The Official "I'm a Newbie" Thread! We want to learn!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by sambaylus, Jun 14, 2010.

1. sambaylus

sambaylus New Member

Oct 28, 2009
    I've been really wanting to make an iPhone/iPad game for quite some time now, but I've been finding it difficult to take off on my own. Not really looking for a team yet, but I would LOVE to chat with you all about it.

Like everyone else, I've got lots of ideas and a passion to quit my 9-to-5 to one day make a living being an independent developer!!

I've got basic OpenGL ES skills and would love to see what everyone's got to offer. Discussing all aspects of game loops, methods, game engines, tools, whatever! Regardless of skill, regardless of experience, let's start a study group!

Hit me back here on on iChat.
    "Sammers102" on AIM!

2. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    I'll tell you how I learned...

First off, I didn't make a thread asking for teachers.

Having basic OpenGL ES experience is a big step in the right direction for game development, so keep googling tutorials on how to do stuff with it that you want to accomplish in your game....that's really all you have to do until you become a seasoned developer. Good Luck!

TLDR: google.

3. Teleeda

Teleeda Active Member

Jan 11, 2010
    San Antonio, Tx
    There's a lot of info available out on the web

You should check Youtube. They have a lot of tutorials there. One that I found informative was by the Tornado Twins. Do a search around there. Plus web forums on the subject. Hope this helps.

4. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    The best advice I can give you is that successfully publishing to the app store takes a lot more than technical knowledge and great ideas. You need to figure out where all of your resources are coming from -- great art, music, and sound effects. You most likely need to figure out where some initial funding is coming from, because finding a group of volunteers that are like-minded, honest, and reliable is hard. You also need to figure out some kind of marketing plan. If you are going to publish your own game, you need a good way to get the word out about it. If you want someone else to publish your game, you had better make sure it's on par with the other games they've published, and that you come to a fair arrangement with that company. I have worked with several clients who have gone about halfway through the development process before they realized that they had no idea what to do with the completed game. Don't let it happen to you! ;)

5. sambaylus

sambaylus New Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Well...

Well these are all great responses with great suggestions on here, but I may not have made my intentions clear with this topic.

I've been developing for a year or so, and every once in awhile I'll come across a great snippet or a great resource or idea and think to myself: "WOW! I wish I had known about this sooner!" This topic is for that kind of discussion, given insight by newbies, seasoned developers, or whoever. Sure there're lots of resources you can access from Google, but I'd like to hear some one-to-one discussions.

I'll make sure my next post is contributing to the cause!

-Sam
    (PS If we were to link to outside resources or tutorials, is that violating the rules by "promoting" other sites?).

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I'm not a developer, but from a gamer and consumer perspective, I'd say that the number one problem with apps these days is:

1) lack of follow through. this is BY FAR the biggest issue. There are so many games that could have been better if the devs had just stayed with it and kept adding more and more and making it better with their audience's feedback.
    2) a lack of creativity, and similarly, a lack of innovation.
    3) lack of consideration of the target audience. Today, I played a shooter/RPG kind of game where you have to swipe to move, and awkwardly tap to attack. The Dev added in thumbstick controls...but you still have to stand still to attack enemies. It was pretty awful, and it showed me that they probably didn't even play the game themselves to see if it was any fun...which kind of goes back to 1.

These things really aren't hard. It's just a matter of dedication and consideration.

Also, if you need a writer...PM me some time :D