trailer colors suck

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by smuttlegiaco, Feb 9, 2011.

1. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    hi all,

we're close to announcing our game and currently work on our trailer. we use the simulator, iShowU and Imovie.

our problem is the following: when we export our video (we tried all compression methods) the colors become dull. we tried to correct the colors with colorsync and manual color correction, but i'm not satisfied with the result. it's still ugly. if anyone could share some tipps and tricks of how we can maintain screen quality, i would be eternally grateful.

thanks!

2. PocketMonkey

PocketMonkey Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Unfortunately, it is an iMovie problem. It compresses too much which loses the color and saturation.

3. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

Try ScreenFlow. That's what we use. Great piece of software.

4. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    thanks ArtCoder.
    looks very promising.

5. omarmaris

omarmaris Member

Jan 16, 2011

Use Final Cut Studio for trailers. It is useful I think.

6. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    well omarmaris, it surely is a good product, but 1000€ is to much at the moment. thanks nevertheless.

7. RodeoBenjamin

RodeoBenjamin Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Male
    Creative Director at Perchang Games
    Guildford
    When do we get to see your trailer efforts? I've just gone through a similar process for our debut title which we're announcing next week.

8. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #8 smuttlegiaco, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    we plan on releasing the trailer next friday. well, that's the plan at least. :)

we abandoned imovie (because of the colors) and the simulator (because of the framerate). first we thought about adding support for the vga port of the ipad to our game (so we can bring the screen on a big lcd tv and either film or record it), but that proved to be to time consuming. so today i decided to figure out how to capture the screen of our game with other means and the results look very promising.

i will post here again once we finished the trailer so you can have a look at it.