iPhone Cubemen - TD meets RTS!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by seon, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, well I will be honest and say... the launch price is 20% off and the price WILL be going back up to US$4.99 after the first week.

What happens post that is way too far in the future for me to worry about now, but I really can't see myself ever making it free (even free app a day) or reducing it much below it's normal price.

I have a lot of plans for Cubemen post this version, which BTW, is 1.0.3 because all the Steam users became instant beta testers for the 1.0.1 version and I managed to get 2 updates done in the first week to get 1.0.3 extremely rock solid and added a BUNCH of user requested features while I was at it.

My plans are to add the following over the next bunch of updates:
    • More levels
    • More Cubemen units
    • More enemy types
    • More Defense game modes
    • More Skirmish game modes
    • More features...
    Example is the 1.0.4 version I am working on now..
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2619877

Anyway, too much chatter by me. Wasn't mean to sound like a sales pitch!

My point is, price will keep steady and updates will come often (all free). That's my plan.

2. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Sounding great. I like your views on pricing. There is nothing worse than buying a game at launch to support the dev and then them dropping the price to 69p two days after launch.

3. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, I can't argue with that. I can't even read it ;)

4. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    #44 seon, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
    Cubemen - Go for launch!

If you live in the future (Australia that is)... Cubemen is now out!

OSX - http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/cubemen/id466248661?mt=12
    iOS - http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/cubemen/id466248152?mt=8

All other plebs not living in the future (like I do) have to wait until the 29th March (Tomorrow) :D

I am very excited about the iPad launch as Cubemen was originally designed for the iPad so seeing it finally released for the iPad 2 and the new iPad in full Retina glory is like the ultimate fulfilment of my Cubemen dreams!

For those that partake, I hope you enjoy :)

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Actually, if following the rules of most International Date Based Releases in the AppStore:

1) It will be available here in the US at 8:00 PM PST (or 11:00 EST) tonight.
    2) Promo Codes will already work even if not in your country's AppStore yet as long as it is already released somewhere in the world and slated to still release in your country later in the day (i.e. I doubt this would be the case in some sort of "Canada Only" or "Japan Only" release situation).

6. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hmm, I was under the impression that everything still revolved around being released in the US first. I have no idea where I got that snippet of thought from though... maybe a bad dream? :)

Ultimately I don't care... i've been soooo looking forward to this day for weeks!

7. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Well, Let me say that I can't wait to pick it up ;)

8. Kamizak3

Kamizak3 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    School, beta testing apps, learning programming
    California
    The game is crashing on iPad 3 after the 3 sprockets loading screen, anyone having the same problem?

9. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It's working great here on iPad2 and iPad3, iOS 5.0.1 and 5.1 :(

I am looking into it now... no idea what it is yet :(

10. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    issue is fixed. Please try playing again!

11. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The issue turned out to be a server related issue with the database due to a new feature I am working on for the next update that wasn't formatted properly to be ignored by the current live version.

Was 10000% my own silly fault.

I am so sorry for the quick false start, but hope you all enjoy CUbemen now that it is actually loading !

Sheesh I feel like an idiot :(

12. Kamizak3

Kamizak3 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    School, beta testing apps, learning programming
    California
    Thanks! It works again :) , it's so HARD yet SO FUN :D

13. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yay, glad you are up and running. I feel so stupid for the tiny silly mistake I made on the server - ON LAUNCH DAY! of all times :(

14. sakinnuso

sakinnuso Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    #54 sakinnuso, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
    A little concerned with some of the bugs so far. For example, I played two games in single player. In both games, waves simply stopped coming. In the first game, I defeated three waves. Nothing happened. Then, I tried to send my man all the way to the enemy outpost to see if it would trigger an event. Nothing happened. Music continued playing, sound effects were still going, but enemy waves just stopped coming.

I reset, then tried a new game today. Same thing, this time only one wave came.
    I look at the screen, can still manipulate the map and populate troops, but no new enemy waves advance.

Also, what does the little clock icon in the right hand corner do? There's nothing in the tutorial about it.

Lastly, any plans on making troops upgradeable? thats where the depth of tower defense games really comes in. Currently, there's no true strategy other than accounting for terrain height. Positioning of my troop type doesnt cancel each other, there's no upgrading, and there really isnt an exotic soldier type that mixes things up. What about a costly exploding soldier good for one time use, but clears a decent area with blast damage? Perhaps a long range grenadier that the user can selectively target specifc squares accounting for either timing or blast radius? powerful at a distance, but useless close range? Maybe a close combat class with no gun but heavy one-block damage, low cost? Heck, even a very costly soldier that briefly turns enemy types into foes would be interesting! a bit of strategy and variety would go soooooooo far in cubemen!

i dig the simple clean aesthetic, and the idea of multiplayer, but the lack of depth might hold this game back from being more than the newest thursday appstore novelty.

I am currently playing on the iPad 3. easy level. Regular mode. map 2...i skipped map 1.

edit: successfully played a full game on map 1

15. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am aware of a bug related to games that show first play tutorial message. They get stuck sometimes when a double message is show by accident.

This issue is fixed for the next update, but shouldn't show itself after all of the first play messages have been shown.

Cheers :)

16. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I dont think I will ever make units upgradable. It will take away from the simplicity of the game (though never is a long time ;) but I am adding more units types over time. Next up is the Sniper - really low health, but can shoot pretty much the entire length of a level and has a long cool down time, but mega damage on the shots. After that will be some type of shield Cubeman.

I have a lot planned for Cubemen, including new game modes too. Unfortunately I only have 2 hands and have to sleep occasionally too :cool:

17. playpunk

playpunk Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Teacher, curator, author, artist
    San francisco
    Thanks seon, my cubemen runs now too and I've been playing it all day!

Really love the skirmish modes, gonna have to try a live person now....is it possible you could make a local multiplayer or at least Bluetooth so I can play with friends at my house?

Really lovin this...I guess it's a common bug that yr little cube guys fall off the platforms sometimes and get stuck below the level? Happens a lot but don't mind against the ai. That will be another story with someone live tho, thx!

18. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The cubemen units react to the physics from the bullets and projectiles, so yes, they can get pushed off the level if they get over powered. Idea is to move them away before... or sell them after if they can't get back up :)

With regards to local multi-player, that will mean no more cross-platform games and 100% custom solutions per platform.

Sorry, that's not going to happen.

You can play games against your housemates now, it just will go via the game server. performance wise, it should be super quick - I play local games that way here, and you can't get any further away from the game servers than Australia - 500+ ping times and games are rock solid!

The next update will include password protected games so you can host private games!

19. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    I don't like this, I was expecting it to have more TD elements. I hate that the flamethrower guys seem so slow at firing at people too, to the point of frustration

20. seon

seon Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hi Robio,

Thanks for your feedback. I am not sure what you mean about "more TD elements". The only thing missing really is upgradable units, which really doesn't fit this game. Upgrades really only work IMHO for towers where once you buy them, they are stuck and the only way to get value out of it is to upgrade to make it more useful.

In cubemen, you move your units around to flank, or throttle enemies.

What other TD elements do you think Cubemen is missing? I am always open to hearing what users think and seeing if the ideas can be incorporated into an update.

Also, the flame thrower guy is a pretty powerful unit and has a mid range cool down time, but more importantly, he is better designed for shooting down a path, not following a target as they move past, so it's about positioning them well to get maximum firing opportunities.

In ont of the next updates, I will introduce a visual cue for the firing cool down time for each unit so you can see what they are doing.