Universal Max Payne Mobile (by Rockstar Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Apr 11, 2012.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Aiming while shooting is a must for FPS and for cover-based shooters. The thing about Max Payne on the PC is that you often end up moving rather than aiming; on hardcore difficulty you simply don't have time to place your shots and instead just weave your way (in bullet time or otherwise) through the pack of enemies, firing from the hip, as it were. That experience is not that different from the current set up on iOS. I don't think aiming-while-shooting would add much to the gameplay.

As you said, we can agree to disagree. But I would say that any action game fan who is waiting till the controls are "fixed" is doing him or herself a disservice.

2. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    #222 Trev1, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    My apologies mi lady :D I have a bad habit with that....but I must say that Iam happy to be graced with the presence of a girl/woman gamer on the forum....on my forum they are hard to come by lol! hats off to the female Max Payne lovers ;)

alright chico....but let me ask....what do you expect? this is iOS....and what do you suggest they do as developers...please explain your solution since you took the time to make a Youtube video about it....Iam a gamer of all platforms and spend avid time on each system....and all i can say is...I have a iphone...for iphone games...a 3ds to play great 3d games....a psp and vita to rock out to sony games.....and thats how it goes...
    If you went to sooo much extent to upload a video kinda insinuating that they did a wack job on Max Payne mobile's controls to the world...then plz revel the solution....or go play a diff platform man....all Im sayin is if rapid fire while jumping or during Bullet-time is really breaking your stones why not say "O well" and go play Unit 13 on the vita....

and yes i find it AMAZING and Enjoyable that I have freakin Max Payne on my phone and ipad...and have no issue or challenge using tap to shoot...and can do without rapid fire while jumping BS.....NICE JOB ROCKSTAR! First GTA3 and now this! ...Im not worthy

3. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I expect the same level of control other iOS shooters - like the Max Payne clone, 9mm - offer me. Nothing more.

I did explained the easy solution on the polite email I sent the developers and reproduced here, albeit it's a pretty obvious solution if you watch the whole video.

4. MavericianStorm

MavericianStorm Active Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Professional awesome person
    Saving President Ronnie
    Yes there was, but it sucked and wasn't cannon

5. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Is it just me or the viewing sensitivity keeps on resetting when I exit?

6. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    I wonder if you could mod this game like GTA3? If so can someone see if they can re-enable the bullet casings :)

7. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    If you can mod this game I demand Kung fu mod!

8. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    i 2nd the mate there, aiming and shooting is a must for TPS too, and in the PC you could do both, i dont understand why you cant just drag the aim when you press the fire button, it would add A LOT to the gameplay, cause the way it is it feels clunky and unnatural.

9. Daft Punk

Daft Punk Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    It seems to me like you are, since you're recommending to others not to buy the game yet until the controls are "fixed". IMO your letter came across as a little rude though, it seemed to me that you were trying to tell them how to do their job.

But in saying that, shooting and aiming at the same time would actually be a good improvement in the controls. For instance, shoot dodging and then moving the reticule whilst shooting would be improved due to it, because at the moment you have to shootdodge, aim, shoot, aim and shoot again, which can be a bit difficult considering you're not in the air for long.

I still think the game can be enjoyed in it's current state, but that would make it more enjoyable and easier to play.

10. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    I played the game last night,and it's pretty sad R* decided to use Social Club instead of Game Center,it would perfectly fit in (Leaderboards and Achievements too).

11. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    its just not natural to no being able to aim while you shoot and tapping to shoot is not that accurate, the enemies are way faster, good thing this port is in like SUPER EASY

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Never said you couldn't aim and shoot on a PC. My point is that when I play the game on a PC I often find myself moving to square off a shot rather than panning. Why? Because I'm trying to avoid getting shot, and finessing my aim just makes me into a sitting target.

I've made it all the way to the gunship level on the iOS version, and so far I don't find myself playing any different because I can't aim and shoot at the same time. And once I moved around the controls, I find that I have plenty of time to place my shots while in bullet time. As I mentioned earlier, the default arrangement is pretty terrible.

13. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    im not saying its hard, but you cant deny is not awkward and that it feels unnatural, is not hard cause its on like super doofy easy and 1 pain killer will restore all your health, i dont see who wouldnt think it would be better with that small twitch of aiming and shooting at the same time.

14. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Nope, you are 12

15. warbot

warbot New Member

Mar 10, 2012
    Just wondering does it work on a ipod touch 3 gen?

16. yUlek

yUlek Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Probably only the 32 and 64Gb versions. Is it possible to change difficulity level? At the beggining i have only the easiest unlocked, and enemies are too easy to kill :/

17. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    you have to finish the game to unlock othe difficulties i would think

18. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    I see you haven't learned much from the last time you tried to harrass me. But I'm going to be the bigger man, despite being 16, and just back away.

You may procceed to either leave this thread or troll someone else.

19. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    I am playing the game on an iPhone 4 and it's not snowing in it like it is in Sanuku's video. Am I missing a setting or is this feature only available on the iPhone 4s or iPad.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yep -- just like in the PC/PS2 versions. If you want more of a challenge in the first play through, just turn off auto-aim.