Why does every website waste so much space these days?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Scaramoosh, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    http://s23.postimg.org/6hdyx7odn/Untitled.jpg

I don't get why we all have 16:9/16:10 screens these days and yet every website just runs down the middle. It's so annoying just having a website as a strip in the middle :\ I see all these Modern HTML5 websites using the whole page, but so many sites like this one are still stuck in the 4:3 CRT Monitor era.

2. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    TouchArcade fills out the full width of the screen on my iPad. I don't know what browser you're using or on what device.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I think most web sites do it because browsing full screen on a huge monitor doesn't seem to be how most people use a computer. I mean, here's what TouchArcade looks like on my MacBook Air-

[​IMG]

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Any particular reason you don't whitelist us in adblock? We try really hard to have unobtrusive and lightweight ads. No crazy pop-ups or autoplay videos (or videos of any kind for that matter).

5. Oldgamer

Oldgamer Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    It's probably like me, nothing personal but I use Adblock on every site, I have no whitelist at all.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

You realize we work our asses off to make TouchArcade awesome and ask for literally nothing in return other than viewing unobtrusive, highly curated, relevant advertisements in exchange, right?

7. Oldgamer

Oldgamer Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    Yes, I realise that, I used to run a small gaming site, sorry no offence intended but I Adblock even my most favourite sites these days. That said, I do plan on chipping into your Patreon at the end of the month and throwing a few pounds your way, I hope that helps a little.