to be honest, I really hate the retina screen of Ipad

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klarence, Nov 15, 2012.

1. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    after new ipad (3rd gen) debuted, a lot of games and apps need more space,even more than double. it's such a waste of space.
    and I can't feel the difference between retina and non retina ipad screen after I tried ipad 4 at local bestbuy.
    I got my ipod touch 5th and I found that it's actually faster than my ipad 2 even it's hardware is slightly weaker than ipad 2.
    and it remind of ipad 1 is the same hardware with iphone 4 but has a pretty poor performance compared to iphone 4.
    the big resolution is a burden. now I can assume that the iphone 5 has a better performance than ipad 4.

2. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    The iPad 4 actually has better performance according to geekbench tests.

3. jtfields

jtfields Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    The 5th gen iPod touch has a faster processor than the iPad 2.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I can see how retina isn't really a big deal for some people, but for folks like me who have extremely poor eyesight...it's miraculous. Especially if you do a lot of web browsing, reading, etc., on your iDevice.

And then there are those gamers who just really enjoy pretty graphics.

The appstore is overdue for better compression protocols, and iDevices are starting to need much more storage, though. That's for sure.

5. I love ipad retina but I agree with you on disk space cause some ipad retina games are 4 times bigger. I need a 64 gb new ipad, wish the ipad 4 had 128 gb but it doesnt.

So yeah, love ipad retina but you pay by disk space.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Guilty. Retina games take priority, but I'll still play the others. The size issue doesn't bother me as I've been strict on how many games I keep on my iPad at any one time. No more than three folders. If I want a new game, an older one has to go.

Obviously it's more of a concern to users without retina iPads as the extra assets aren't even being used at all, but they also moan when an app isn't universal so... time to make your minds up, people.

7. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    are you sure it's not a psychological gimmick? I can't tell retina or not when my eyes keep about 30 to 40+ cm distance from the screen (maybe I can if I stare at it, but why), and for what reason to keep the ipad so near to one's face?

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Positive. I can usually tell within seconds of starting the app. It's more common for games to have a mixture of high and low res assets though (everything by Rovio), but still very obvious which is which.

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    For me, it's nice to have retina for games, but not a must. But boy...I love retina for web surfing and when reading text or ebooks.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm not bothered by retina graphics, as others have said it just bloats the filesize up which is a pain. On a small device like an ipod touch which i use mostly for gaming i dont think i could really appreciate if its retina or not

Also being someone who played a lot of games in the 80's i'm quite used to blocky/blurry graphics.

People seem to expect everything from an app now or they wont buy it ! Seen too many posts of 'no gamecentre = no sale !' and the same for retina

11. MJFox

MJFox Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Vienna, Austria
    are you serious? I since I bought an iPad3 I can't look at non-retina games anymore without getting eye-cancer :(

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's nothing new for me. When I play PC games I expect them to support my monitor resolution and if they don't, I expect the option of windowed mode. If I buy a Blu-ray I expect high definition with 1080 horizontal lines. If I buy a painting, I expect it to fit the frame. It's really got less to do with the graphics themselves and more to do with presenting them properly. Blurriness is horrible and generally isn't how the product was designed to be viewed.

13. jtfields

jtfields Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    The difference is you're not paying just $0.99 for any of that other stuff. People expect a lot in the iOS world relative to how much they spend. You can't expect a dev to go back and update an app for retina when they are losing money on it.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree, for many of my 99c games i'm not expecting updates forever to support the latest devices. I hope to get my new ipod touch today and i'm sure there'll be a few issues with some old apps i might have which will never get updated. Shame but i cant expect a dev to re-do some old app which is losing money anyway as you say.

With a 30-40 dollar PC/console game i would expect a lot of fixes, for some tiny 69p game which might be now free i'm not expecting miracles with amends.

15. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    it feels so good that chop chop caveman got update a few days ago.
    the developer is generous, the game only has 20k user in game center.
    it's such a good and innovative game which only be priced 1 dollar. it has a so tiny sales volume but they still update the game.

16. I love ipad retina!