Promo Code forum for Registered only!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by loves2spoon, Oct 29, 2009.

1. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Who else thinks the promo code section should be hidden to non registered members?

funny how a dev post's promo codes and there's 1 reply with 150 views and all codes gone... lol

2. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    ive thought this exact same thing so many times!! i think that you should have at least 50-100 posts before your allowed to enter the promo code section. itd make things alot more fair -and- cut down on the lurkers. i hope they implement a restriction of some sort soon :(

3. whatever

whatever Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2009
    The whole point of devs getting promo codes is so they can get exposure for their game. Restricting access = less viewers = less exposure. Devs have plenty of ways to give codes to members only if they so choose. And why is lurkers getting codes "not fair?"

4. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    why should ppl who are not active in the forums be rewarded? ppl just coming onto the site for free games is "Fair" in what sense? how do u justify that?

5. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    This issue has been discussed before many times and there are many threads about it. Ultimately, the devs have the right to giveaway codes to their games as they see fit. If they want to distribute by means of PM (so that only registered users can get a code) then its up to them. If not, its also up to them.

Plus, im not sure we want the forum to be full of "registered" lurkers. Just because you are registered does not mean you will be an active forum member.

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    i get that its the dev's right, i just still see it as wrong

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

And just because you're an active forum member does not mean you will add anything to the community. If we had a 100 post minimum on a promo code forum, we'd see endless amount of useless replies as people desperately "+1" their way to free games.

Also, how many times have you seen a developer come and introduce their game and give out promo codes as their first post? If you needed 100 posts to see the promo code forum, they wouldn't be able to give codes out. ;)

8. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    well im sure there'd be a way around that, and yeaa 100 post is excessive but u get the idea..just SOMETHING to hinder lurkers would be nice

9. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    a
    +1 :D

10. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Just playing Devil's advocate for a minute...
    Everyone seems to always blame the "lurkers" for taking all the promo codes. Has anyone considered the possibility that there are a whole lot of inconsiderate members who take codes, and don't bother to post a "thanks" or the number of the code they just took? With over 30,000 members, there are bound to be more than a few bad apples...
    :rolleyes:

11. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    +2 [​IMG]

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Not really. I'm sure it's happened but the lurkers always outnumber us.

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    1) Developers can do what they want with the codes.

2) I'd be willing to bet TA readership would go down if there were no public/free promo codes. And readership is what makes the adds pay, which funds the site. I'm all for anything that helps keep TA going, because I really like it here. :)

I will fully admit that I lurked a few codes, then joined TA so I could get another. ;) I think I've been a productive member of the site, but I bet the percentage of my posts that are "Used ZZZZZZZZZZ, thanks!" is pretty scary.

What can I say, TA has been good to me. :D

14. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    dude even I know arn and the fellas have said no to this exact thing so many times, why start a pointless thread?

its so childlike to ask for something over and over until you get your way.

15. wmcwmc

wmcwmc Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Sumwhere
    I come to this site every day but I just dont post on the forums nor take any promo codes...