Sony MDRV6 Studio Headphones $55 at Amazon (1/2 off retail)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by pluto6, Jun 29, 2014.

1. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I am not sure if I am supposed to link so I won't.

For those people that don't know a lot about headphones, these have been around for YEARS!. They sold for $100 15 - 20 years ago, and they still go for about $100.

They are studio monitor reference phones, so if you like bass, or treble, or some other coloration of the sound - don't get these. These reproduce the sound that is there. They also don't have mics, volume controls, or any other stuff.

What you will get is a 5 - 30,000 HZ set of headphones that has been a great value since they came out 30 years ago, and continues to be a standard in the music industry and for listeners.

There are better headphones out there, and there sure a lot of worse ones, but this is a deal that is hard to beat for price / performance. I have never seen them this cheap before - they will generally go on sale about $70 or so a couple times / year.

Mods, this may need to be moved, but it certainly qualifies as a great deal, and for folks that want an inexpensive, great set of cans, they won't go wrong with these (mind the caveats above about sound coloration).

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    1/4" or 3.5mm? I could use a pair of reference phones.

Attached Files:

3. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #3 geoelectric, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    Both, assuming it's still the same packaging as the last set I bought a few years ago. Comes with 1/8" default, with a 1/4" threaded adapter.

These are great headphones, albeit a slight bit bassier than pure reference (this is a good thing, for me, and they're nowhere near dark or bass-heavy). The downsides are that the pleather ear cups eventually start flaking badly after a few years---but are replaceable with inexpensive velour cups off Amazon--and the cord is a hard-attached long curly phone cord.

They're perfect for a DJ booth, a desk or at home, not so much out and about because of the cord. They fold very small for travel but that cord ends up kind of swinging.

That said, hard to beat them for $55. You can usually find them around $80 street. I've had two pairs over twenty years and (cups aside) they really do last forever. They're worth picking up as a backup pair if nothing else.

4. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Yep I got them for about $80 a few months backs, great headphones classics

5. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

We never get the good sales in Canada... and prices are generally 30%-50% higher, even though the exchange rate is a lot closer than that.

6. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Agreed. Great cans, and great post.

These things are TANKS. I've had 2 pairs for 15+ years, and I quite frankly wish they'd wear out already!

Reference phones for 55 bucks? Yeah, get 'em.

DBC

7. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Got em. Free shipping too. A few hours later they were up to 80+ bucks. I bought em when there was ONE left #.

8. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
  9. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I was very surprised at the total lack of comments on the actual day of the sale, and then a couple of days later - lots of comments. :roll eyes:

However, I am glad you grabbed them Greyskull, and I think you will enjoy them. I got a pair as well, my last pair literally got chewed up by my dog (she was just a couple of months old, they got left on the floor - and anything on the floor is fair game for a puppy :D)

These new ones are made in Thailand - the old ones made in Japan - I don't think that will make a difference - Thailand makes some very good quality electronics, but we will see. Amazon generally has a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee for most things.

@Gov - hope you enjoy those in-ear. I have a couple sets of in-ear the Shure 5s and Ultimate Ear 10s and I gotta say I like them for laying down in bed, but they don't hold a candle to my Senn HD600's - love those things.

10. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #10 geoelectric, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    TBH, I was waiting to see if they'd move/remove your post before replying, since it's not really in the right section.

If/when you hit the flaky pleather cups problem (or if your ears sweat or touch the drivers) then try the velour cups:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2

They're a direct swap. I put up detailed instructions on how to switch them out without hassle in a review, which I think currently shows as the top one.

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I might forget, but thanks. I used them for years with the covers worn off - never even thought about replacing the ear cups. Sometimes I can be so dumb... :eek:

12. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    It's why I replaced mine, before the Internet brought all this to my doorstep. :)

I like the velour cups enough to consider them an upgrade; I'd probably put them on even a new pair.

13. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I can't enjoy then yet @pluto. I don't have the right equipment to show their full potential. I need an external DAC/amp and HD lossless music 24-bit/192hz to know the truth!

14. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    These aren't the new ones-if you mean the 7600's which are virtually the same. Btw you can buy replacement pads via amazon as well.

15. fumbles

fumbles Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    I always hear about how long these last but are the new ones still built as well as they were 15+ years ago?

IIRC the old ones were made in Japan while nowadays it's China.

16. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Yeah - for critical listening (not very often these days...) I use a CD player as I don't bother converting my CD's to lossless audio (so I don't have to get the DAC). I have 2 amps - a little FIO E11 which is a tiny little thing and actually quite nice, that I use for traveling. Also portable (barely) is the JDS O2 amp which is famous / infamous depending on your views. It is supposed to be extremely neutral, but not having a number of amps to compare it to -I have no idea. However, it was inexpensive, and has impressive specs, and drives the high impedance cans like my sennheisers. There are a lot of great, pretty inexpensive amps out there - good headphone amps used to run in the couple thousand $$ - which is insane (meaning impossible to afford). JDS Labs has a nice DAC/ Amp combo for around $300 I think - but again, there are lot of offerings that are good from 200 - 400 - not a tiny investment, but not totally unreasonable (at least to me). Let us know how you like them once you get the set up.

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    No, I meant the "new" V6's are no longer manufactured in Japan. They are now manufactured in Thailand - but I am hopeful they will have the same build quality they used to. Just got mine in the mail today. I'll post later to comment on them.

@fumbles - the headphones are made in Thailand, the soft case is made in China (at least that is what the box says).

18. tunaVille

tunaVille Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Sony will also replace the covers at no cost, no matter how old. I have done it with Sony for years

19. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Oh, wow. That's good to know. The velour ones came highly recommended at head-fi.org, and I haven't regretted them, but you can't beat a free replacement!

20. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Do the velour cover add a little space? After using them again today, I am reminded that they really sit right on your ears. A little space I think would be nice and comfortable.