My hope/prediction for gaming on the new Apple TV

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mrmajestic, Aug 31, 2015.

1. mrmajestic

mrmajestic Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2012
    #1 mrmajestic, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    So, we're hearing lots of rumors about the unveiling of a new Apple TV at the event next week. Below is how I think things are gonna play out, in order of most to least likely (although I of course hope they'll all be true).

- Games will be a massive part of the reveal. Tech blogs are describing the new remote control as having similarities with the wiimote. At least it's gonna work for tilt-controlled games, maybe also touch-controlled (if the rumored touch screen on the remote emulates the full tv screen and not just a cursor).

- There will be MFI controller support, and a number of the already existing AAA ports (FF7 etc) will be featured along with one or a couple of hitherto unannounced big ports. Maybe even a new IOS/Apple TV original IP title... like a new Infinity Blade?

- The Apple TV appstore will be closely connected to the IOs appstore, but not be entirely the same. For devs, getting an existing IOS app on the Apple TV will involve having to create a "TV touch" control scheme and optionally include MFI controller support. I'd say about the same level of coding effort as creating a today screen widget. Apple will not let any IOS app onto the Apple TV platform, there will likely be outreach to key players from their side as well as an registration form for anyone who wants to apply.

- Apps can henceforth be made "triple universal", meaning working for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV.

And those are my thoughts. I'm really excited for the new Apple TV, more so than for new iPhones/iPads. Probably not just in part due to the Apple TV 3 being my latest Apple hardware purchase :p

Anyone else with a similar hunch? Or something totally different?

2. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    I've always been excited about the prospect of Apple TV gaining the ability to play games (not just via AirPlay). But I'm really hoping that similarly to how iPad and iPhone games can be universal, that the term 'universal' will also include Apple TV - I do not want to buy games specific for Apple TV that can't be played on other devices.

Hope we find out shortly! :)

3. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    One rumour that's going on the web is Nintendo will partner with Apple. I don't see it happening myself but that would be a good move for both companies.

My own prediction is we will get better more fulfilling games on Apple TV. If people sit down in front of a TV to play games then mobile games will not cut it, especially F2P. We might actually see good quality premium games, party games like the ones on the Wii and Wii U consoles using pretty much the same controllers. If Apple TV games are universal then the iOS mobile will get a shot in the arm. All good for people wanting proper solid games on iOS.

4. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    #4 TheMerc, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    I'd absolutely looove that! I'll be completely honest here: after getting reacquainted with my home consoles during the summer, I've been slowly coming to grips with the fact that I'm not all that into what most of the mobile crowd goes crazy for, as the archetypical mobile game doesn't really do much for me anymore. However, I still get a kick out of playing great console ports on my iPhone, so if we could get more of those coming, I'd be extremely happy! That alone would make the Apple TV worth it!

5. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    So, does sound like apps will be universal across iPhone, iPad and Apple TV.... wonder how the scaling will look for apps not updated for tvOS, though.... Still, sounds pretty encouraging so far, I'm excited!

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Sigh... I was hoping for an actual touchscreen tv where i can lay it on a table and play strategy games, card games and board games like a boss.

7. number111

number111 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2015
    But in that way your hands will get tired fast, doesn't it

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Anyone can sit HOURS on a table while flipping, dealing and shuffling through cards while having the option to still be able to smoke, text, drink or eat... Hours... Sometimes even a dusk til dawn deal.

Having a tv screen as a table you can play on virtually wont b e much different.

Unless you were thinking about holding a friggin HDTV with your hands like a tablet which just sounds dumb. LOL