Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Week (October 3)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Oct 4, 2013.

?

What was your favorite release the week of October 3?

Poll closed Oct 10, 2013.
  1. Transport Tycoon

12.5%
  2. Pandemic: The Board Game

15.6%
  3. Level 22

25.0%
  4. The Cave

15.6%
  5. Machines at War 3

9.4%
  6. Nakama

12.5%
  7. A Small Hunt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. A Story of A Band

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Heart Breaker: Infinite Dungeon

9.4%
  1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I hope Level 22 gets more attention. ;)

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #22 undeadcow, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    My nominations:
    The Cave
    Infinite Dunamis
    Heart Breaker: Infinite Dungeon
    A Story of A Band
    A Small Hunt

Ultimately the 1 post vote account (Womble) was created on 9/21/13 before the game was released (or nomination thread posted) so I did not suspect shill voting when reviewing last week's outcome.

I'd be interested in feedback from the community but I personally feel GOTW should be open even to people with low participation and bar only those users created just for voting. The only class the original post rules ban is created accounts just for voting, should that be changed?

3. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Here are the nomination outcomes with the top 9 making the poll due to a 4 way tie for 10th place:

Transport Tycoon 7
    Pandemic 6
    Level 22 5
    Nakama 4
    Machines At War 5
    The Cave 5
    A Small Hunt 2
    A Story of A Band 2
    Heart Breaker: Infinite Dungeon 2
    ---------------Top 9---------------
    Rhino Rush Stampede
    Tanto Cuore
    Gunner Z
    Infinite Dunamis

4. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The poll is now live, users are encouraged to discuss their votes.

5. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    While I understand wanting to keep the voting free from manipulations, I'm all for counting people who has low post count, especially if they have created account before the game came out. This voting thing, to me, is turning into an elitist TA forum member thing. To me, its really unwelcoming to new members and doesn't encourage game discussions and forum participation.

6. Machines at War 3

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think we're going a bit OTT. If that vote was the deciding one for game of the week I could understand. But it's for 3rd choice! The vote counted, not really an issue. Believe me if I knew it was a fake vote I would be the first to wade in

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I agree 100% and for any role I play in GOTW discussion intend to keep it open to any participants interested. In this spirit of open communication I'm just wanted to fact check the rules on vote counting and ensure I wasn't overlooking any intelligent consideration otherwise. Thank you.

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Haha..thanks for entertaining my mini-rant. ;-)

Just wanna say good job of keeping this thing going and all the stuff you have to put up with week after week. =)

For what its worth, I like this thread when we're all discussing games. Its really helpful in bringing attention to me games that I've overlooked. The latest one being Boson X. =)

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Undeadcow, thanks for your explanation regarding the user who had one post before the game came out. That's clearly not a violation.

And I wanted to make clear I was half joking (showing my support for Shadow Vamp) and wasn't really THAT upset over two games that only got 6-7 votes.

As far as going forward, I too want this to be welcoming to recent members and certainly don't think it's only for "elitist" members. But it also becomes a fine line. The poll really is just a fun thing and doesn't have "major" significance.

And last week clearly wasn't this case, but I still think there's got to be some sort of guidelines. When a dev has 20 people join just to "stack the vote" that's not fun either. So, what I'm saying is that we should be welcoming but also use some common sense if there's more to it than just a new member voting. If it gets to the point where we do allow completely new users to vote and it seems fairly obvious it's for manipulation, then I doubt I'd bother voting anymore.

In summary, we somehow need to be welcoming and have fun with this, but try not to allow blatant vote manipulation ...or the fun will be gone too.

11. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #31 ojtitus, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    I haven't decided who my vote is going to yet but I did want to agree that a vote should not be excluded simply because the individual isn't active here, if it is a shill or manipulation then that is something else but it does not sound like the account in question is a shill or manipulator.

12. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Whilst I love A Small Hunt as it really it is proper good iOS fun, Level 22 is pure gold - actually very funny too.

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #33 awp69, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    Voted for Nakama because it's a great little button masher with a decent challenge. It's also wonderful for short gaming sessions.

That said, I will be getting Level 22 at some point with some of the strong recommendations here. Watching my bank account dwindle to new lows, but if nothing peaks my interest this week, I will likely grab it.

14. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Still on Transport Tycoon

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Voted for Nakama, poor week for me though.

Couple of the usual style runner games i'm not a fan of. Transport Tycoon nearly swayed me as i love games from yesteryear but not a fan of sim type games. We're a fussy bunch arent we ! ;)

16. Estrica

Estrica Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Transport Tycoon <3
    Loved the original and I really like how the controls are on the iPad. Nicely done.

17. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    My vote went to Pandemic, my love for board games won out in the end but Machines at War 3,Heart Breaker, and Transport Tycoon are also really good games.