Universal The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (by Nicalis, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Luci0

Luci0 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2016
    Is it really as good as I hear? I'm not a fan of dual stick but love rogue like..
    Thanks

2. Sanderok

Sanderok Member

Oct 2, 2016
    Best game ever

3. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Is this game really over 500 hours worth of gameplay though? Or is that extras and stuff

4. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    "Don't like the $15 price tag, quit being so broke and murder with feces!", seems like a fitting response considering I have been sober 1 week.

5. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I am really impressed with this, I am finding controls pretty good and the game is fantastic.

6. tyrone

tyrone Member

Aug 21, 2010
    It runs 60fps all the time on iPhone 6 and above. It's a far better experience the the PS Vita version in terms of performance. Also, it's a universal binary so you can download on your iPad or iPhone and vice versa. We'll have an AppleTV version later that will also be part of the universal binary system.

7. Exile

Exile Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    student
    usa
    So how does it run? Does your phone get hot?

8. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Thanks for stopping by and giving us the info. Congratulations on the release.

9. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Great to hear.....now I don't have to mortage my house to buy it.

10. KennyW

KennyW Member

Dec 13, 2014
    I have 1121 hours in this game on Steam.It's a amazing indie game.You can try it out on PC first.

11. KennyW

KennyW Member

Dec 13, 2014
    I have 1121 hours in this game on Steam.It's a amazing indie game.You can try it out on PC first.

12. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Too anyone wondering about performance...

iPhone 6 here and it runs flawlessly so far. Average battery drain but my phone is not getting hot. Nothing as bad as don't starve. No crashes yet.

Controls are about as good as anyone can expect for touch controls. Even on my pc it's always been a little floaty. You adjust to it. Not saying it's bad by any means just stating that they are similar on both platforms.

Love that portrait mode is included but I think you need tiny hands for that.

You guys knocked it out of the park for this one. Also noticed that the intro was cut. Just wondering if that's what it took to get it approved by apple.

13. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Thank you, sir, for your work on this title. I knew absolutely nothing about BoI until it was previously rejected by Apple, as iOS has become my primary (and sole, for all intents and purposes) gaming platform. And this despite having an old PSP (for FF I-IX) and MacBook Pro (X-COM, FTL, Civ, Desktop Dungeons, and Crypt of the Necrodancer), though I admit to being a bit of a dilettante. In each case, with the exception of DD, the initial purchase was on iOS and the vast majority of time spent has been on iOS. The Steam purchases have been placeholders for the most part given the convenience of mobile gaming. My interest in gaming—long-dormant until iPhones came along—has been influenced strongly by the access afforded iOS users. My interest in BoI was similarly inspired but by one of the more undesirable aspects of the platform's limitations. Of course, that interest took on a fever pitch once news that BoI had been approved by Apple began to circulate. It became a bit of an obsession that has compelled me to (1) comb through Twitter feeds, subreddits, forums and the like for information regarding its release, and (2) spend a little time watching Let's Play videos on YouTube. Now it's my turn! Good luck with the release. I hope that your iOS reception and experience proves worth the wait and that you and your team will continue to support the title and platform going forward.

14. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

You go to options and turn the prologue on for it to show up !

15. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

Having never played before I don't understand the hype behind this game. Isn't it just a dual stick rogue like game?

16. Jenohart

Jenohart Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    Since you had the iOS 8 and 9 beta testing period, is it safe to assume that compatibility is coming in an update? If the game supported iOS 9 I would instantly buy it right now.

17. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Thank you for your post. I'm buying it now. Bought it on my Wii U but I never get the time to sit and play it. May not here, either, but consider me a counter argument to those who can't shut up about the price.

I've barely scratched the surface of the game, but there is a lot of depth here if you put in the time and effort. It's like an onion with all its layers, and I couldn't be happier that it finally made it.

This to the App Store is like what deadpool was to early year movies. Sometimes the universe doesn't give us garbage.

And again, Tyrone, the complaints are the vocal minority. If you've done right by this game on mobile, it will sell like gangbusters, as well it should. It's actually NICE to see premium games with equivalent price tags finding their way to the App Store. This is a game well worth it's price on all platforms IF you're into RPG roguelikes.

18. rhinofinger

rhinofinger Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Great to hear that the Apple TV version will be part of the universal binary too! Any idea when we can expect that?

19. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    #39 bossjaja, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Been playing for a while, it's definitely everything I was hoping for.

One thing I'd like to see is an alternate control scheme where you can just tap anywhere in the circle pad to move or shoot.

For example, right now, you have to touch the center of the pad, then drag it to do an action. This makes quick movements or shots hard, since you have to grab, then drag. If you could just tap the right side of the pad to immediately move right/shoot right, etc, that would make the game a lot easier to control. Basically, it's the same as playing on a gamepad.

20. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Amazing work on this, thank you. My only suggestion is that the virtual sticks feel a bit wonky, maybe its the abscence of a deadzone? Can't really pinpoint it, maybe the positioning? If customizable controls could be implemented at some point that would be incredible, thanks and congrats on the launch.