iPad Battle for Wesnoth Episode 5: The Dark Hordes

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kyle Poole, Mar 30, 2010.

1. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    is that mean a japanese version will be coming soon?

2. EvilAnimePanda

EvilAnimePanda Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I just got the update. What are the UI improvements and how much are they? The thing that was setting me off was the slightly odd and kind of buggy controls.

3. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    No, there is not enough memory for the translations... Because of how it works, it needs both the original text as well as the translated text in memory. And that is just too much :(

4. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Here are some examples of the new GUI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    WOO HOO!

There goes another big chunk of my life playing this game. I honestly don't know how Kyle can give this away at 99 cents...I would use hyperbole to describe this deal but I think it's actually impossible to do so because it's such a literally ridiculous deal. Basically, if you're reading this and you haven't bought the game then stop reading and go get it immediately.

Thanks so much Kyle for all the work you've put into making this (I believe) the best game out there!

6. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

I'm on pinewood in the ooze campaign and let's say i thought we were going to see the painting... jk, but seriously it's really fun.

7. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    I'm loving the new map feature, it really helps to plan strategy.

This game coming to the iPad makes me really want an iPad! It's no exaggeration that this will be absolutely perfect for that device.

8. THFourteen

THFourteen Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    hey Kyle - not sure if this has been suggested already, or if its already in there, but when saving a game, it would be good if you could see a list of previously-saved games...

i like to save the game a lot, but i also like to save over the same slot each time, it can be a pain erasing the whole auto-generated name and typing the name you want for your save each time.

just a small thing :)

9. crazychimp

crazychimp Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Is there any chance you could add a button for acknowleding information popups. I have missed quite a lot of the storyline by taping the screen just as a popup appears.

Keep up the good work :)

10. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Yes! This is something I have asked about before...I have restarted scenarios just because of that before...and I'm often kind of gunshy about tapping the screen at all after finishing a turn as a result.

11. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    I thought about adding this, but then it might get rejected :p

I really liked the ooze campaign, it is a lot shorter than other campaigns, but you really want to play it again to see how things can turn out differently...

12. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

Darn, but you're probably right. How about for the 30g option? You could have it added for that. :)

The free gold paid off. And i'm guessing since "it" (master ooze) is his muse, he'll keep the painting.

13. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Oh noooooo! My iPod Touch went into the washing machine and is dead! :(

14. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

How? Why? When? Is it still under warranty? Mine as well get an iPad now.

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #35 Pitta, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    Another incredible update, thanks Kyle.
    I honestly cannot keep up with the all new content, but everytime I update Wesnoth it's just seems a whole another (awesome) game.

I URGE everyone on the fence to buy the game...at 0,99 it is really a steal.
    Well, I consider it a STEAL even at 9,99.

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Ouch!

Perfect excuse for the familiy to get an iPad :)

17. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    It sucks because as part of my optimization round and iPad development, I used a whole lot of OpenGL trickery to massively increase the framerate by as much as 3x. Yes, three times the framerate!! All the animations and unit movement would be super smooth just like the desktop version. I just had to do the final testing on the device.......... :eek:

18. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Hooray for the Ooze campaign! Definitely one of my favorites.

19. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    wait, 3x for the ipad version or the ipod one?

20. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009