Defender Chronicles 1.2 – Forbidden Forest and the new Potion System

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Gimka, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

Forbidden Forest
    Tarnwood, the forbidden forest, is used to be the main gateway between the Empire and the land of the Elves. After the rise of the undead, however, the forest has fallen to the darkness. Many heroes have visited Tarnwood but none have been seen to return.

Before the departure of the General from Breewich, the white wizard Lozzenthell has divined a vision. The Wizard claimed to see an old sword, sings with incredible power. The sword has won many battles for its wielders and has slain many evils, but has been since forgotten by all. It is hidden somewhere in the realm and is now waiting to be found again. The General searched the realm and eventually recovered the legendary sword.

Lozzenthell insists that for the survival of the troops in Tarnwood, and for the good of the land, this event must come to pass.

Potion System
    Once Tarnwood is defeated, a potion store will appear on the world map. This potion store will sell a variety of potions.

[​IMG]

For 1.2, the store will be selling 2 types of potions:

1. Elixir of Forgetfulness
    Reset hero’s skills and returns all points back to the hero.
    Usage: immediate.
    Side effect: hero may lose few levels.

2. Healing Potion
    Instant heal for 750 health points.
    Usage: deliver to a guild during quest.
    Dosage: 5x

Possible new potion for 1.3: Beast Potion – feed your warriors with this and see them turn into something else ;)

As you have noticed, in Defender Chronicles, each unit has its own distinct characteristic and artificial intelligence. They act independently. You don’t direct the units when and who to attack. Each unit, however, is consistent with their behaviors. And by learning their behaviors, you can then develop a strategy on how to use them effectively.

To stay faithful to its gameplay style, Defender Chronicles will employ a rather unique way for its potion system. You won’t be forcing a unit to drink a potion. Instead you give the unit the potion and the unit will keep it. It will be then up to the unit to decide when to use it.

We have, of course, implemented a good AI for the units so they will be smart enough to know when to use the potions and when to reserve them for later

More features in 1.2:

• Level 2 Trade Shop Access.
    • Hero’s skill level is now limited to 50 (if your hero has passed this limit, you can still keep it like that but you won’t be able to increase the skill level again).
    • New in-game music (subject if they are done before 1.1 is approved).

New features in 1.1 (waiting for approval):
    http://www.defenderchronicles.com/forum/index.php?topic=20.0

Defender Chronicles 1.2 will be submitted after 1.1 is approved. If this takes time, we’ll just keep adding more features into 1.2.

Note: Tarnwood will be the last map with forest theme. As we enter the Elf land, the following maps will have different theme. Let us know if you have preference of what kind of map theme that you would like to see next.

As always, if you have suggestions, please don’t hesitate to let us know. We’ll consider all good feedbacks. Thank everyone for all the supports! :)

If you don't know the game yet, here is a good introductory video:

Now if you’ll excuse us, I’m going to take my wife to watch the new Transformer movie :D
    Has anyone watched it? Is it any good? I'm so excited.

2. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    i heard transformers was good

any promo codes :D JK

3. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

Well, we are going to see it this afternoon so it better be good :)

No promo codes. Chillingo took them all :D

4. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States

so you guys dont get any at all only chillingo gets them?

5. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    If you like tower defense games at all, this game is definitely worth the asking price, especially with the added RPG elements. If you're like me and don't like tower defense games, there's a good chance you'll like this one anyway. I know I do :)

The whole "reset" option on the hero is quite intriguing. It took me a couple of reads to realize what was going on there, but I really like the concept.

6. ASFx

ASFx Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Very nice updates. Im excited :) Im tempted to just reset my profile and start over once the update is released so its more fair since my level is already so high.

7. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i forget....why would you ever buy and use the Elixir of Forgetfulness? just in case you wanted to try something new and different?

8. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    #8 SoCal_Sponger, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
    Looks great! I guess Im gonna save up my 1000+ tokens for the new store :p

9. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    You already asked that question before you took the potion, but I'll answer AGAIN :) It must be for people who put all their points in the wrong places and want to try a different balance.

10. AlvinoTheChipmunk

AlvinoTheChipmunk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    =O I'm gonna try and max out every skill to 100 before this update haha

11. Closter

Closter Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2009
    #11 Closter, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
    I read to fast, oops

12. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I'm hoping they mean the point level for each individual skill (like Cunning), and that the hero's main "level" is not limited.

(This game uses "level" in a few different ways. I saw a tip that said a level 2 spellcaster is a Mage. Then... what's a level 1? And it said rangers were the level 3 bowmen... so what are the other levels? Just wondering.)

13. Tipop

Tipop Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Yeah, I really, REALLY hope he was referring to individual skill levels, rather than the hero's actual level. Capping the actual level at 50 would be way to restrictive and would essentially kill the game's replayability for me.

14. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Hes talking about the hero's skills, not his level.

15. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Thanks a lot Gimka for adding in our suggestions. I certainly can't wait for these great updates to come out :D! COME ON APPLE!!! SPEED IT UP!!!

16. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

Stykman, Chillingo offered us if we want to have some promo codes and they will then give the rest to media. We told them to just give the codes to media first and we’ll take the rest. We never heard anything back. So, I assume Chillingo has put them to good use :)

PointOfLight, thanks!

Tower Defender, it’s thanks to you and everyone for helping us to improving this game :D

Sorry for the confusion about the level cap.

The cap is for skill level; not the hero level. The hero level is still infinite.

You can also add item modifier on top of the commander skill. For instance, you can add +20 bowman commander from your helmet on top of the 50 bowman commander skill from your hero; the final bowman commander skill will then be 70.

Once you update to 1.2, you can still keep the skill level of existing hero above 50 but you won’t be able to increase it further.

And once you use Elixir of Forgetfulness, it will get capped at 50.

BTW, the movie is excellent. You guys should check it out ;)