Basketball Stars by Miniclip

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Benjo, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Hello TouchArcade! I'm very pleased to announce that our new game, Basketball Stars, is now soft-launched on iOS and Android!

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/basketball-stars/id976173170?mt=8

You can grab it from the New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Italy, Portugal and Ireland App Stores.

It's a real-time multiplayer basketball game with two different game modes. Attacker-Defender pits you in a 1-on-1 battle against your opponent, where you have to dodge and fake to create space for a shot if you're on offence. Make the shot and you keep the ball.

If you're playing defence, you'll need to mirror your opponent's moves carefully, don't fall for their fakes, and either swipe to steal the ball or leap up to make the block. If you stop the attacker scoring, you take over on offence.

There's also the Shooting Race mode (race the clock to outscore your opponent), plus tons of different courts to play on and hundreds of unique items with which to customise your character.

Check it out and see what you think - we'd love to hear any feedback!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    #2 fabianb, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Oooohhh sweeeeeet! Downloading now <3

Edit: wow this game is pure fun, especially the attacker-defender game mode. Love it.

One bug though: When I try to login with facebook, i give it permission, but then it says it cannot open the page. Then the game says login failed. I haven't had this problem with other Miniclip games.

3. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Some bugs or annoyances:

- You can't jump quickly after the first jump, making fake shooting extremely effective, a bit too much for my taste.

- One time the opponent was still in the middle and blocked my shot, even though I was shooting from the right.

4. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Could you please try uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

5. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    I bet I'm losing my progress then, right? As I'm level 7 already.

6. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    That would lose your progress, yes. Alternatively, try force-closing the app and then connecting to Facebook when you re-open it. If that still doesn't help, could you tell me what device you're using please?

7. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    I'm using an iPhone 5s.

8. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Ok thanks fabianb, we'll try and reproduce the problem :)

9. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    #9 fabianb, Feb 10, 2016
    Alright, I reinstalled but I still have the same problem. I already gave the game permission, but after that I get a popup message that Safari can't open the page because the adress is uncorrect.

Edit: Fixed it. It was due to my jailbreak, I just reinstalled some things after I found out that the jailbreak was the cause of this issue (via google).
    So I can't blame you. The only reason I use jailbreak is F.Lux which is an absolute must have for me, shame Apple doesn't install it in iOS.

10. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    #10 fabianb, Feb 10, 2016
    What does the 'Time' mean as stats of a ball? How much time you have to shoot?

Edit: 99.500 money :O I'm going well :)

Attached Files:

11. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    #11 fabianb, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Connectivity issues are sort of game breaking for me. I played on stable wifi at home:

- Lag ingame with some opponents. They suddenly block shots out of nowhere, or I block a shot but it still counts and the opponent keeps shooting.

- Opponent force closes, then my game just keeps waiting with no end. The only option is to quit but then my money is gone.

- Opponent leaves in pre-match screen, I lost my money again.

Not so fun.

Tip: Set a max time limit for the following messages:
    - waiting for opponent
    - stabalizing opponents connection
    Both of them are very annoying, and most of the time the game just hangs for minutes at those messages. So set a max time limit for 8 seconds, if the opponent isn't reconnected after 8 seconds, the other player wins.

12. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Nice start to your Basketball Stars career there ;)

The "time" stat on the ball affects how long you stay "on fire" in Shooting Race when you're on a hot streak, and also how long you have to take your shot in Attacker-Defender.

Thanks for reporting those other issues, we'll look into them. If anyone else is experiencing similar things, it would be great to hear it.

13. WakenBake

WakenBake Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    So i downloaded this near instantly. I'm a level 15 with nearly 500k gold. All f2p. I love this game.

Like the other user said sometimes in attack/defend mode I feel like the person is cheating. They will shoot and I block it. It says I blocked it then gives them the points and the ball back. The main reason I feel it's cheating is that I played the same guy twice in a row and it happened both times a lot.

Other then that I don't have too many issues. Keep up the great work and make me another laker ball that won't take me all week to earn haha.

14. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    The countdown sound of 3,2,1 is a bit high compared to other sounds/music in the game.

15. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
  16. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    We just released an updated soft-launch version with a couple of new features, including two new tiers (College Campus and Central Park), plus leaderboards. You should be able to get it from the App Store now :)

17. obiray

obiray Member

Mar 13, 2016
    im so glad i found this forum. i was searching for a while.

The update is good! i had so many problems before where the game would freeze when loading. either before the game started or after the game finished (i still didnt receive my money for wins). this doesnt happen anymore.

BUT they have to get rid of the lucky balls... like they are so terrible. how can you have a game of skill and leaderboards with something like that? Number 1 in the world could lose to number 100 because he might get 3-4 lucky balls in 1 game while hes on fire.

so my suggestion - remove lucky balls but add more backboard bonuses with different points (maybe a +6) at least theres skill involved in hitting the backboard and will pressure the player to hit the backboard ASAP before the other player gets it.

this will make the game truly competitive and skill based.

IF they dont want to get rid of lucky balls then make them consistent for both players. change the name of them to 'Bonus balls' and players can receive 1 every 10 shots. because another problem with lucky balls is that even if both players get 3 of them, someone might still get a 1 or 2 when they are on fire and the other player doesnt.

had this on my mind for a while now :) i dont how to contact miniclip about this.

P.S

hoping for a bigger forum to chat with players and stuff about the game.

thanks,
    obi

18. ZahirSher

ZahirSher Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2014
    Student
    Albania
  19. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Hey Obi, thanks a lot for the feedback! Firstly, it's great to hear that the update fixed the connection issues you were experiencing.

With regards to the lucky balls - these are random, and we did want to add something into the mix to avoid a situation where you have two perfectly-matched players playing an identical game. Nonetheless I shared your feedback about the backboard bonus with our developers and this may be something we add into a future update. Thanks again!

20. obiray

obiray Member

Mar 13, 2016

Awesome. really good to hear.

Some days i rage and tell myself im never playing again until they get rid of lucky balls lol. Its just too unbalanced, some games i am easily winning by 10 points until the opponent gets lucky balls and i lose, and sometimes im in that position and think 'it sucks to be that guy.' when i beat him.

also with the backboard suggestion, ive noticed even the best players in the game dont hit the backboard straight away. its almost like they are too scared to take the shot or they wait until they are on fire for x2 or they wait until they are in front because its easier. If you can make the incentive high enough to shoot straight away, it will be a big game changer.

Oh how about Lucky backboards?! make the backboard a lucky x2 and whoever hits it first gets the points. so remove the lucky balls and change it to a lucky backboard where both players have an equal opportunity to get it but its a matter of skill and speed to determine who gets it. (literally just thought of this while i was typing)