New tool for mobile optimized 2D game development - ex2D for Unity

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by nantas, Aug 10, 2011.

1. nantas

nantas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Designer at aBitGames Studio
    Xiamen
    #1 nantas, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
    Hi dear folks,

Not sure about how many devs here use Unity for iOS game development. If you are interested in develop 2D sprite based game in Unity or if you just want to see how it can be done nice and easy in Unity, please read on.

ex2D is a Unity extension developed by our programmer of aBit Games. This tool provides easy-to-use 2D sprite development interface and workflow, and has high performance on mobile devices.

Checkout the frontpage of ex2D for detailed feature list and beta download link:
    http://www.ex-dev.com/ex2d/index.html

Here's the first episode of ex2D video tutorial series, in this video I walked through a simple example about making static sprite, sprite animation and texture atlas with ex2D in Unity.

Why should I bother looking if I have cocos2d already?

Well cocos2d is indeed a very elegant and powerful sdk for iOS game development. But Unity and ex2D do have their own strength.

For Unity you can integrate 3D content in your game with ease; it deploys easily on different platforms; and in the future you can play Unity games in your browser through Flash player.

ex2D does not only provide Unity with powerful and easy 2D sprite support. In the near future, it will have a lot of feature that can attract cocos2D users. For example built in sprite font support with dynamic color and style; Bitmap font and sprite share the same atlas to further improve performance; and skeleton driven sprite animation integrated with Unity object hierarchy.

If you are looking for a new 2D/2.5D game develop solution, please watch the video and check the link above. ex2D is still in its beta and totally free to use!

Any feedback would be highly appreciated!;)

================

updated with new video tutorial, this time I show the strength of combining sprite animation and motion animation together with ex2D to create awesome looking animations!

Enjoy!

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Looks pretty cool, I'll pass it along to our programming guy

3. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Nice tool.
    If I didn't already have bought one, I would have probably try this one.
    Look user firendly.

4. nantas

nantas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Designer at aBitGames Studio
    Xiamen
    updated with new video tutorial, showing the combination power of ex2D sprite animation and Unity's motion animation editor.

Any feedback is highly appreciated!