Game Attraction Factors

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Panda Rascal, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Panda Rascal

Panda Rascal Active Member

Feb 13, 2014
    #1 Panda Rascal, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    What attracts you to download and try a game? How would you rank these factors. What are your top 3?

A. Graphics
    B. Story / Content
    C. Gameplay / Mechanics
    D. Rating
    E. Music
    F. App Size.
    G. Availability
    H. Developer
    I. Price

*Edit, I added price.

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #2 JCho133, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    Well to get me to actually look at the app when I see it on the AppStore the 3 things that attract me are probably

Developer
    Rating
    Title

Then when it comes to actually downloading an app, it's complicated, as I'm rarely flying blind on the AppStore. But on the odd occassion that I am...

Developer
    Rating (I look at the "all reviews" as it's a better representation)
    Gameplay/Mechanics

But most of the time I approach apps the same way I do other games, and look into things thoroughly. So I'll be looking at forum impressions, gameplay videos, etc., but the most important thing is definitely gameplay. Graphics are more of a bonus, and will usually not stop me from trying out a game. Story only matters when I'm looking for a story driven experience (a la Dead Space Mobile, Deus Ex: The Fall).

Just look at Threes! for example. Stellar gameplay and very pleasing visuals.

Graphics are just a thing that will make the difference between a 4.5 and a 5 star review from critics.

But there are definitely games out there that genuinely would be less valuable without their great or unique visuals (I'm looking at you Year Walk, Infinity Blade, Super Hexagon, and every game with outrageous vector graphics).

Wow, that turned into more than I had anticipated haha. Hope I actually helped, and didn't just say things you knew already ;)

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    1. Gameplay
    2. Story
    3. Graphics

4. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    Amazing reply! You gave me a different perspective in watching out for games. Thank you very much! :)

5. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    Thank you for replying! I need it for a survey. :)

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #6 psj3809, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    Dont have a panda in them!

C) Gameplay mechanics - Dont care if a game has simple graphics, gameplay is key
    H) Developer - Theres quite a few devs i follow on twitter and buy most of their games

Dont care so much about graphics or music, i want the filesize to be low not huge. The rating i dont care for as so many seem fake on the app store, same for reviews so i ignore most of these now. If a game has the word 'flappy' in it i wont ever download it.

I like a lot of original games so if its another endless runner/Angry Birds clone/Flappy clone i'll stay away. If the dev gives his game a 5 star rating on the thread i'll also stay away

7. AxBattler

AxBattler Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Programmer at 48h Studio
    Italy
    For me I'd say...

C. Gameplay / Mechanics
    It has to be something I think I could like, of course.

D. Rating
    If it's low I usually don't bother.

A. Graphics
    Impressive screenshots could convince me to try a game of a genre I usually don't play.

H. Developer
    If I loved other games from the same developer it's almost certain I'll try it out.

I'd also add the price. I don't like the freemium model, so I usually don't download free games with lots of ads and consumable IAPs.
    At the same time I won't pay more than two dollars for something that I'm not so sure of. At 0.99$ I'm willing to take a chance even if I'm not completely convinced.

8. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'd have to say c, d and h.

But I take also take other factors such as file size, price, iaps.
    I have no qualms about buying a high priced game but I'll be more likely to research it more, I pay little attention to AppStore ratings, I go by what the people here say. The presence of iaps is also a factor, especially in a high priced game.

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I have to say C, B then A.

Gameplay is the most important, no question.
    Content goes next, too simple or too basic isnt good.
    Then graphics, have to appeal to me somehow.

And you should add IAP. That something I look on every app I buy.

Dont care who the developer is (but if I know them, better), dont trust iTunes ratings and reviews, dont care about app size unless its exagerated related to the content, couldnt care less about music (most of the time I play on mute), so if I like what I see on a trailer most of the time I buy it.

10. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    Thanks for replying! I too want a low sized game. Oh and I didn't know the dev could rate his own game. hahaha! Biased! :D

Oh and you don't like pandas? >.<

11. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    Thanks for that suggestion! I will add the price to the survey. I agree, freemiums aren't really free with those ads and stuff. Thanks for your contribution. :)

12. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    I see, I see. Thank you for your contribution! :)

13. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#13 Bronxsta, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    1. Gameplay / Mechanics
    I consider gameplay the most critical part of any game, more than visuals, story, music, etc. Without fun polished gameplay, the experience is already flawed in a fundamental way.

2. Developer
    Considering how open the App Store is and how easy it is for games to be submitted, there's a lot of crap games, a lot of hidden gems, and then there are a handful of developers and publishers who can be trusted to consistently release quality experiences. Foursaken, Radiangames, Crescent Moon, Bulkypix, to name a few. On the flip side, I almost always support indie devs, like those behind such excellent titles as Hoplite, Ninjin, Boson X, etc.

3. App Size
    I have an 8gb iPhone 4 so I'm always battling for space, sometimes barely having 50mbs left on my device and always needing to delete games to install new ones. So app size is important for me

And two that aren't mentioned but influenced my decisions over the last two years:

Forum Impressions
    I trust and respect the impressions and opinions here over any review site, especially the members who I know share similar tastes in games as me.

IAP model
    I don't believe IAP is as evil as some here do, but I won't support games and developers that abuse freemium elements. So how IAP focused a game is, if it's fair or if it's full of paywalls and timers and obnoxious ads, absolutely influences the games I'm interested in

14. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    1. Developer
    2. Gameplay / Mechanics
    3. Story / Content

15. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    Thanks! This is very interesting! The mention of forum impressions and especially the IAP model is really a good point. Thank you for your inputs! :)

16. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    Thanks for your contribution! :) Thank you! :)