Universal Starbase Orion - (by Chimera Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    To syntheticvoid and sladeums.

1: My ipad2 was my 50th birthday present from all my family (who will be still paying it off until xmas) I did not buy it nor have the money to buy one.

2: I am NOT saying the game isn't worth that, I just don't think a lite version is out of the question when the full game costs so much. No, I can't afford to drop £5 on a game that I might not like or might be too complex for me.

a lite version would give me the chance to see if I like it or its too complex, even if the lite version was limited to 3-5 planets or even a timed demo, say 30 mins gameplay. That would give me time to see if I would like it.

If I played a lite version and liked it then I would pay the asking price for the full game.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yeah, sorry, I was caught in a bad mood.

totally understand. I checked out loads of lite versions for games over $5, and there's a few that I wound up not getting because I really didn't like the lites, and was very thankful that I didn't just throw down the money for them.

3. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Spent most of the day reading the Starbase Orion forums, decided to go for it.
    downloading now :)

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    wow... update 1.1.3 hit yesterday...

Game just keeps getting better and better. Thank you so much for all of your hard work! =oD

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I doubt you'll be disappointed :) Remember to give the asynchronous multiplayer a go, as there is a community of (really brutally good :) ) Starbase Orion players who play online regularly. We'll see you out among the stars, the final frontier... ;)

6. KittyMac

KittyMac Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    #326 KittyMac, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
    New Leaders Feature - Teasers!

We've been hard at work bringing the next most requested feature to Starbase Orion! Between now and the update I will release some TA forum exclusive profiles of our eclectic band of upcoming leaders.

Enjoy!

(Click for hi-res image)
    xinkrek.jpg

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woohoo!!

Very excited that the best 4x iOS title is still growing.

8. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    (Click for hi-res image)
    rogue.jpg

9. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm still hoping for a diplomacy and trading update at some point.

10. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Diplomacy and trading are in the works as "the next big thing" after colony & military leaders.

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    That's great news, I'll be looking forward to that update.

12. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    (Click for hi-res image)
    eesathu2.jpg

13. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    That is super exciting! I suck at this game but have been playing almost since release. I LOVE it and try to rate it 5 stars every time you guys release an update. Keep up the amazing work :)

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I am planning on playing this game a lot after I quite my job, leave my wife and kids, and get all moved into my log cabin.

Cant wait, game was fun even before all the updates :)

15. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    (Click for hi-res image)
    morph.jpg

16. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    (Click for hi-res image)
    gorzhons.jpg

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    A tricky question....how much 'newbie' friendly is the game?
    I never had a thing for 4X games, especially without a story, nor for micromanagement, but I'm strongly attracted by this game (I love sci fi, exploration and the dev commitment).
    The only similar game I played and loved was Star Wars:Rebellion (loved using Han Solo or princess Leia as spies), but the setting played a huge part (I love Star Trek too).
    So...are there at least many random events to be found?

Thanks!

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #338 syntheticvoid, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
    It took me a while to get into this one. This was also my first 4X game, and I was COMPLETELY lost... tried reading through the help sections... just didn't work for me...

I had to work my way up to it by playing some more newbie friendly 4X type games; 9 Colonies and Vincere Totus Astrum helped me a lot in the beginning (it wasn't out when I started, but Spaceward Ho is another one that's newbie friendly, and would be a good starting off point as well)... and then I got Ascendancy, which is more depthy, but still fairly easy to understand. I also played some fleet heavy RTS titles - Blue Libra, Land Air Sea Warfare, Red Conquest... -

After that, I re-read the help/tutorial info in Starbase Orion, and started playing. The first couple of games, I gave up pretty quickly, but then stuck with it... and now... it's easily my favorite 4X title. The depth is pretty crazy... but after you get it down, it's one of the most rewarding games available for the iOS (throughout any genre).

Edit

This is also a great place to get info about the game, and how to play...

http://www.chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/forums/showthread.php?tid=18

The Starbase Orion Forums... ^^ that thread is titled "Early Game Tutorial for Absolute Newcomers" - also has loads of great info for when you're starting out. If you go there, and read through the posts while playing your first couple of games, you'll probably be able to catch on fairly quickly...

I didn't know about the SO forums when I first started... so I took the long route... =oP

But if you're patient, and dedicated... you'll catch on, and be taking over the Universe in no time... then eventually be battling it out online... =oD

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks.

BTW...can you play in mp with a friend (that you select) or it is random?
    I do not get it from the app description.

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    There's pass and play, so you can play on the same device, and Multiplayer through Game Center... so if you have your friends GameCenter name, yes, you can play in MP with a friend that you select... or a random person.