns you to the top menu, not the level select menu (a bug?).

Sorry, don't have time to play anymore now, but will try the rest of the beginner levels later today.
    Best of luck with the app!

9. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I'd love to have a code! :)

10. okeedokeben

okeedokeben Member

Feb 8, 2013
    App Developer
    Cincinnati, USA
    Thanks for the great feedback!

I love the UI ideas - a collapsible menu may help tremendously, especially if I end up adding songs in the future. The IAP cancel should go back to where it was launched from - oops!

I had gone back and forth about the difficulty. Originally, I had it much easier, but I was worried about the niche music/rhythm game players losing interest without a challenge. On the other hand, more casual players may have trouble getting into it with its current higher difficulty. Part of what I'm interested in hearing is to see if the concept is appealing to casual players, or if I should just concentrate on the more hardcore music/rhythm niche.

Again, thanks so much!

11. okeedokeben

okeedokeben Member

Feb 8, 2013
    App Developer
    Cincinnati, USA
    Absolutely! Enjoy!

12. cpn pixel

cpn pixel New Member

Feb 11, 2013
    I think the difficulty really depends on how you see your app and how the market responds. Maybe you should take a look at the analytics for your app; where people tend to quit/uninstall etc? If that's not an option, take a look at other similar apps with AppAnnie or something to get a idea of sales.
    Or just see how people respond here ;)

13. okeedokeben

okeedokeben Member

Feb 8, 2013
    App Developer
    Cincinnati, USA
    Right, that's kind of what I was hoping - to get a feel of what people think, here and elsewhere. I went the free + one-time IAP route out of curiosity. I thought having a free app would help visibility, since I have no budget for marketing. I also was thinking that I love when games have a playable demo (i.e. XBLA) that is easily upgradable to the full version. The separate free/lite app and paid app model always irritated me, but it might be worth trying, since other developers seem to find success with it.

I totally went on a tangent there. Sorry about that. :)

14. francescoted95

francescoted95 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    I like this app Can i have One code?

15. quickninja21

quickninja21 Member

Feb 6, 2013
    At first glance, my first thought was, another music game? Then I downloaded it any way and it is probuably the ONLY ORIGINAL music/rhythm game out there. It has earned a special place on my iPod, so this is basically saying I would love to have a code!

16. cpn pixel

cpn pixel New Member

Feb 11, 2013
    #16 cpn pixel, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    Played a little more, so a few more ideas.

UI:
    Switch metronome colours to denote guidance/player turn (helpful when returning from a pause and trying to remember where you are).

New Beat Earned
    Not immediately obvious what this is.
    Make this clickable (presume its for the Jam/Create? If so, could provide info and link to IAP).
    Edit: explained in tutorial, but doesn't hurt to have a little extra info.

Marketing wise, you could try teaming up with some indie musicians; they put tunes on your game, you advertise them in your app. If you sell individual songs/song packs you could revenue share too. Maybe it's to showcase your own music, in which case the IAP would be gravy and you just want as many eyeballs on your app as possible.

17. okeedokeben

okeedokeben Member

Feb 8, 2013
    App Developer
    Cincinnati, USA
    Definitely! Thanks!

18. okeedokeben

okeedokeben Member

Feb 8, 2013
    App Developer
    Cincinnati, USA
    Thanks! Can I quote you on that? :)

And I know the easiest way to describe it to someone is to mention Simon, but I hate associating it with that, because a) there are a million Simon clones in the app store and b) Simon bores me to tears. :)

19. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    would a code please?

20. okeedokeben

okeedokeben Member

Feb 8, 2013
    App Developer
    Cincinnati, USA
    Thanks for taking the time to do this! Did you catch that the metronome is in a different location for the computer/player turns? It's really subtle, but it may need to be more pronounced.

Yeah, the beats are like the stars in most games, and each difficulty tier is unlocked based on how many you have. I tried to keep it as simple as possible, but that's probably not explained very well.

I love the idea of having song packs by indie musicians. I'll look into that further. I hesitate to do any other IAP. I'm personally opposed to that kind of model - I'd rather just keep updating with new stuff (if I can afford to do so). :)