iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    All right but what about controls? Do you control yourself with those arrows? How satisfying are they?

2. Gummybear

Gummybear Member

Dec 11, 2008
    You can swipe forward/backward and do sidesteps - haven't been able to swip for a turn left/right ... am I missing something or is this missing in the swipe controls.

But it's easy to control - I love it. :)

3. stanny

stanny Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    $5.99 is too much. If they released it at something like $2.99 it would have shot up and made the top charts and made a killing.

4. idespair

idespair Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Given that it was originally released for $19.99 on PDAs, $5.99 hardly seems unfair. As I paid the former a couple of years ago, I'm more than happy to buy it again at the latter price just to play on my iPhone.

5. stanny

stanny Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    As you know, the Itunes app store doesn't work like that. $19.99 may work somewhere else but not here. What works here is low price points which will give you big volume of sales. You gotta make the top 100 list to make your app visible and thats by selling more and then you'll make a killing.

6. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Well I nearly did [insert 'The Lonely Island' song title here] when i first saw screenshots of this game. I'm definitely gonna get this later on, just waiting if Zen Bound still comes today.

7. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I wish the Devs would learn to release demos before or at the same time as the actual game. Particularly for the stuff that costs a bit more, like in this case. This sounds like something right up my alley (an old TES fan here), but I really can't justify buying it sight unseen.

8. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    If they tried to release the demo at the same time, it might postpone the actual game for those who know they want to buy it.

9. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    "Graphically stunning" haha good one, made me rofl!
    Na serious is this any good? Looks like Daggerfall and Daggerfall was awesome.

10. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Looks and plays very good on iPhone, if you as me. If you'd play the PC version, it'd look like crap. Somehow it matters less when displayed on a small screen.

The game looks like it got plenty of polish for the iPhone. I haven't played much yet, but this game seems like a must-have for any serious RPG fan.

11. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    And how many do? Then, when they'll finally release a demo, they'd need to cut price to attract attention of general public. Whereas, if they had provided demo from the start, many people who are on the fence or don't visit gaming forums may have liked it and bought the game. All IMHO, of course.

12. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I played the Pocket PC version. You do pick your stats when you level up. You get several points to assign to your characteristics (like strength, intelligence, dexterity, etc) and several points to assign to your skills (like light weapons, alchemy, lockpicking, mind magic, etc) each time you gain a level.

The number of points that each skill requires depends on your class or, if you create a custom class, whether you selected that skill as one of your major ones.

And a skill is capped at 2x its base characteristic. So your light weapon skill, for example, would be capped at 30 if your dexterity were 15.

13. troutdog

troutdog Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I just took the plunge...I am a huge RPG fan, and have been looking for the fix. Arvale is fun, but isn't quite cutting it. I'll let everyone know my thoughts in a bit.

Also, longtime lurker, first-time poster here; Hello everyone!

14. BadYeti

Jan 29, 2009
    You can download a PC demo of the game from this link if you just want to get a feel for the game. Other than the slightly adjusted control scheme (with touch swipes and such) it's the same game.

15. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Hey!

I too am a huge RPG fan and found Arvale didn't quite do it for me, so I have high hopes for this game. It sits installed on my phone, and I sit here at work, looking at my phone wishing I could play it :)

16. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Does anyone think it will go down in price? Because if I spend $5 now and it goes down to $2 in a couple of weeks I'll be pissed :p

17. BadYeti

Jan 29, 2009
    I don't think that's a universal rule.

There are some games that have the potential to appeal to a broad range of casual gamers. Pricing to make it onto the first page of the top paid games list would be a good strategy for them.

But a game like this? This is a title that will be hugely appealing to old-school RPG gamers, and not much of anyone else. People who loved games like Wizardry, Bard's Tale, Might and Magic, Daggerfall and Eye of the Beholder back in the day will jump all over this title. It's the only game like it on iTunes, other than the horrendous Sorcerer Light.

And no amount of low pricing is going to suddenly convince casual Bejeweled and iShoot gamers to get excited about spending months on a game with dated sprite-based graphics, building up their stats, gathering herbs for their alchemy, and enchanting their armor sets for various purposes. An old-school, Daggerfallish RPG is never going to make it to the top of the charts no matter the price.

18. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Can anyone comment if there are any big changes from the PC demo?
    (ex. speed of the game, load times, etc...)

19. troutdog

troutdog Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Haha, I know the feeling...but that's why sometimes my bathroom breaks take a liiiiittle longer than normal. :eek:

20. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Watch out, you might become known around the office as that guy with... issues. :D