is this FRAUD?!?! Top 100 Grossing Raging Penguin

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by AdiosStudios, Jan 11, 2012.

1. AdiosStudios

AdiosStudios New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Hi guys,

I don't want to go against anyone on purpose but this particular developer "Top Free Games" seem bit too shady bringing bad name for all other developers.I wonder why nothing have been done for this.

What you say about this game: Racing Penguin, Flying Free.
    iTunes link:http://itunes.apple.com/app/id443637419

Hard to believe that this bad Tiny Wings clone deserves to be week after week among top 100 grossing games in US: http://www.appannie.com/racing-penguin-flying-free/ranking/history/

Gameplay is ok (Tiny Wings) but graphics are terrible and that already tells there must be something wrong if this game stays among top grossing games.

It's free game and game should be on the top grossing list with the in-apps. But I don't believe many (if any) would be buying the in-apps for this game on purpose. I worry this game is in top grossing list only because people are accidentally buying the in-apps for this game. In the game's iTunes reviews there are a lot reported issues that in-app-purchases happen without password confirmation.And the prices for the in-apps are ridiculous. Isn't this buying in-apps without password confirmation againt Apple's rules?

Seems that there are real critical customer comments in iTunes but these are hidden with 5 star comments that are all most likely bought comments.

Besides all the in-app issues, check out the location of the advertisement; right next to the "Reply" button so that every now and then people will surely click the advertisement by accident.

Same deleloper have also couple other similar games working with same method and doing pretty well as well, like Mouse Maze Free Game.

What do you think about all this?

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yes it does sound suspicious, we all know theres lots of 'shill reviews' in the app store so i think most people nowadays dismiss any review which is a simple one liner where its obvious its a shill review and look for more lengthy reviews by other people

BUT on the other side of the coin you could say you're a rival trying to give this game a bad name. 1 post and its whinging about this free game ? No other posts about the quality games in the app store or commenting on future releases, just one post attacking this game ?

If you had say 500 posts and posted this i might believe it a bit more but a complete newbie 1 poster says all this ? Just sounds a bit suspicious

3. AdiosStudios

AdiosStudios New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    #3 AdiosStudios, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    Yes, this was my first post here , so newbie. Still, please, take a look at that game. Dont judge me for making the first post, take a look at the game and tell me i'm wrong.

It's not only about if the developer is buying reviews for his game (many do that yes) but more importantly about the in-apps. Can it be so that these in-apps can be bought in some cases without password confirmation.

Or what is the reason for this particular game (bad game) being so high in the top grossing rankings. If you have some theory, i'd be happy to hear.

I'm not rival. I just started wondering how can this game be ranked as high as it is, and after reading those iTunes reviews about the shady in-apps I wondered what others think about this.

Even by just checking the menu screen of this game, you know it is not top 100 material.

4. AdiosStudios

AdiosStudios New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Racing Penguin, not raging :D

Racing Penguin, not raging :D

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I wouldn't say this is a fraud. I've seen many of my friends play it and it's popular simply, because it's a copy of an excellent game and it's free. People love free apps.

6. AdiosStudios

AdiosStudios New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Hi,

no denying the gameplay is fun, just like Tiny Wings. It's not the worst you can find from App Store. I also like free games same as everyone.

But App Store is full of copies of copies of Doodle Jump and Angry Birds and such. For this particular game, once you played it, do you really feel that it's in the place ranking where it belong? It's not the worst but come on... Is it REALLY so good that you buy on purpose in-app of 9.99 USD Super Penguin or 19.99 USD Kids Mode?

7. IAP happen without password confirmation? How could it be?

8. I think I'm more interested in the question:

What can we do if we find such suspicious cheating apps? How to give punishments?

9. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Developers ask you to sign it to their special site to save stats. Then use the password for that to sign into your itunes and buy the iAP. It has happened before. I use 2 different passwords one for itunes one for gaming.

10. I understand. You mean some users just use the same password for both iTunes account and in-game account, and the app just take the chance, right? Then I suppose it's definitely fraud.