Wire Hang Redux - climb high into the sky with your grappling hook!

Discussion in 'Mac App Store Games' started by gingerbeardman, Dec 8, 2011.

1. gingerbeardman

gingerbeardman Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Male
    Former Apple Technology Evangelist
    #TeamGB
    #1 gingerbeardman, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    A new version of my Wire Hang Redux game is now live on the Mac App Store.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wire-hang-redux/id485354734?mt=12

[​IMG]

The concept:
    • Climb up the platforms, using your grappling hook.
    • Do not fall off the bottom.
    • Beat your own high score.

Hints:
    • Pay close attention to your aiming arrow.
    • Use the sides of the screen.
    • Use small jumps to slow down.

History
    For those that don't know the history of the game, it was originally a Java game from 1998 by a Japanese guy, Masaki Kobayashi. I learned of the game in 2004 and did a PC/Mac(non-Intel) version with Masaki's blessing (that you can still download it at my site). It proved to be very popular, being featured in magazines (remember those?) in Japan, Germany, Sweden, Czech Republic, USA and UK. The original Java version is also on the web here. Perhaps some of you will remember it?

Over 6 years later...
    Since then I've had some changes on my todo list. Finally I got round to them! One of the major issues people had with my original version was that the mouse cursor is confusing, and that the aiming radar was too separate from the action meaning the game was trickier than it needed to be during play. These were valid concerns that also hampered the original Java version. Have a play of the original or my old version and you'll see what I mean.

So, I've done a new version of the game, again with Masaki's blessing. I've made it easier to "pick up" with a new unified control scheme. I've also given it a graphical overhaul, rewarding the players progress with graphical changes. If you manage to get to the top there's an extra special reward, too! I've changed the default game mode to a simple distance, just like Canabalt.

I'll be adding the original "points" mode, as well as a couple of other modes, over the coming months. Meanwhile, work continues on the iOS version. :)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
    matt

http://www.wirehang.com

--

Finally, here are some screen grabs of the new version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gingerbeardman

Aug 10, 2009
    Male
    #TeamGB
    Here are four promo codes. I'd appreciate a reply in this thread if you use one of them. Have fun!

7WW46XTRX66J
    P6HWLLAWEKJX
    46WJ66MAFM6J
    KE96XLMHXXYE

3. gingerbeardman

Aug 10, 2009
    Male
    #TeamGB
    Here are 4 more promo codes.

FXXYTWXE9W4F