Games You Wish Had Become a Phenomenon

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by crex, Sep 17, 2011.

1. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    So we all know how Angry Birds has went from a simple iPhone game to a global phenomenon. So I ask you, Which game do you wish had become a major success as well? And by major success, I mean t-shirts, movie rumors, tv shows, commercials etc.

Here's my list:

MovieCat!
    - Imagine a dark blue shirt with the unmistakable yellow cat on the front of it. I dare you to tell me you wouldn't instabuy that!

Monster Dash/ Age of Zombies - If Barry Steakfries was in a movie with exploding zombie heads and chainsaws, you can count me in. This is the one(ok 2) games that I really wish would be a global phenomenon. Barry is the PERFECT game character for all types of merchandise as well as movies and tv. Here's to hoping that Jetpack Joyride becomes the talk of the town! You can do it Barry!

2. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I agree with you on the Barry Streakfries (Monster Dash/Age of Zombies) idea! That'd be perfect. I also think that Plants vs. Zombies would be a good idea as well. :) The idea of zombies getting across your lawn to get into your house and eat your brains is awesome!

3. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Gesundheit- The premise is gross but not gratuitously so, and the pig is FREAKIN' ADORABLE. The art and sound is so instantly appealing, and the game also gets better each time I play! :)

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    #4 LOLavi, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
    Edit: sorry misunderstood the thread :p

Well I think Punch a Hole is really a clever puzzle! I really can't agree with TouchArcade's rating of 3.5... It deserves at least 4.5 because you need to use your brains a lot to actually get 3 stars! It's no lucky game unlike AB.

2nd one is jAggy Race. All who played it, loved it. I don't know why it didn't take off, but seriously, it's got GOTY material.

3rd one is Hypership Out of Control! I know it just came out and it could take off, but it hasn't... It's really addicting and instead of either slowly moving or staying still the space shooter is really fast-paced and you'll have to dodge big meteors and shoot small obstacles. Man hardcore mode is really awesome! It's sooooo addicting :)

4th one is First Touch Soccer. I think it's better than FIFA 11 no matter what others say. It deserves a higher position than FIFA, yet it doesn't get one...

My last one is The Last Rocket. It's got a perfect gameplay for iOS has amazing 8-bit graphics and chiptunes, but I have no idea why it hasn't taken off! I think it's similar to Cut the Rope, but waaaaaay different! It got high reviews from many sites and still it never got that high...

I suggest all of those games to everyone! Please at least look at one of them :)

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I can't think of anything to add to the list, really...

Interestingly enough, if Angry Birds wasn't as insanely popular as it has become, I would never nominate it in a thread like this one...

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    While the games you listed are good, and worth playing, that wasn't quite what Crex was looking for. This thread isn't just about games you'd recommend, but ones that you think could/should have become a phenomenon that extended all the way into merchandising: toys, T-shirts, TV shows, etc.

I can't see "Punch a Hole" plush toys or T-shirts, honestly. ^_-

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oh you mean in merchandise way! Yh Barry would work well as that... I thought he meant success in App Store.

8. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    In pretty sure he meant success in the AppStore and then all the way to the game bring discussed in 10 different forums and rumors about Sequels spreading.

Etc, essentially a whole community revolving around the game.

Like diablo II, some 10 years later hundreds of thousands of people still play it and discuss strategies.

9. DregsOnLegs

DregsOnLegs Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Secretary
    City
    #9 DregsOnLegs, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
    Puddle puzzles

Joining hands

Both amazing puzzlers...but.each to their own I guess.

Also ice cream mania, but not as much as the first two, since there's already a few similar titles

Also Vikings slice, aside from the fsctnit was a clone of nitromes ice breaker

Oh I thought this was about games that should have been more recognized.

Still, I'd love to see some puddle toys and joining hands character toys..their cute as

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Well tbh I wanted Soosiz to become that sort of game. Cause with the adorable characters you could have plushies and the game could work easily on many different platforms!

11. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Crex was asking specifically for games you think would be interesting to have become recognised worldwide, and not just by gamers. Angry Birds, for example, is well-known outside the gaming community, with toys, shirts, and even a proposed movie.

Using your example in this situation, Diablo II isn't anywhere near the global phenomenon Angry Birds is; it's a good game, but it's still not something non-gamers really recognise. As far as PC/Mac games go, however, World of Warcraft would fit the bill, with its merchandising, movie-in-progress, and numerous mentions in television shows and other media.

As for iOS games, I'm not sure. Like Echo said, it's not really easy to see many of the games as worldwide hits with influence that extends beyond the app store. I guess The Secret of Chateau de Moreau as an anime series would be interesting; let's go with that. ^_^

12. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    If we're talking wishful thinking, then Battleheart. I would totally buy a well-made wizard or cleric plush. Too bad most plushes sold here are of poor quality.

If we're talking about games that at least have the broad appeal, then I'm not sure which I would nominate.

13. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Bug heroes. I mean, just picture a Bug Heroes movie. That would be the. Most. Epic. Thing. EVER!

14. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    TINY WINGS :
    The chicken's plush toys, animated tale about a chicken who wants to fly and ends up with an amazing journey through several islands, T-shirt and merchandizes with its background motives, also alarm clock with its soothing soundtrack and mechanical display just like in the game.

CONTRE JOUR :
    Cute creatures that can be an interesting stress ball or sticky throwing toys. A movie with its gloomy extra terrestrial background can be a hit too.

Agree on MovieCat and Gesundheit!. Also if somebody make the plush toy of Papa Sangre, I'll buy it...

15. guttaperk

guttaperk Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    The Barry Steakfries dude is agreeable enough, but lacks cross-racial and cross-gender appeal.

My suggestions:
    Tiny Heroes
    Quarrel
    Mevo
    Pocket RPG
    Kickin' Momma

My personal favourites: Contre Jour, Tiny Wings, and Soosiz;
    and my perversity nominations, the Nethack @ and the bloodspattered Zombie Minesweeper chick.

16. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    Frogatto and Bean's Quest come to mind as the most plushie friendly games not yet mentioned. Both are also mascot-friendly, which I think is an important consideration for such an explosion.

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Well Puffle Launch seems to be a big hit among kids? Pocketgamer.co.uk said they have plushies and I looked at http://clubpenguin.com/ and they seem to sell cards, toys and accessories...