Real Racing 3 - By Firemonkeys - Coming Feb 2013

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by killercow, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #561 Rip73, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    So the EMlbourne track - is it Albert Park ala F1 spec?

3. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #563 Rip73, Jan 16, 2013
    I would guess that would apply to all the tracks.
    In that they are using the modern ones from whatever series (F1, Kart, Sports, Indy, Nascar, etc.) is predominantly associated with the track.
    I'm sure that will become clearer at launch.

On another note, the in game footage looks absolutely fantastic. It's hard to believe how good it looks.
    Why is it not the end of February already.

Edit. Was referring to Nurburgring originally. The Melbourne track mentioned in the diary is essentially real roads in Melbourne that they imagined into a race track for the game by themselves, not the F1 Albert Park track (whether that's in it as well, I don't know).

4. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    I just pissed myself.

5. OutSpoken

OutSpoken Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    sorry to cc this gif again, but it had me lmao...:)

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    If they add real physics like NFS had, I will be all over this at release.

7. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Have they said anything regarding physics?

Lol

8. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Let's hope there's ragdoll physics in here then ;) :p

9. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    #569 GR3NADE, Jan 16, 2013
    Wait.. which NFS???

Also "If they add real physics" - did you play Real Racing 2?

Killjoy: Yes, something about cars will not be as glued to track as they was in RR2 and you should go the same speed through curve as on real track.. find those answers yourself if you're interested.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Have you played RR2 and NFS? There's an astounding difference in the handling of the cars, NFS feels much more realistic and the cars actually seem to have weight and heft to them; they all handle differently. RR2 and Asphalt 7 feel just weird in comparison, Solidfart was actually on to something when he was complaining about the physics in RR2. For a "simulation" or "real" racing, there are no real physics and the cars feel pretty much the same except for acceleration, traction and speed.

11. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Dear Mr. JBRUU, NFS MW was released 2 years (yes, 2 freaking years which is equivalent to some 48 months) after RR2. In those two years, the computational processing power of mobile devices have exponentially increased. To make a comparison between both games is folly.

Next, aren't cars supposed to feel different for "acceleration, traction and speed"? What other criteria are they supposed to feel different on? As long as you're not a crash-happy pansy, the physics in RR2 are really good. Collision physics is off, but braking, turning and accelerating all feels fine to me. And I am a diehard racing sim fan.

12. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Looking at the demo some time back, I thought RR3 had worse driving physics than RR2. Funnily, I thought cars in RR3 were glued to the tack more than in RR2!

13. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Need for speed most wanted.

Catch up.

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #574 JBRUU, Jan 16, 2013
    Dear Mr. Leonard,
    Please don't be condescending. My post was pertinent and cordial. For the record, 2 years is actually 24 months.

Now if you want to talk about hardware and the capability to run physics calculations, feel free. But I think you forgot the fact that physics calculations are handled by the CPU, and moreover simple racing physics are absolutely no problem for the A4 chipset, much less Havok physics in MC4. Case in point: the iPod 4 (A4) has the same physics simulation running in NFS: Most Wanted as the iPad 4 (A6X). Hardware is absolutely not the problem here for realistic car physics.

About RR2's physics...I find them nothing more than serviceable. You cannot flip your car, you cannot realistically drift, skidding is waayy off, certain cars have far too much traction and others are total crap, there is no sense of weight. It's like comparing Asphalt 7 with NFS, there is just a world's difference in the physics. One feels very floaty, close to the ground and weird while the other feels natural and allows for some really dynamic racing.

15. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Fair point raised in your first paragraph. I don't agree with your second. I really thought the physics in RR2 were good. Sim racing is very different from arcade - dynamism is non-requisite. I don't crash, I DON'T skid, I don't drift....so all that isn't pertinent to me. As far as I am concerned, the braking, acceleration and cornering was spot on and that's more than enough!

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Well, guess we'll just have to wait and see what Firemonkeys does. I'm not asking for arcadey physics, but just better ones than in RR2, that's all. Just always thought they were a bit off.

17. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Dear Mr Leotard.

Most Wanted did not release 2 years ago.

Either of them.

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    No he said two years after.

19. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Oh. Yes. I see.

Well then.

20. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    HA! That made me laugh.

With regards to the physics: this new game needs suspension and lateral movement while under g's. Taking a Jetta around a corner at 80mph has a different feel to it than a Lotus would around the same corner at the same speed. I felt RR2 was an amazing game, especially considering what was available at the time with regards to competition in the marketplace, but to take it to the next level, the physics definitely need to be addressed. The only difference between the entry and mid level vehicles and the top of the line sports cars is the speed. Handling, cornering, etc were similar across all cars, only showing differences when the high end cars reached their speed thresholds. Suspension is everything in a racing game touting realistic physics, and it was severely lacking in RR2.