Your Double Dip (ipad/iphone) Purchases

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BazookaTime, Apr 28, 2010.

1. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Good or Bad impressions.

I have found all of the iugo games to be great because they went with a universal build at no extra cost. They took it a step further and then added multiplayer (same system) to several of those games as well. Cliffed, ZA 2nd wave and Escape.

Card Dealer-I enjoyed this game on the iphone but it is a pretty simple game. I went ahead and purchased the ipad version and I am very happy with it. I can't say that there is a huge difference in the graphics but they added a great two player split screen mode that is fantastic.

Face Fighter HD-The iphone version is okay and they same can be said for the ipad version. However, the ipad version has a fun two player split screen mode which makes the game worth while.

10 Pin Shuffle-This is really a great game and since it is also a universal build, you only need to pay once.

I will add some more of my double dip purchases later and as I pick them up. It can be confusing to figure out what games are worth the second expense and which games are quick cash ins.

2. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    I don't have an iPad, but Plants Vs. Zombies would be something I double-dipped on if I had the opportunity. The iPad version looks SICK

3. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Plants Vs Zombies and Minigore HD.

Wouldn't double dip for any other app.

4. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Double dip - nice way to put it

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Chaos Rings, when it comes out. Tempted by Plants vs. Zombies, too.

6. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    So far just Warpgate, which I will probably not play anymore in anticipation of Galaxy on Fire 2...

and Real Racing, which is 100% worth it...

I do plan on Getting Spawn HD

Maybe:

Chaos Rings
    NOVA
    Modern Combat
    COD: Zombies
    SF IV if they make one

7. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Most of my double purchases have been largely positive because I won't purchase something that feels like they take no effort to port to the iphone. For an example I got an air hockey and solitaire iPad app as a free upgrade because the developers were generous make them universal but would never pay for a native iPad version.

Pinball HD and Cocoto Kart online were positive purchases because the apps were cheap and the experience feels vastly improved because of the bigger screen size. I also got Soosiz HD for 99 cents but I really don't think playing it on a big screen makes that much of an improvement after playing it on my iPhone. It was fantastic price, but I would feel a bit let down if I payed the original 4.99 asking price. I have to give major props to the Soosiz devs for including a lite hd version though.

Flight Control was a good purchase to me and even prefer it over Harbor Master which was free. The 2 player modes on the same screen are a blast to play and it just feels nicer to play on the iPad. I probably won't pay more than 5 bucks for this and I'm really glad the developer put in a little extra content for double dippers like me because it shows they they do care about their customers unlike the Fieldrunners devs, who charged for extra maps on the iPhone version and then charged 7.99 on the iPad with no extra modes.

Real Racing and Plants vs Zombies were my last 2 double purchases. These cost about 10 bucks each Again these games feel nicer on the big screen but I can't help but feel disappointed that Firemint didn't implement the 43 cars on a single race like they showed off on the 3GS. It's still a fun game though but I think it would have been wiser to wait for the iPad sequel since I already had the iPhone version. PvZ was a great purchase because it's one of my favorite defense games and offers a good mix of constant tapping and building without feeling repetitive unlike those other flick type defend the base games. Even though I already have the iPhone version, the iPad app feels much nicer because you can use all your fingers (and it will register them all)
    to tap around at the same time when things get hectic :)

I probably won't be doing too many more double dipping in the future though. I'll stick to my current iphone apps for gaming on the go OR get universal ones. Of course they'll always be the rare exception if I see something that feels brilliant like Spider or Ozone. If a developer decides to make 2 versions then I'll probably just purchase the iPad app within a reasonable price to me.

8. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    #9 Touchgamer3g, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    Which of the following is worth the double dip for the iPad? I already own all of them for my iPod Touch:

Flight Control HD
    Plants vs Zombies HD
    Labyrinth HD
    Touchgrind HD
    Spider: Bryce Manor HD
    Diner Dash: Grilling Green
    Osmos HD
    Fruit Ninja HD

9. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I don't personally own an iPad but have played quite a few of the games you listed. Personally, any game on a bigger screen is worth it, but out of the ones you listed, I'd definitely say Touchgrind and Fruit Ninja are some of the more worth it ones.

Touchgrind HD- The iPhone/iPod Touch version is seriously overrated in my opinion because the screen is simply too small. But when I played it on the iPad, I had a whole different experience.

Fruit Ninja HD- Mainly said this because it was on sale for Thanksgiving/Black Friday for $2.99 I believe, but I'm not sure if the sale is still going on.

10. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Bad news is, eventually you're going to want the HD version of all those games. You started out by buying one, awed with what you saw, and set out to collect the rest one by one. This is a road of no return. :D

11. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    The iPad versions are always better unless there is no hd version and u have to upscale it as some games upscale crappy.