Best Dungeon Crawlers?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by steviebwoy, May 11, 2011.

1. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Hi all, I absolutely love playing both Desktop Dungeons and The Enchanted Cave on my PC, but I can't seem to find anything remotely as engaging on the iPhone thus far. I've so far downloaded 100 Rogues and Fargoal but I can't really get into either in the same way as the PC games.

Are there any other worthy dungeon crawlers that I've overlooked?

2. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    well at the moment im loving 'a weird rpg' its really good imo stort and sweet games are brilliant and don't be put of by the limited turns thing it actually makes it a lot more engaging ;)

3. hbernritter

hbernritter Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Inventory/Marketing Manager
    Toledo, OH
    I really like 100 rogues, but didn't dig fargoal at first but now I am loving it. Another one I am really liking is Legends of Yore and it is free. You can create an account and play cross saves with the pc version.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Cavern was a really great roguelike...i think it's not on the appstore anymore though. :(

Maybe RogueTouch, or Powdeer if you are a more hardcore rogue player. There's also Undercroft, which is not a roguelike, but which has a lot of classic golder-box style dungeon crawling. Maybe Solomon's Keep?

edit: I totally forgot Dungeons & Such!

5. Mivo

Mivo Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    Germany
    The Sword of Fargoal takes a bit to get into, but then becomes rather addictive. Fargoal 2.0 is also in the works and should be released "before summer", though the programmer had preciously mentioned April and May, so this is pretty much a "when it's done" candidate. There will be additional classes and such, and it will be an universal app.

100 Rogues was the very first game I bought when I picked up an iPad. Still one of my favourites. :)

Of course, there's always Nethack! Both an iPhone version and an iPad-only HD version. Free.

6. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Undercroft, definitely. Not exactly a dungeon crawler, but The Quest is great too, if you don't mind the terrible graphics.

7. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Agreed! Nethack is the mother of them all IMO. Note however for the iPhone there are 2 implementations of Nethack, both are free but only one is actually playable, Dirk Zimmermann's iNethack (aka Nethack HD for the iPad).

8. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    8 bit treasures
    The Dungeon
    RogueTouch
    League of Epic Heroes (pulled)
    Enchanted Cave
    Pitman

As well as all previously mentioned.

9. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    Sword of Fargoal.
    Sword of Fargoal Legends.
    Rogue Touch.
    Powder.
    100 Rogues.
    Cavern.
    iNethack.
    The Dungeon.
    Isle of 8bit Treasures.
    Mysterious Land.
    Abyss Quest.
    DungeonMoto.
    League of Epic Heroes.
    Nethack.
    Slash'Em.
    Rogue.
    Mazugs.
    Deep Deep Dungeon.
    Forget.Me.Not.
    Pitman.
    Legends Of Yore.

Some of these are not available anymore though.

Rixx

10. half-bit

half-bit Active Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Software Developer
    http://www.halfbitsoftware.com
    Rad! Always nice to hear that people still like The Dungeon! :)

11. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    i love the dungeon, i like all of the different characters.
    any game that lets you be Indiana Jones is a Great game!!

12. Rumblecat

Rumblecat Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Thailand
    Recently I've been sinking a hell of a lot of time into Powder. It's brilliant. Didn't click with it at first, until I played through the tutorial properly and got to grips with the complexities of the game.

It's free but you have to pay if you want to go below level 15. The twist being that it's fairly likely you'll never see level 15- I've been playing for weeks now and haven't got there yet (although I do tend to linger around dungeons rather than bomb down). I'm also playing Powder on the DS and my Mac, both for full versions, both free. Ended up paying for the full version on the iPhone anyway, as I felt I'd got more than my money's worth of fun out of it so far.

Last death was a classic. Some creature tried to turn me to stone. I had about four moves before I died and ended up as an ornament in the dungeon. Luckily my God stepped in, took pity on me, and cured me. (You have the option as the game progresses to align yourself with different Gods who have play styles they like or dislike...). Only for a few turns later a rival God tried to teach me humility and turned me into a mouse. Which is when some bug bit me and ended my life.

There's a great review of the DS version here- http://gamecola.net/2010/03/powder-ds/ - which I think sums up what makes Powder such an enjoyable experience.

One of the nice things about it is that a number of the creatures aren't hostile- you can swap places with them as you go by, rather than attacking them if you choose.

I remember not liking the interface when it first came onto the app store- not sure if an update fixed the issues I had with it- but it's really nicely designed and intuitive to control.

[​IMG]

Rogue Touch is worth a look as well. It's got quite a bit of depth to it too. I liked Fargoal a lot but never got on with 100 Rogues- it seemed a bit unbalanced, tended to die from the game spamming enemies at me, rather than by tactical errors.

13. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Awesome, thanks guys. I've so far downloaded iNetHack, A Weird RPG, and Powder to try. I had a few of the others mentioned already but didn't get on with them for various reasons. Really gutted I missed out on Epic Heroes, as that looked exactly what I wanted - ie. Desktop Dungeons on my iPhone! :)

14. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    cool a weird rpg has a unique flavour to it it not for everyone but its good if you have five minutes