Can't re-download old apps ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by STYJ, Apr 17, 2011.

1. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Here's the thing , yes I know if you purchase an app , you can redownload it for free however what about those you got for free ?

I wanted to redownload 3bot and Wispin (both of which i got for free) again but when i clicked buy now , it doesn't say "the update is free because you've purchased it before" but rather , now it says "are you sure you want to buy and download Wispin? Your payment method will be charged and your application will begin downloading immediately"

Did the guys at apple change something to the app store ?

2. b00mers

b00mers Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    whiterun
    normaly if you carry on downloading just say yes the second box will say stuff about it already being purchased and you will get it for free

3. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Really ? And if it doesn't ? are you gonna pay me back ? :p I guess I'll give it a shot !

Let's hope they don't charge me again .

edit : Awesome . Problem solved . Thanks a lot :)

4. bunglez

bunglez Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Tree
    UK
    You can always test by clicking the review button. If it works, you already own it and won't have to pay again. :)

5. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    This only works on iTunes. On the iPhone app store it will open the review text box for every app even if you don't own it.

On the iPhone app store you have to actually write a review and hit "submit" before it will tell you if you already own it or not. (Didn't used to be this way, be careful)

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Apple already added a new feature in iPad appstore which shows an app as Owned app if you dowloaded it from your iTunes account but dont have it installed on the ipad. Hopefully that feature will make it to iTunes and iPhone appstore too someday and there wont be any need to check it with the review trick.

7. phazer89

phazer89 Well-Known Member

Ah thanks for the question and answers, I always wondered about this but didn't really try and find out because it was more of an "in-case" thing then.

Hope so too, I was hoping they had such a feature long ago.

8. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    One thing i'm not that sure about though ... assume I was given a promo code for this game . Say I deleted it but a few days later I wanna redownload it again , do I have to pay for it ?

9. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    No you don't. Once the promo code is used, you get all updates and everything acts as if you purchased the app normally. It's 100% yours.

10. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Alright . Thanks :)

11. tonydeli7

tonydeli7 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Freelance Computer Engineer
    Greece
    To test if you own the game,add it to your Wishlist.
    If you own it,a pop up will tell you that purchased items cannot be added to the wishlist.. ;)

12. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    That's another good way to tell. If you are on iTunes on the computer. But there is no wishlist feature on the devices app store.

13. bunglez

bunglez Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Tree
    UK

Good to know that. I've never tried reviewing something on the actual device. My fingers are much too fat for the keyboard.

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The best way to test if you own an app is by trying to rate it. You can do this both on iTunes and through the device. Just click however many stars you think the game deserves, and if you own the game, the rating will go through. The system replies "Thanks!" if you own the game. If you don't own it, the system says something like "You must own the game to rate it." Peace.