Cheap Screen Recording Software for Mac

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kamazar, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I've got a working demo of my game on my computer that I need to turn into a video. All the apps I've used either have low frame-rates, a time limit, or export to a useless format. Anybody have any paid ones (preferably $25 or less) that work well? I don't need any fancy features, just at least 10 minutes per recording, and a 24+ FPS frame rate.

2. Justinth

Justinth Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Try the trail of Camtasia Studios. If you like it, you should buy it :)
    It's my favorite. It goes pretty fast too.
    EDIT: Not that cheap, but the free trial is free.

3. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    Well, not exactly cheap since my budget consists of around $100 (not including the dev registration), but the trial version should take care of some of my needs. Thx ;)

Still open to recommendations.

Edit: It's... only Windows supported. Damn.

4. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

5. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

We've used iShowU, got the job done but sometimes we accidentally moved the simulator out of the capture rectangle, which was annoying.

Link.

6. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    Screenflow, while pricey, looks pretty darn good, really likin' the features. Maybe I'll use the funds I've been saving for a rainy day. iShowU's GUI, on the other hand, kinda turned me off. Yeah, I think I'll go with SF. Thx, guys.

7. ENERTRON

ENERTRON Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    i use snapz pro x for my LogicProTutorials youtube account

works great

8. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    Use iShowU. It's easy to use, cheap and even compresses the video on the fly. I've used it to capture my entire desktop for an hr before. The vid file was only 80mb w/ audio. Of course you'll only need it to record the idevice simulator.

Also think they offer a free trial version.

9. monteboyd

monteboyd Well-Known Member

Screenflick. I haven't used it but I have heard recommendations. And it is within your price range.

10. petes117

petes117 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    3D Animator
    Auckland, New Zealand
  11. I use iShowU as well, it is cheap and good.

Just be aware for the sound to work you need to start iShowU, then start the iPhone simulator.

12. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Another vote for Snapz Pro.

13. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Jing. It is free, but not the best quality.
    You could probably find a torrent for screenflow, which is the best screen recorder hands down, but it is really expensive on its own.

14. jaguard

jaguard Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Wow, really? I've been using demo version for a while, and I wasn't able to find "replace the mouse pointer" feature. Is it something only full version can do?
    It's a nice app, but I'm really missing the ability to replace cursor with my "finger" image.

15. 2n Productions

2n Productions Well-Known Member

ScreenFlow FTW.

The app can get a bit unstable, but for the most part does what it does well.

Check out the demo version and see for yourself.

Yas
    2n Productions

16. wooji

wooji Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    iPhone game developer!
    London, UK
    Another vote here for ScreenFlow. It's not cheap but you really do get what you pay for -- solid full-screen recording (no worries about falling out of the capture area), all sorts of pointer and "call out" effects, and a complete editing system.

It's paid off, too, as we used it to produce the Hexterity tutorial, capture animation for the Soundroid Rampage ad -- and we also use it a lot behind the scenes because we work with people in different places and ScreenFlow is a quick way to (for example) show prototype FX to artists or demonstrate how a particular UI or gameplay mechanism should work.

17. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    i just use iShowU free version

it's pretty good so I'll probably buy it one of these days.

18. mobileben

mobileben Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Zgrunturos and San Francisco
    We used ScreenFlow to do the capture, but then used Final Cut Express to edit.